Professional Bodies and regulation

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
myarka
Topic starter
(@myarka)
Illustrious Member

There have been some very enlightening threads about professional associations/bodies and regulation. Some see it an essential part of Complementary Therapy practice and the wider acceptance of therapies. Personally I've found these threads very useful as I've been setting up my own business.

Therefore many posters now know with confidence that for any given therapy they can go to the appropriate association website and get a general understanding of what they are about. If the association has guidelines and regulation it can also be seen as a place that raises professional standards through accredited training and standards.

However, quite often we see Doctor this or that quoted for their authority and views in some CAM disciplines, but do we apply the same discernment, or do we even know if they're a medical doctor or a PhD? Have other posters ever checked a doctor's status with the GMC for UK registered doctors, or state regulatory bodies in the USA?

Myarka

3 Replies
CarolineN
(@carolinen)
Famed Member

It is certainly very confusing here in UK when someone with a PhD calls themselves a doctor, thus in USA it seems more common to refer to a medical doctor as MD. That distinction does not seem to have crossed the big pond yet.

When a PhD doctor writes something with his/her name at the bottom it may not even be in a discipline that they studied and I have found it difficult to find that out - and take them all with a pinch of salt unless stated explicitly.

(@binah)
Famed Member

Have other posters ever checked a doctor's status with the GMC for UK registered doctors, or state regulatory bodies in the USA?

I just tried to do this this afternoon, a cousin of mine is a Consultant at two hospitals in the UK - but I couldn't locate her when I did a search on the GMC website.

Binah
xXx

myarka
Topic starter
(@myarka)
Illustrious Member

I just tried to do this this afternoon, a cousin of mine is a Consultant at two hospitals in the UK - but I couldn't locate her when I did a search on the GMC website.

Binah
xXx

Hi Binah,

This might explain why your cousin isn't listed:

so it could be about the year of registration?

Namaste,
Myarka.

Share: