3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Vixster
Topic starter
(@vixster)
Trusted Member

Hi All...

I think i am becoming one of the worlds fussiest eaters!! I am trying to avoid all wheat and dairy after being advised that I have an intolerance to it and have pretty much given up red-meat whilst I am at it. My diet is pretty good most of the time, lots of smoothies and I love pretty much every kind of vegetable. My diet consists of chicken, fish (not shell-fish) and salad/veg. I am naughty and have the odd snack that I shouldn't but that is because i cant find anything nice and filling. I am doing lots of exercise so I need something substantial to give me more energy. I dont like lentils, chickpeas or most beans. Any ideas on what I could eat that is fairly plain and simple to fill me up and give me heaps of energy without making me feel sluggish or piling on the pounds as I am trying to loose weight??

Thanks very much.
Vix

2 Replies
(@spinal-music)
Famed Member

RE: Hungry!!

Do you like roasted vegetables - (aubergines, toms, sweet pots, olives, courgette, onions, (and feta cheese chucked in towards teh end - sorry not for you) baked on top heat after drizzling with olive oil and sea salt. I mix it in with bulghar wheat - but also brown rice/ wild rice is good and filling.

Green rice with apricots and almonds - toasted sesame oil (a drop as it's quite strong.)

Apparently if you try something 12 times you learn to like it! So keep trying the things you don't like. (They did this with children and it works, apparently).

Non-wheat bread - then you could have sardines on toast, grilled mushrooms on toast with garlic butter, grilled tomatoes on toast.
Quinoa - reminds me of this
Prawn curry - oh no shell-fish - OK cod curry. I make mine with a Green curry sauce -. Put the rice on, and just fry some onions, ginger, garlic, and any veg in the fridge, add the sauce, and the fish 3-5 mins before it's ready to serve, and there you go.

Roast at the top of a hot oven cubed pots, cubed onion, and on the shelf below 10 mins later cubed chicken, chopped bacon, peas - fresh at the moment but frozen is fine, cubed toms, and fresh herbs and garlic (Oregano for choice - or basil - Parsley is wonderful in just about everything - but dried oregano is really good too) Dowse everything with olive oil before it goes in and combine the two at the end (actually if you are just cooking for one you could use the same pan - I'm cooking for 4/5). Coutesy of my ma-in-law - she uses chicken drum-sticks - from Southern Italy - she doesn't use bacon, but I think bacon improves pretty well everything - not ice-cream.

With cereal (muesli?- you could make your own with oat flakes, nuts, dried fruit) - linseeds, sunflower, pumpkin seeds. Same mixture freshly ground up are a great addition to smoothies (and are an excellent way of taking in the nutrients of linseeds - EFAs - the oil goes off and if you eat the seeds themselves, although they are excellent fibre, the gut can't absorb them. They go through like sweetcorn - and then there's corn on teh cob. Ok Enough already!

Ok - that's pretty much what we had to eat this week - hope something appeals - tonight we'll have fish and chips, (no batter for me and I'll pinch someone else's chips)

Sharonxx

Vixster
Topic starter
(@vixster)
Trusted Member

RE: Hungry!!

Thanks Sharon (Apologies for rather late reply)

Those ideas are making my mouth water.. i am off to the kitchen now.

Victoria x

Share: