Intermittent fasting, carbohydrates and more

33 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

I'm a huge believer in intermittent fasting due to the way it allows me to control my insulin levels. I've lost a lot of body fat from doing it and feel much better generally. We did evolve as hunter gatherers, so our bodies aren't meant to be eating big sugary carb filled breakfasts in my opinion. Given your area of study, I'd love to know your thoughts on it.

Hello MassagePeople! And welcome 🙂
There are several ways of fasting, like eating nothing for periods of time or just taking juices or certain types of food. If the insulin levels are your concern, then I would say that if you're thinking of juice fasting then try not to eliminate the fibre from the juice, which is so beneficial and would make your blood sugar not to spike. I agree with the idea of not having high sugary carbs, not only in breakfast but also in the rest of your meals, whatever they are. It's always much better to go for the long-chain carbohydrates because the release of the energy is more constant in time and you don't have spikes. Examples: starches like potatoes, wheat, rice, etc.
You can also substitute highly refined sugars for natural sources, like fruit (dates, raisins, carrots, ...).
When doing the fasting, you may have experienced things like increased energy, mental clarity, clear and glowing skin, brighter eyes, even more productive!
Fasting provides a lot of benefits when doing it right. Although we may try to eat as healthy and clean as possible, your body is always detoxifying, not only from food but also from other environmental sources, like cosmetic, air, water, etc. So, doing fasting from time to time is good.

I hope this information helped you 🙂

I was interested in this, since I also find intermittent fasting helpful. I don’t use juice because of the carbohydrates, but I fast on bone broth a couple of times a week. MassagePeople, what do you fast on, how often and for how long?

Nourishingyouwell, I tend not to eat starchy carbs. I assume, since you are recommending them, that you would disagree? Can you direct me to any scientific studies that back this up, since all the ones I have read suggest they are neither necessary nor particularly advisable.

Thanks.

32 Replies
amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I would just like to say that check with your GP first if it is safe to do this.

I have high blood pressure and so fasting could raise blood pressure even more.

I used to fast every now and then before I had this condition. (Detox is OK though for those with HBP).

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Have there been studies done to show this can be dangerous? I ask because, although a quick trawl of the internet brings up several articles that say it does raise BP, an equal number say it will lower BP! None seem to have scientific references. Similarly, most sites will say that a 'normal' blood pressure is about 120/85. Some claim a high BP is anything over 115/75. It's not that long ago that it was 160/110.
My BP has not changed for years. 10 years ago I was being told I should go on medication to raise it (I didn't). Now, with the same figures I am told my BP is normal.
I suspect 'normal' in this case means neither 'statistically normal' nor 'healthy'.
A bit like 'ideal weight' or 'normal cholesterol'.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

There is a lot of medical evidence that fasting one or two days a week is beneficial. Patients with Type 2 diabetes have seen huge benefits from it. Amy where did you see the info that fasting can raise BP? Thats not an effect I am aware of.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Have there been studies done to show this can be dangerous? I ask because, although a quick trawl of the internet brings up several articles that say it does raise BP, an equal number say it will lower BP! None seem to have scientific references. Similarly, most sites will say that a 'normal' blood pressure is about 120/85. Some claim a high BP is anything over 115/75. It's not that long ago that it was 160/110.
My BP has not changed for years. 10 years ago I was being told I should go on medication to raise it (I didn't). Now, with the same figures I am told my BP is normal.
I suspect 'normal' in this case means neither 'statistically normal' nor 'healthy'.
A bit like 'ideal weight' or 'normal cholesterol'.

We posted at the same time Crowan 🙂 I am also curious about this The one article I found indicated that the BP could rise when the person ate sweet or salty food again....and was mainly about fasting during Ramadan

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I am not saying fasting in itself raises blood pressure. I specifically said that it can do so with those who already have high blood pressure. My blood pressure is high enough to warrant having to take medication. Fasting is something I used to do; however I read that it is can be detrimental for those with HBP and this was confirmed by my GP.

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

We posted at the same time Crowan 🙂 I am also curious about this The one article I found indicated that the BP could rise when the person ate sweet or salty food again....and was mainly about fasting during Ramadan

Yeah, I read that one, too.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

In my original post, I should have made it clearer, i.e. to visit your GP first before embarking on this fast, IF you have high blood pressure. Sorry about that but I stand by what I disclosed in my post above # 6

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

I am not saying fasting in itself raises blood pressure. I specifically said that it can do so with those who already have high blood pressure. My blood pressure is high enough to warrant having to take medication. Fasting is something I used to do; however I read that it is can be detrimental for those with HBP and this was confirmed by my GP.

And yet there are many who have used fasting to lower a high blood pressure. At least one study has shown it to be effective.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

And yet there are many who have used fasting to lower a high blood pressure. At least one study has shown it to be effective.

One study against many saying otherwise. I don't doubt it but I dare not take the risk without more backing.

(@nourishingyouwell)

I was interested in this, since I also find intermittent fasting helpful. I don’t use juice because of the carbohydrates, but I fast on bone broth a couple of times a week. MassagePeople, what do you fast on, how often and for how long?

Nourishingyouwell, I tend not to eat starchy carbs. I assume, since you are recommending them, that you would disagree? Can you direct me to any scientific studies that back this up, since all the ones I have read suggest they are neither necessary nor particularly advisable.

Thanks.

Healthy Pages
Yes, sugar actually is a non essential nutrient and it's pretty difficult to avoid it because everything has sugar to some degree, even vegetables. So, there are some diets that help you eat less sugar and take the energy from more relevant sources like fat and protein. The idea is placing the carbohydrates as the last resource of fuel, can very little amounts if any. It has to be of low absorption, like starches.
I don't like the hunter-gatherer diet or paleo because it encourage meat and the meat we have nowadays is nowhere near the one we, as humans, consumed thousands of years ago, but that's another story and this is very personal.
For those who panic about not having sugar, there's a process called gluconeogenesis that creates glucose from things that are not, like lactic acid, aminoacids, etc. So, your body will always have glucose.
Actually, there are many professionals who consider sugar as a drug.

Also, bioindividuality is crucial when eating, what makes you feel great can be harmful for another person.

(@nourishingyouwell)

The HBP could be triggered for maaaany reasons. I also recommend check with the GP if having any problem with it.
But in a normal person, with no issues, fasting is not dangerous at all, but again, it depends on the type of fasting.
For example, the only idea of not eating when you're hungry can raise your cortisol (stress hormone) that makes your HBP go up, and this is just one example. That's the reason why I say that fasting, doing it right, could be beneficial. Detoxing is the main focus, no fasting itself.

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

One study against many saying otherwise. I don't doubt it but I dare not take the risk without more backing.

Not so. A lot of evidence to say it lowers and very little to say it raises..
What is your experience? There must be days on which you eat less or more.

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

The HBP could be triggered for maaaany reasons. I also recommend check with the GP if having any problem with it.
But in a normal person, with no issues, fasting is not dangerous at all, but again, it depends on the type of fasting.
For example, the only idea of not eating when you're hungry can raise your cortisol (stress hormone) that makes your HBP go up, and this is just one example. That's the reason why I say that fasting, doing it right, could be beneficial. Detoxing is the main focus, no fasting itself.

Surely, the liver detoxes. No study has shown a need for detoxing. My main focus is to lower insulin dependancy and because it is the only way I can lose any weight.

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Healthy Pages
Yes, sugar actually is a non essential nutrient and it's pretty difficult to avoid it because everything has sugar to some degree, even vegetables. So, there are some diets that help you eat less sugar and take the energy from more relevant sources like fat and protein. The idea is placing the carbohydrates as the last resource of fuel, can very little amounts if any. It has to be of low absorption, like starches.
I don't like the hunter-gatherer diet or paleo because it encourage meat and the meat we have nowadays is nowhere near the one we, as humans, consumed thousands of years ago, but that's another story and this is very personal.
For those who panic about not having sugar, there's a process called gluconeogenesis that creates glucose from things that are not, like lactic acid, aminoacids, etc. So, your body will always have glucose.
Actually, there are many professionals who consider sugar as a drug.

Also, bioindividuality is crucial when eating, what makes you feel great can be harmful for another person.

Carbohydrates are not necessary for survival, unlike protein and fat.
Massagepeople mentioned that we had evolved as hunter gatherers. That is undisputed fact. How much we have changed ged since then is arguable. However, while agreeing that meat (other than game) has changed (apart from such things as antibiotic use, the main change is from monounsaturated fat to polyunsaturated fat) it really hasn't changed half as much as wheat has.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Not so. A lot of evidence to say it lowers and very little to say it raises..
What is your experience? There must be days on which you eat less or more.

Yes you have said this BUT those findings are not related to those with high blood pressure are they? I don't have something to monitor/measure my blood pressure but, of course, I know it relates to stress and my sister is making my life and my brother's life currently hell with not honouring our mother's wishes concerning the will (involves drawn out legal battles).

As mentioned, detox is compatible with my condition so I plan to do that soon, i.e. before my next scheduled GP visit.

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Yes you have said this BUT those findings are not related to those with high blood pressure are they?

Yes. They are about ways to lower a high blood pressure. After all, there'd be no point in trying to lower a low or normal one.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Yes. They are about ways to lower a high blood pressure. After all, there'd be no point in trying to lower a low or normal one.

Well I have been told directly by my GP NOT to fast so he knows my medical history sufficiently to make an informed decision. I feel it would be risky to go against this.

I have found that ginger is good for helping to lower blood pressure (primarily since it helps improve circulation), so I will be making lots of fresh ginger and lemon tea!

(@nourishingyouwell)

Surely, the liver detoxes. No study has shown a need for detoxing. My main focus is to lower insulin dependancy and because it is the only way I can lose any weight.

Have you also considered chronic inflammation? Sometimes that's the cause of not losing weight.

(@nourishingyouwell)

Well I have been told directly by my GP NOT to fast so he knows my medical history sufficiently to make an informed decision. I feel it would be risky to go against this.

I have found that ginger is good for helping to lower blood pressure (primarily since it helps improve circulation), so I will be making lots of fresh ginger and lemon tea!

Take care with ginger if you are pregnant, in your last semester or any kind of condition related to bleeding... Anyway, also turmeric and ginkgo are good for your condition 😉

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Take care with ginger if you are pregnant, in your last semester or any kind of condition related to bleeding... Anyway, also turmeric and ginkgo are good for your condition 😉

Thanks but I doubt at my age I can get pregnant (plus am celibate by choice!)

Ginger is cheaper, fresh and more readily available plus I like fresh ginger and lemon tea. I do know that too much ginger can cause stomach upsets though so I will be careful about that.

Ginkgo is not advised if taking coffee....I like my coffee! 😉

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Fair enough. But the information might be of use / interest to someone else.

When you say 'fresh' ginger, is that ginger root? Have you tried growing ginger? Not easy, but fun.

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Have you also considered chronic inflammation? Sometimes that's the cause of not losing weight.

In general terms. What, in you opinion, would cause that. Generally, it's a reaction to something eaten, is it not?

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Fair enough. But the information might be of use / interest to someone else.

When you say 'fresh' ginger, is that ginger root? Have you tried growing ginger? Not easy, but fun.

Yes it's the fresh root. I wouldn't be tempted to grow any veg that wasn't easy!

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Yes it's the fresh root. I wouldn't be tempted to grow any veg that wasn't easy!

I try it, almost every year. I've only managed to keep it over winter once, though. Still, I harvested enough root to keep me going for several months. I use it in cooking a lot and my partner loves ginger and lemongrass tea - I grow lemongrass successfully and we have a lemon tree, although no fruit (yet).

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I try it, almost every year. I've only managed to keep it over winter once, though. Still, I harvested enough root to keep me going for several months. I use it in cooking a lot and my partner loves ginger and lemongrass tea - I grow lemongrass successfully and we have a lemon tree, although no fruit (yet).

How did your ginger compare to that bought from a supermarket (if you have done this), i.e. much fresher tasting?

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

How did your ginger compare to that bought from a supermarket (if you have done this), i.e. much fresher tasting?

Yes. More flavour. Do you know what I mean if I say 'more alive'?

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Yes. More flavour. Do you know what I mean if I say 'more alive'?

Yes more active/vibrant...it has antioxidants. Well done!

All I can boast is having a fig tree in my garden which, subject to sufficient sun, produces lusciously ripe figs!

Crowan
Topic starter
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Yes more active/vibrant...it has antioxidants. Well done!

All I can boast is having a fig tree in my garden which, subject to sufficient sun, produces lusciously ripe figs!

I love figs straight off the tree.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Take care with ginger if you are pregnant, 😉

I am fascinated by this comment. There is a lot of evidence that ginger is good for hyperemesis gravidarum. I once investigated to see if the hospital where I worked could actually obtain ginger capsules. What is the risk ? Because having worked in Obstetrics I thought I knew most of the risky 'natural' remedies and ginger never once appeared on my horizon .

Page 1 / 2
Share: