Lemon water causing bloatedness

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
66.6 K Views
Topic starter
(@oshirowanen)
Eminent Member

I've been reading about the benefits of lemon water and it sounded really amazing for such a simple thing. I've been trying it out for the last week and I am not impressed at all. All week I have been experiencing generalised stomach pains and bloatedness. 1 of the main benefits of lemon water was to reduce stomach bloatedness.

So, I've stopped having lemon water since Friday, and on Saturday and Sunday, my stomach bloatedness has reduced, i.e. I never had a bloated stomach before started lemon water, and not it's returning to normal after stopping lemon water. I started lemon water for all it's other benefits.

Why would I be getting a bloated stomach after drinking lemon water plus the generalised stomach pain?

All I am having is a warm glass of water in the morning with a quarter of a lemon hand squeezed in about an hour before breakfast. After this, I have a bloated stomach all day. I've done this for a week and for a week I have had a bloated stomach. I've stopped not for 2 day and the bloated stomach has started to reduce and the pain has almost gone...

18 Replies
CarolineN
(@carolinen)
Famed Member

Hi Oshirowanen

It's interesting that you have this reaction. I have some thoughts about it.

Often the lemon water is used first thing in the morning to help empty out the contents of the gall bladder which have collected overnight. If you follow this with oat bran this will help mop up unwanted hormones and cholesterol (wheat bran does not do this) to excrete them. This is usually considered a good thing as it helps avoid reabsorbing them lower down the digestive tract.

If you have an intolerance reaction to citrus (lemon), then this could cause bloating. Does other citrus fruit cause bloating too?

The other thought is having so much bile entering the digestive tract all at once might sort of overload the system. If you try a teaspoon of cider vinegar in the water instead and get the same reaction then perhaps that is the cause. If not it could be a citrus intolerance.

If intolerance is involved then you need to avoid it completely for a month or two and try it again in quantity and see what the reaction is. I would also take a quality to help reduce inflammation in the gut from toxins or intolerance reactions.

If that doesn't sort it out see a registered [url]Nutritional Therapist[/url] who will sort out a protocol for you.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

What were you hoping the lemon water would do? Was there a specific thing you thought it would help with?

Topic starter
(@oshirowanen)
Eminent Member

Hi Oshirowanen

It's interesting that you have this reaction. I have some thoughts about it.

Often the lemon water is used first thing in the morning to help empty out the contents of the gall bladder which have collected overnight. If you follow this with oat bran this will help mop up unwanted hormones and cholesterol (wheat bran does not do this) to excrete them. This is usually considered a good thing as it helps avoid reabsorbing them lower down the digestive tract.

If you have an intolerance reaction to citrus (lemon), then this could cause bloating. Does other citrus fruit cause bloating too?

The other thought is having so much bile entering the digestive tract all at once might sort of overload the system. If you try a teaspoon of cider vinegar in the water instead and get the same reaction then perhaps that is the cause. If not it could be a citrus intolerance.

If intolerance is involved then you need to avoid it completely for a month or two and try it again in quantity and see what the reaction is. I would also take a quality to help reduce inflammation in the gut from toxins or intolerance reactions.

If that doesn't sort it out see a registered [url]Nutritional Therapist[/url] who will sort out a protocol for you.

Thanks for the reply. I wil try out cider vinegar asap to see what happens. Thanks.

Topic starter
(@oshirowanen)
Eminent Member

What were you hoping the lemon water would do? Was there a specific thing you thought it would help with?

Some of the benefits listed here:
[url]10 Reasons Why You Should Drink Lemon Water[/url]

Topic starter
(@oshirowanen)
Eminent Member

Just an update. Took about a week after stopping the lemon water for the bloating and the stomach pain to enough for me to no longer notice it.

This morning I have had a teaspoon of cider vinegar in water and have not experienced any bloating and/or stomach pains at all. I will continue for a week to see if it does cause any bloating/pain.

(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

You may want to increase the amount you are putting in the water over the next few days - I have found over the years that if I take less than a tablespoon of ACV, very little happens! I mix mine in warm water with a teaspoon of manuka honey. Both appear to be contributing to my ongoing fairly healthy life!

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

You may want to increase the amount you are putting in the water over the next few days - I have found over the years that if I take less than a tablespoon of ACV, very little happens! I mix mine in warm water with a teaspoon of manuka honey. Both appear to be contributing to my ongoing fairly healthy life!

I remember my parents taking cider vinegar and honey over 40 years ago to help with arthritis..

Personally I think anything that encourages people to drink more water has GOT to be good.

Topic starter
(@oshirowanen)
Eminent Member

Well, the week is over, and although the cider vinegar didn't cause bloating, it caused lots and lots of heartburn and also caused pains in left side of my waist (details at the end).

So before I tried any of these, I was not experiencing bloating or heartburn.

Week 1: Quarter of a lemon squeezed into warm water in the morning caused me bloating.
Week 2: Stopped the lemon water and the bloating slowly disappeared. Took about a week.
Week 3: A teaspoon of cider vinegar in warm water in the mornings gave me very uncomfortable heartburn, still experiencing it.
Week 4: I have stopped the cider vinegar and am hoping the heartburn will be gone by tomorrow.

The pains to the side of the waist was on the left side, I think the kidney type of area. The pain would last about 30 minutes soon after waking up and would go like this:

1. Pain for about 20 seconds
2. No pain for about 90 second
3. Pain for about 20 seconds
4. No pain for about 90 seconds

This would continue for about 30 minutes. This happened 3 times during this week. It wasn't extreme pain, more of a dull pain where I felt look squeezing my waist area, roughly around the kidney area I think.

So what does all this mean? Why the bloating with lemon water, and why the heartburn and waist pain with cider vinegar?

I just wanted to start lemon water because of the benefits, I wasn't expecting all this...

(@hgregersen)

Well, the week is over, and although the cider vinegar didn't cause bloating, it caused lots and lots of heartburn and also caused pains in left side of my waist (details at the end).

So before I tried any of these, I was not experiencing bloating or heartburn.

Week 1: Quarter of a lemon squeezed into warm water in the morning caused me bloating.
Week 2: Stopped the lemon water and the bloating slowly disappeared. Took about a week.
Week 3: A teaspoon of cider vinegar in warm water in the mornings gave me very uncomfortable heartburn, still experiencing it.
Week 4: I have stopped the cider vinegar and am hoping the heartburn will be gone by tomorrow.

The pains to the side of the waist was on the left side, I think the kidney type of area. The pain would last about 30 minutes soon after waking up and would go like this:

1. Pain for about 20 seconds
2. No pain for about 90 second
3. Pain for about 20 seconds
4. No pain for about 90 seconds

This would continue for about 30 minutes. This happened 3 times during this week. It wasn't extreme pain, more of a dull pain where I felt look squeezing my waist area, roughly around the kidney area I think.

So what does all this mean? Why the bloating with lemon water, and why the heartburn and waist pain with cider vinegar?

I just wanted to start lemon water because of the benefits, I wasn't expecting all this...

(@michaelfern)

Hey,

I myself have been taking for quite some time now. Honestly, I didn't find any bloatedness. But since you had reported such, I believe it could be due to slight acidic nature of lemon.

Otherwise, lemon water is considered a really good drink for digestion, also helps relieve you of constipation. I read this article a couple of months back which says it is particularly beneficial when taken before sleep. I started doing so and have seen some positive results.

I've been reading about the benefits of lemon water and it sounded really amazing for such a simple thing. I've been trying it out for the last week and I am not impressed at all. All week I have been experiencing generalised stomach pains and bloatedness. 1 of the main benefits of lemon water was to reduce stomach bloatedness.

So, I've stopped having lemon water since Friday, and on Saturday and Sunday, my stomach bloatedness has reduced, i.e. I never had a bloated stomach before started lemon water, and not it's returning to normal after stopping lemon water. I started lemon water for all it's other benefits.

Why would I be getting a bloated stomach after drinking lemon water plus the generalised stomach pain?

All I am having is a warm glass of water in the morning with a quarter of a lemon hand squeezed in about an hour before breakfast. After this, I have a bloated stomach all day. I've done this for a week and for a week I have had a bloated stomach. I've stopped not for 2 day and the bloated stomach has started to reduce and the pain has almost gone...

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

So what does all this mean? .

It means don't drink it.

Everyone is different and it's ridiculous to continue with something that bloats you and gives you pain.

Besides, those 10 reasons? At least number 2 can be ignored. There is nothing that you can eat or drink that will alter your body's PH level. The body has a very efficient homoeostasis system to keep your PH as it should be.

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

Better than the BMJ. 😀

That's a lifestyle site. I wouldn't take their medical advice too seriously.

Besides, those 10 reasons? At least number 2 can be ignored. There is nothing that you can eat or drink that will alter your body's PH level. The body has a very efficient homoeostasis system to keep your PH as it should be.

That sounds about right. What about acidic foods etc affecting your body?

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

That sounds about right. What about acidic foods etc affecting your body?

It is often claimed that Otto Warburg got a Nobel prize for discovering that cancer is caused by eating acidic foods. He actually got it for making the discovery that low oxygen was characteristic of cancer cells. He did hypothesise that 'acidic foods' caused cancer, but when he investigated he discovered it was not so. However, others took this and ran with it, making a whole industry out of the so-called 'Alkaline Diet'.

As I said, the body runs through homoeostasis. The blood is slightly alkaline - 7.35 to 7.45. The stomach is acid - 3.5 or below. This is perfectly natural and the urine varies, since that is one of the ways the body keeps to these limits.

There is no way you can change the PH of your body and it would be serious - probably fatal - if you could.

By the way, one of the great pushers of the Alkaline Diet, Robert Young, has been convicted of 'practising medicine without a license.'

(@arjun-sharda)

Both appear to be contributing to my ongoing fairly healthy life!

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

You are probably just eating more healthily irrespective of the acidity.

(@zandalee)
Reputable Member

Huh? What are you saying?

Selesho
(@selesho)

<a class="go2wpf-bbcode" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="

">

Very interesting information, thanks for sharing!

(@george-whittington)

Because water retention can lead to bloating, it might seem counteractive to drink more water. So it's especially important when you are bloated to push fluids through your body, not eliminate them.

Share: