Clear all

Co-Codamol Addiction

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@dangelo-john)

Hello.

I think I have an addiction to Co-Codamol (over the counter). I take upto a box or more a day. I take 8 - 16 at a time, to the point where my local cooperative pharmacy have stopped serving me. Is there anyone on here who can advice me if this kind of addiction is real.

Thank you.

8 Replies
(@jnani)
Noble Member

If it is happening why ask if it is real?
All addiction is real for the person to who it is happening.
If you are done with playing a slave to some silly pills then the freedom will begin to happen.
It is your own resolve that will liberate you....then physical help in some form and shape might come along.
So many people break free from addictions of such nature.
Trust your desire to be free, nurture it, not doubt it. Right help( if a little help is needed), will come.
Everything that needs be done will be done in that solid decision.
Don't get caught up in how you will do it, just trust that desire and keep feeding it, let it ripen and it will liberate you from the clutches of these pills.
May life find its balance

Well wishes

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Yes both as a pharmacist and a hypnotherapist I would say you are addicted to Co-codamol. Sadly it is not uncommon. I am glad to hear your local pharmacy is no longer allowing you to buy it .

Addiction to over-the-counter drugs does not have the services that addiction to illegal drugs has - which is sad. You can beat the addiction by going cold turkey - but its a hard way to do it. Why not ask your GP for help?

Feel free to pm me if you would like advice from someone who knows about treating addiction . Good luck

Topic starter
(@dangelo-john)

Yes both as a pharmacist and a hypnotherapist I would say you are addicted to Co-codamol. Sadly it is not uncommon. I am glad to hear your local pharmacy is no longer allowing you to buy it .

Addiction to over-the-counter drugs does not have the services that addiction to illegal drugs has - which is sad. You can beat the addiction by going cold turkey - but its a hard way to do it. Why not ask your GP for help?

Feel free to pm me if you would like advice from someone who knows about treating addiction . Good luck

Thank you for your reply. I will go see my GP.

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

Sadly, the addiction is real. Google "cocodamol addiction".

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

I hope ha can point you in the direction of something to help you.

Cascara
(@cascara)
Prominent Member

Good luck and well done for recognising your situation, it isn't easy, and you are very brave, one step at a time 🙂

Topic starter
(@dangelo-john)

Thank you all for your advic. Much appreciated.

Energylz
(@energylz)

I agree with the others, go to see your doctor who should be able to help you, now that you've recognised the problem.

Co-codamol contains codeine and paracetamol. The paracetamol isn't really a problem (though too much is obviously bad for you), but the codeine is an opiate derivative... with opiates being the same kind of thing as opium... the drug that Sherlock Holmes was addicted to, and obviously is recognised as an addictive and hence class A drug.

It does surprise me that it is openly sold over the counter. I've only ever had it on prescription, and even then I only took it when absolutely necessary (the pain of a kidney stone was pretty bad at times), but fortunately I'd read the leaflet, understood what it contained, and wanted to avoid any kind of addiction to them. I think from my whole prescription I only ever took 3 tablets over a couple of weeks. I guess I was lucky.

But you too are lucky that you've got a good pharmacist who recognised you had a problem, and has effectively highlighted that to you so that you can seek help. Good on you for being open about it and seeking help. Let us know how you get on with the GP.

Share: