Notifications
Clear all

Should I eat raw food first or later during the meal?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
Anne Mary
Topic starter
(@anne-mary)
Honorable Member

I have collected, over the years, two different quotes: one says "Eat salads and breads with the meal or last, never first!”, the other says you should eat "raw foods and foods with high water content" first*. I lost the sources unfortunately.
Which is right, according to you?
What matters to me is digestibility, not calories or anything like that.
Thanks! xA.

* Strangely, when I try and google this up, I get only stuff about toenails .... :confused:

8 Replies
(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

I suppose if we look at the process, raw food will decompose in the stomach and gut, releasing gas as it's digested. Where do you want this gas to be sitting? On top of partially digested food or underneath, further down the bowel?

Energylz
(@energylz)

Generally you should eat things that are more easily digested first so that they can pass down from the stomach to the guts before food that doesn't digest as easily (meats etc.), otherwise the less digestible stuff prevents the more digestible stuff from getting in to the gut in a timely fashion and can be one of the causes of acid reflux.

Aside from that, I'm not sure of the differences between raw vs. cooked. I would imagine raw is perhaps harder to digest than cooked in the above sense.

(@jnani)
Noble Member

It's probably Wise to restrict consumption of raw foods to very little amounts in winters.
The energy of each season is different. Body reacts and responds differently to various forms of food in different seasons.
Summer is more suitable for raw food. Raw foods require more agni to digest raw, as Giles mentioned above.

Anne Mary
Topic starter
(@anne-mary)
Honorable Member

I suppose if we look at the process, raw food will decompose in the stomach and gut, releasing gas as it's digested. Where do you want this gas to be sitting? On top of partially digested food or underneath, further down the bowel?

That makes sense, Darren. So how come in some countries you're supposed to eat a salad first? And does cooked food not release gas when decomposing? Or does it decompose mmore slowly

It's probably Wise to restrict consumption of raw foods to very little amounts in winters.
The energy of each season is different. Body reacts and responds differently to various forms of food in different seasons.
Summer is more suitable for raw food. Raw foods require more agni to digest raw, as Giles mentioned above.

I agree with you in general, but the raw food I'm thinking about is mooli/white radish/daikon. I don't fancy lettuce at all these days, and the last of the tomatoes I eat sautéed. But mooli I love, and when that's finished we have black radish, and I do like having those with my bread (and peanut butter!).

(@zandalee)
Reputable Member

I agree with the statements above. However, I have found eating foods in smaller amounts in a sitting is a wonderful way for the disgestive system to work a bit easier. The time of day is also important before excerise eat high energy foods 45 minutes before and toward sleeping time give the body at least 3.5 hours raw or cooked. Limit meats in later evening meal.
Hope this was helpful.

Anne Mary
Topic starter
(@anne-mary)
Honorable Member

Sounds wonderful Zandalee, but my problem is that once I start eating I have trouble to stop. I do make an effort - have to - but it's not easy!

Anne Mary
Topic starter
(@anne-mary)
Honorable Member

Though I'll try it, Zandalee, I have to change the system. Two half breakfasts, two half lunches - could take more time! Though I should be a bit fitter after each half.

(@zandalee)
Reputable Member

I understand. Believe me I love to eat, dine and snack. How it works for me is to prepare with a lot fresh goodies like my favorite roasted Vegetables and I made snack for other half that eats endlessly at times...it is not easy but workable. Try different approaches that work for you and your tastebuds. Good luck.

Share: