7 Users
0 Reactions
10.1 K Views
frangipani
Topic starter
(@frangipani)
Eminent Member

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone combines Emmett Technique with Bowen Therapy.

I was considering learning Emmett and interested if any Bowen therapists practise both therapies, as Bowen is meant to be a stand alone therapy.

22 Replies
welshtherapist
(@welshtherapist)
Reputable Member

emmett and bowen

Hi there

I have done 5 modules of Emmett and, yes, I do use them together - although it is not the 'done' thing according to the Bowen organisations.

I find they complement each other really well - especially when it comes to increasing range of movement e.g. shoulder and neck work as well as some really straightforward hamstring work.

I would defintiely recomment it to anyone doing complementary therapy.

Emmett works with all types of treatments including massage / reflexology / osteopathy etc etc.

Ross is in UK now [April] and again in September when I hope to complete module 6.

It's great - I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Kind regards
JJ

Kaz3
(@kaz3)
Eminent Member

Who are you doing the Emmett training with? I've not heard of it before.

frangipani
Topic starter
(@frangipani)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the feedback welshtherapist. I have booked in for May to do the Emmtech which is a short Emmett course and then hope to do the Modules at a later date.

I wil be doing the courses here in Australia, which like the Bowen is where Emmett originates from.

If you go to rossemmett.com.au you will find the information on there.

welshtherapist
(@welshtherapist)
Reputable Member

emmett and bowen

Hi Kaz

I think the shorter emmtech courses will start here [sorry UK!] soon too. It is definitely worth doing, in my opinion, as would the full 6 modules of Emmett for therapists [not just for Bowen Therapists - on the courses at present there are osteopaths / reflexologists / pilates trainers etc]

There is talk of running the EmmTech courses [8 hours only] for non-therapists; for care workers and for sports coaches. You would need to look at the emmett organisation website and see whether there are courses planned in your area.

Kind regards
Judith

dktherapy
(@dktherapy)
Trusted Member

Hi, Judith, Kaz and Frangipani. Bowen and Emmett......fantastic! I have just finished the Emmett training and it was amazing! (Sorry, Judith - we missed you.....) I don't see a huge problem with combining the therapies: they really do complement each other, and, to me, are horses from the same stable, so it's not mixing in the way that, say a deep tissue massage would be.

The EmmTech courses will definitely be starting in the next few months in the UK: we have 11 tutors, spread fairly widely over the country. If you would like to PM me, Kaz, with your location, I can try to put you in touch with one of them. Whatever happens.......do the courses!

Best wishes
Debbie

frangipani
Topic starter
(@frangipani)
Eminent Member

It's good to hear the positive feedback about Emmett and Bowen being compatible.

I was due to do the EmmtTech course this weekend, but our instructor had to go to the UK at short notice to teach over there, so our course has been postponed.

The only thing I'm undecided about is whether to do the Emmett Modules or will the shorter EmmTech course give me enough knowledge. Perhaps dktherapy could let me know what she thinks.

Thanks in advance.

dktherapy
(@dktherapy)
Trusted Member

Hi again Frangipani

Unfortunately, I cannot say what is best for you, so it may be better to contact Ross Emmett or his team direct. The Emmett course is professional training, specifically for those who are already qualified as therapists, whilst the EmmTech courses are aimed more at carers, sports coaches and the general public, i.e. those who may benefit from knowing some simple moves to help people.

I have done some training with your instructor, Regi, and she is a wonderful teacher, full of energy and enthusiasm. I imagine any course you choose to do with her (or with Ross' other instructors - I have met several) will be helpful and enjoyable.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Best wishes

Debbie

frangipani
Topic starter
(@frangipani)
Eminent Member

Thanks dktherapy for your reply.

I think I will probably do the Modules as this will obviously be of more benefit for my Bowen Therapy.

welshtherapist
(@welshtherapist)
Reputable Member

emmett

Hi DEbbie [and everyone else on this thread]

Yes, I missed you all too. Glad to hear that the EmmTech courses will be starting soon in UK.

I can't wait to do module 6 in September.

The results of using Bowen and Emmett together have been wonderful.

Whichever you do Frangipani, I'm sure you'll benefit from this technique.

Best wishes
Judith

(@anne-marie)

Hi all! Thanks for all the great info regarding The Emmett Technique when combining it with Bowen. I have been reading the comments on this thread with great interest as I too am considering doing The Emmett Technique to further enhance my Bowen work and get even better results! 🙂 I have recently added reiki at the end of a Bowen session (where I felt it would benefit) and have had amazing results! Working intuitively and with intent, I feel is the most important aspect of healing work in any modality! 🙂

Debbie, I did my original Bowen training in 1999 with Regi in Perth - she is just delightful, isn't she? And such a wonderful teacher. I assume we are talking about the same lovely lady here!!

I will continue to watch this thread for any further feedback on Ross and his work. Have a great week, everyone and happy healing! 😀

dktherapy
(@dktherapy)
Trusted Member

Hi, Anne-Marie (and everyone)
I think it's great that this site seems to have quite a following in Australia, especially for those of us who do Bowen and Emmett.

I am quite certain we are speaking of the same Regi, as I'm sure there cannot be that many Swiss-German Bowen and Emmett teachers living in Western Australia and with such a great talent and wonderful personality!

I look forward to hearing any other news on this subject.

With best wishes, Debbie

(@klmn611)
Eminent Member

premature ejaculation

You write very well, support you![url]premature ejaculation[/url] [url]penis enlargement[/url][url]guild wars gold[/url]

dktherapy
(@dktherapy)
Trusted Member

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that the Emm-Tech (short version of Emmett Technique) courses are now available here in the UK.

Best wishes
Debbie

frangipani
Topic starter
(@frangipani)
Eminent Member

Just an update to say I have just completed the Emm Tech course here in Australia and I will definately be going on to do the Emmett modules.

I am combining it in my Bowen clinic and the feedback from clients has been very positive.

dktherapy
(@dktherapy)
Trusted Member

Hi Frangipani,

Delighted you managed to get it done: did you take the course with Regi?

It's great that you have been able to integrate the new learning with your Bowen and that your clients are so pleased with it. Enjoy the Emmett course.....

Regards
Debbie

Holistic
(@holistic)
Illustrious Member

** With moderator's hat on **

Although there may at times be a narrow line between providing information and actively promoting courses, may I just advise that some posts in this thread were getting too close to crossing that line.

Please take care in your questions ... and replies ... so that your posts don't appear promotional, which is contrary to the forum guidelines. This applies whether it is your own course, which is strictly not allowed, or someone else's:

Please be aware that the asking of a question on the forums may inadvertently place the person who replies in a position of being in breach of the forum guidelines concerning promotion of their own products or services. The onus is therefore on both to exercise care in this respect, and perhaps consider using the PM or email systems as the better course of action.

Holistic
On behalf of the Moderating Team

frangipani
Topic starter
(@frangipani)
Eminent Member

Interested to hear how you are going with combining Emmett and Bowen, as it's nearly 12 months since I started this thread.

I have yet to do the Emmett course, but plan to do it this year.

dktherapy
(@dktherapy)
Trusted Member

Hi Frangipani

Hard to believe it is almost a year since this discussion started. I hope you will have replies from many other Bowen/Emmett therapists, but this is my experience:

Every treatment I do incorporates both Bowen and Emmett techniques. I find, as does Ross Emmett himself, that Bowen is a superb tool to relax and assess the body - to find the areas of tension, if you like. When I find a tense area, I use the best possible move I know to release it immediately. Sometimes this is a Bowen move but more often it is an Emmett move. If I were trained in other therapies, I would incorporate these too.

So, most of my treatments would start by doing Bowen: Pages 1,2,3 as I learnt it or BRMs if you are Bowtech trained. I do use some breaks, but not many (I will explain later). In between, I will release whatever I find, be it rhomboid tension, problems with the lower back, sacrum, ITBs, hamstrings, Trapezius etc etc. Beautiful!

If anyone wonders, I do make sure that clients know I am using both Bowen and Emmett. I think this is important a) so the client is fully informed b) so if they have a treatment from someone else which is different they are not surprised or disappointed and c) so that the right Australian genius gets the credit!

I was recently lucky enough to spend an evening with Dr Romney Smeeton, who worked with Tom Bowen for several years and was sharing his experiences of Tom's work. He had much to say that was of great interest and contradicted what many of us had been taught. For example, TB did not use faceholes simply because he originally treated clients on a bed. As soon as he saw Romney's electric tables, with face holes, he ordered two! The "two minute breaks" were often so that he could nip out for a cigarette or so he could treat someone else.

This is one of the reasons I do not always use breaks. I know from other training that the body will take a period of time to accept or "download" the moves we make. This can be seconds, rather than minutes, and the client's body will usually give you a signal when it has happened. If you watch carefully, you will often notice a change in breathing, a twitch, a finger moving or something else.....each body is unique. Therefore, in my treatments, I will have short pauses of around 20 seconds and only occasionally leave the room for a longer break if I have done something which is "big" for the client.

Romney also uses Emmett work in each of his treatments. He said that he had been learning for 34 years and, now that he has been exposed to Ross's work, he realises he still has a lot to learn! And this from the man who worked with Tom Bowen for 7 years.......

I have banged on enough now. I hope you will find this helpful and also that you enjoy your Emmett training when you get started. You will be able to put it into practice right from the first day and will undoubtedly find your own way of integrating your Bowen training with your new learning.

Best wishes with it!
Debbie

frangipani
Topic starter
(@frangipani)
Eminent Member

Thanks Debbie.

Some interesting information.

welshtherapist
(@welshtherapist)
Reputable Member

Just looking back on past posts - sad isn't it!!

Just wondered how you were getting on with the Emmett now that it has been some time since you did the Emmtech course?

Have finally finished module six and some of the new moves are amazing!

Cheers
Judith

frangipani
Topic starter
(@frangipani)
Eminent Member

Yes, I have completed 3 Modules of Emmett so far. I would have done Module 4 last weekend, but Sport Bowen is on this weekend so had to choose between the 2.

I have enjoyed Emmett so far but it hasn't 'grabbed' me as much as Bowen has. Someone said that after Module 4 it all falls in to place, so maybe next year I will do this Module.

welshtherapist
(@welshtherapist)
Reputable Member

Hi Frangipani

Yes, I think that's probably right.

We did modules 1,2 and 3 in one go when Ross came to the UK first. It was a lot to take in and it took me a while to get it into my head!

I found that I was using a little bit with each Bowen treatment at the beginning - especially checking cervical mobility and finding an awful lot of my clients needed work on the SCMs and in finishing off with that Emmett procedure - they [99% of those clients] went 'wow' that's better! Very good for client confidence that something had changed that quickly too!

Progressively, as my confidence grew with using Emmett, the ratio of Bowen to Emmett got to 50% and now I am mostly using BRMs only [pages 1,2 and 3 in other training courses] to help relax the body and then using Emmett.

So, stick with it and enjoy the Sports Bowen course - it was a good one - and build up your Emmett alongside.

Enjoy
Judith

Share: