8 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
13.5 K Views
vicki
Topic starter
(@vicki)
Prominent Member

in my house. not sure where they are coming from. they are not fruit flies but black, very small ones about 2mm in length. i cant see where they are coming from but judging by the amount of them they must be breading in my house. i have looked all over and cant see where. does anyone have any suggestions as to what they are and how to get rid of them? for info my neighbour also appears to have a problem with them as well. [:'(]

7 Replies
(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

RE: help! tiny black flies everywhere..

I've heard them called all sorts of things - "thunderbugs" down south, "clegs" in Fife - they are not harmful, just a pain in the neck - they will disappear eventually. A simple fly spray or fly paper may have an effect. I have some at the moment, and they have got into a framed picture on my sitting room wall! Little buggers!

(@spinal-music)
Famed Member

I've got some too - I think they come from our little compost bin.

(@aromababe)
Famed Member

I had some a while back - I thought they were fruit flies.

In the end I got rid of them by hoovering them up with the nozzle whilst they were in the air. It was the only thing that worked.

Lesley

(@bikebabe)

Hi, I also get these little critters, though, like you, i'm not sure where they come from or what they are. I use a fly spray (sparingly) to zap them. My little girl doesn't like flies, so it's a constant battle at the moment with 'mum there's another fly' and the can of spray.

Is it because i always have windows and doors open in my house do you think?

take care
jo xx

Holistic
(@holistic)
Illustrious Member

If they're "thunderbugs" ... also known as thrips or harvesters ... isn't it a bit early in the year for them?

Harvesters tend to appear at harvest time, hence the name, having been breeding and living in the corn etc. July/August is not a good time to decide to re-gloss paint the doors! 😀

However, when I googled for them when this thread first appeared, the general concensus seemed to be that they were coming from people's greenhouses or maybe houseplants.

The insect world seems to be going mad ... I've seen a giant mosquito, and also a simply huge daddy-long-legs ... and it's a bit early for those as well.

Holistic

Mtbw
(@mtbw)
Estimable Member

in my house. not sure where they are coming from. they are not fruit flies but black, very small ones about 2mm in length. i cant see where they are coming from but judging by the amount of them they must be breading in my house. i have looked all over and cant see where. does anyone have any suggestions as to what they are and how to get rid of them? for info my neighbour also appears to have a problem with them as well. [:'(]

Drosophila I suppose. They increase in number very quickly. Often due to wet condition in the room. They are not harmful. Just annoying.
Kill them with spray daily and soon they will be gone + buy and use dehumidifier for your room

(@marta-rezk-divine-holistics)

ive heard that patchouli incense really helps with flies

Share: