Notifications
Clear all

Sleep paralysis. Other questions too.

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@heywoodiee)

So at the beginning of the year I began to experience 'sleep paralysis'. This was not diagnosed but that's my understanding of it. Waking up without the ability to move, or speak. I experienced some quite frightening events throughout each event. The first time I saw a scary figure, about a meter away. It was terrifying! The second time, the figure was right up in my face. I constantly felt like I was being spinned around in my bed, and on one occasion, dragged to the floor. I'm convinced I'm awake when this is happening. The third time I heard laughing, and I felt like my whole body was vibrating. The first time it happened, I wasn't even asleep! It only ever happened on a Thursday at 3am. Since I started to pray to God, it stopped happening. Anyone have any further inputs? I'm only 17.

3 Replies
Principled
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Hello HeyWoodie and welcome to HP!

I'm surprised that no-one else has answered this.

First of all, you shouldn't be going through this on your own. Please tell your parents. It's obviously worrying you or you wouldn't have posted here, so a visit to your doctor will I'm sure put your mind at rest.

I'm really glad that these symptoms went away when you prayed. When I was about your age, I used to hear mocking laughter (in the middle of the day) which absolutely terrified me, until I stood up to it and rebuked it, declaring that God, good was the only power and presence and told it very firmly to go away. It had no control over me. That was many many decades ago and there has never been a repeat.

I love these words from Proverbs 3 (New Living Translation):

21My child, don’t lose sight of common sense and discernment.
Hang on to them,
22 for they will refresh your soul.
They are like jewels on a necklace.
23 They keep you safe on your way,
and your feet will not stumble.
24 You can go to bed without fear;
you will lie down and sleep soundly.

And from Ps 91 (The Voice)

Like a bird protecting its young,
God will cover you with His feathers,
will protect you under His great wings;
His faithfulness will form a shield around you,
a rock-solid wall to protect you.
You will not dread the terrors that haunt the night

You may also find some comforting and helpful ideas from this audio podcast and how a little boy prayed:
[url]"To feel rested and refreshed" [/url]
[url]"Ending scary dreams" [/url]

Love and peace,

Judy

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

I wonder why you call this "sleep paralysis" and then put it into "psychic and paranormal". It sounds as if you have already decided that it is not sleep paralysis.

So, if you are sure that this is a spirit and not sleep paralysis, why have both you and Principled decided that it is 'evil'? (My assumption, but based on the asking for protection.)

(@annasayce)

Hi there,

I've experienced sleep paralysis, too, twice in my life. It is absolutely terrifying, but the thing to know about it is that it is not a psychic or spiritual experience.

It is basically one part of your brain waking up while you're still in REM sleep. So you may 'see' your dreams projected on your environment while you're waking up. This is partly why it's so terrifying, and also the terror factor comes in when you try to move or speak, and can't. So then that terror translates into the dreams you're having (while partly awake) and some people can feel convinced they came into contact with an evil spirit or even a demon.

One of the most terrifying things I've been through!

Both times it happened for me, I drank alcohol before bed, so I don't do that anymore in case it happens again. I read that alcohol and rich foods before bed can trigger it.

Share: