What's the differen...

Notifications
Clear all

What's the difference between fish and shellfish, healthwise?

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Anne Mary
Topic starter
(@anne-mary)
Honorable Member

Just lately I really fancy shellfish - shrimps (not available around here unfortunately), mussels, scallops etc. What exactly is the difference in nutrients between 'normal' fish and shellfish? Why don't I fancy, say, flatfish or oily types?
Thank you!

12 Replies
(@jnani)
Noble Member

Why don't you fancy flatfish or oily type? Yeah right why don't you?!
Maybe just have what you fancy verses what you should fancy?
I am pretty sure shrimps scallops, mussles have nutrition for the heart...

Anne Mary
Topic starter
(@anne-mary)
Honorable Member

I went and bought a dab, a by-catch flatfish, as they did not have shellfish. It was very nice, but I still dream of the lovely shrimp we bought up in the Lake District a few days ago .....
I was just curious why I suddenly fancied mussels and the like. They must have different nutrients from the shell-less fish.

(@jnani)
Noble Member

I went and bought a dab, a by-catch flatfish, as they did not have shellfish. It was very nice, but I still dream of the lovely shrimp we bought up in the Lake District a few days ago .....
I was just curious why I suddenly fancied mussels and the like. They must have different nutrients from the shell-less fish.

I guess your body knows something you don't know. It is usually the case , isn't it!

Anne Mary
Topic starter
(@anne-mary)
Honorable Member

You're right but I'm curious - and I can't get shrimps here in Somerset so if I knew what it is that attracts me in them, I can get something else with the same nutrients.

(@jnani)
Noble Member

You're right but I'm curious - and I can't get shrimps here in Somerset so if I knew what it is that attracts me in them, I can get something else with the same nutrients.

Have you asked Uncle Google?...:D

Anne Mary
Topic starter
(@anne-mary)
Honorable Member

Yes I always do that first, though I prefer DuckDuckGo (the search engine which does not track you). However I got nowhere on either that or Google. So I thought I'd pick your brains .....

(@jnani)
Noble Member

Yes I always do that first, though I prefer DuckDuckGo (the search engine which does not track you). However I got nowhere on either that or Google. So I thought I'd pick your brains .....

Duck duck go is where I go to find my answers too. When I first started with them, they didn't seem to track my activities, but I am suspicious that of late, even they are.
A few adverts of things I have looked up have come through on browsing... I wonder if What you think

Sorry from dragging you away from shrimps

Anne Mary
Topic starter
(@anne-mary)
Honorable Member

I haven't checked that - I try google sometimes after using duckduck so it would be complicated. I tend to trust they do what they say. There are maybe other ways how the computer can find out what you are interested in?

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Do you know the website, My Fitness Pal:
?

Once on there, you can look up the nutrition of whatever is in the database.

Nutrition Facts

Generic - Shrimp

[url]Learn more[/url]

[LIST=1]

• Servings:
  • Calories 101 Sodium 472 mg
    Total Fat 2 g Potassium 222 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 21 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg

Vitamin A 4% Calcium 6%
    Vitamin C 4% Iron 10%

Nutrition Facts

Salmon

[url]Learn more[/url]

[LIST=1]

• Servings:
  • Calories 100 Sodium 240 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 365 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 2 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 21 g
    Cholesterol 45 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 2% Iron 4%

Nutrition Facts

Cod - Cod

[LIST=1]

• Servings:
  • Calories 82 Sodium 376 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 19 g
    Cholesterol 59 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

There's a lot wrong with MFP - their unfailing belief that calories in = calories out, for example, or that fat is unhealthy. But if you can ignore those there's information in there.

Anne Mary
    Topic starter
    (@anne-mary)
    Honorable Member

Thank you Crowan, I shall study this site. The website I always use for finding out about nutrients is but had not thought of doing that. I'd hoped to find some general simple info, rather than having to look up various single fish on there ... the nutritiondata has rather a lot of different ones!

Crowan
    (@crowan)
    Famed Member

I don't know other search engines well, but Google seems to be getting harder and harder to use. I ask a question and it answers what it 'thinks' I should be asking. I asked, 'What are the fattiest cuts of meat?' I got a lot of sites listing the leanest cuts. I tracked down the information eventually, but it took some doing.

Anne Mary
    Topic starter
    (@anne-mary)
    Honorable Member

A very quick comparison between shrimp and crab on the one hand, and fish (pollock, mackerel, cod, flatfish and salmon) showed the following.
    Shrimp has (much) more selenium, B12, iron, copper and zinc. Crab has lots of B12, selenium, copper and zinc. Most of the fish seems to have no advantages in anything, though mackerel and flatfish have lots of selenium too. The fish had slightly more protein.
    So the crustaceans win on minerals in general, and the vital vitamin B12.
    Though this was just a very quick look, mainly on .

Share: