Clear all

Strange bargain!

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@calla-lily)
Illustrious Member

Shouldn't moan really, as what I bought today was the mother of all bargains, but nonetheless I'm still perplexed by the offer :confused:

The bargain is as follows: I could buy an item for its normal price. However, the special offer is buy two for LESS than the item's normal price. In all my years of bargain hunting, I've never, ever, come across something like this before. I even asked to double check if it was indeed correct, and it was! 😀

The only downside is that I don't eat what I bought... 😮 (large pickled onions, my two eldest are the beneficaries!)

5 Replies
(@claire2327)
Reputable Member

Where was that??? 😀

Topic starter
(@calla-lily)
Illustrious Member

The 'every little helps' supermarket 🙂

Holistic
(@holistic)
Illustrious Member

Shouldn't moan really, as what I bought today was the mother of all bargains, but nonetheless I'm still perplexed by the offer :confused:

The bargain is as follows: I could buy an item for its normal price. However, the special offer is buy two for LESS than the item's normal price. In all my years of bargain hunting, I've never, ever, come across something like this before. I even asked to double check if it was indeed correct, and it was! 😀

The only downside is that I don't eat what I bought... 😮 (large pickled onions, my two eldest are the beneficaries!)

I'm guessing it must be part of a 'bigger picture' ... of marketing, loss leaders and all that.

A week or so ago I bought a bottle of white wine marked down from nearly £8 to £4.25, one I hadn't tried before. It was so nice, I went back the next day for a couple more, while the offer was still on.

I was somewhat :confused: because the shelf price label, for the same wine, now read £3.99 ... with no suggestion of a price reduction. I mentioned this to the young man at checkout who told me they quite often did this and he didn't know why.

The last time I was shopping there, the same wine was offered at £6.25 for one bottle, but three for £10. There are no prizes or Brownie points on offer here for guessing which option I chose 😉 😀

Seriously, I don't get the logic of it. Surely people will buy more of a product if they think they're getting a bargain, and maybe be reluctant to buy cheap in case it turns out to be cheap and nasty, as happens? But then I'm not in the food retailing business, so what do I know?

Holistic

(@masha-b)
Noble Member

Found a great bargain at my dentist's the other day, at what looks like about 20% of the normal price - they are selling two Colgate toothbrushes + Colgate toothpaste for £1 (altogether!) By my rough calculations I would have paid about at least a fiver at an average supermarket. There is no limit to how many packs you buy either.

Masha

orangeblossom
(@orangeblossom)
Noble Member

Have to tell hubby he loves pickled onions

Share: