What is religion?

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@norbu)
Prominent Member

Dear All,

To answer a question like this we first need to define what "a religion" is. This link gives a number of definitions by academics:

Religion is a word that is part of the way Western society categorises human activity. This comes from a distinction in Western society between secular activity and religious activity. This distinction would be difficult to make, in for example, in pantheistic cultures.

I would suggest that it makes sense to look at religion as a set of social functions that include the following:
[LIST=1]

• understanding of cause and effect in experience
  • practices that cultivate thought, speach and action that improves experience on individual and social levels
  • instruction in the above
  • preservation of the above
  • All of these functions are also true of modern science. So what is the difference? Modern science has evolved over the last few centuries by developing repeatable experiments that are conducted on objects that can be observed and measured. In my definition of religion the only difference is that the field of research is experience.

It's interesting that both areas of research are moving ever closer together.

Norbu

16 Replies
    myarka
    (@myarka)
    Illustrious Member

Religion is the inertia that prevents to soul from entering into communion with the divine.

Myarka.

Principled
    (@principled_1611052765)
    Famed Member

Reconnecting to our Source, reconnecting with One-ness

• The Latin "re," when used as a prefix, means "again" or "to go back."

• "Lig" means to "tie," "connect," or "bind."

• And the suffix "ion" means "the act of," "state of," or "result of the act of."

Put these together and the word "religion" in its purest, most idealized form, means to be in a state of "connecting again" - the act of or state of "Reconnection."

Love and peace

judy

Topic starter
    (@norbu)
    Prominent Member

Dear Myarka,

Religion is the inertia that prevents to soul from entering into communion with the divine.

Myarka.

It's clearly true that religious institutions have committed crimes and injustices but this equally true of secular institutions. Ignorance, fear and greed is the cause of this.

Careful examination of statements and actions is the way to point out falsehood and will always point to ignorance, fear and greed. This at least is at the core of the Buddhist tradition. It is also the approach Socrates took to challenge injustice and falsehood in ancient Athenian society. Jesus also did the same as have many others. Of course those who have vested interest in maintaining falsehood do not like this and often take action to protect their interests at the cost of the greater good.

In the case of Christian history the Roman empire used Christianity to maintain power. This pattern has continued. In the Buddhist tradition institutions have done similar things. This is true of every religion but is also equally true of secular institutions.

At the route justification for unjust or evil acts is always a position of faith in an abstract idea. Protecting this abstract idea becomes fundamentalism. This is true of traditions as well as secular society. In religions the abstract idea that is invested in power is usually a pantheon of god or God. In secular society this is usually the self existence of material phenomena.

The Buddhist middle way rejects both these abstract ideas of reality. In this tradition reality is something can can only be experienced by training the mind. This training is based on logical reasoning to identify false propositions, the development of positive emotions and meditation. The primary objectives of meditation are to develop attention and awareness to enable the mind to gain insight into reality. In the early traditions the purpose of this is to escape the causes of suffering. In later traditions the purpose of practice is to assist others to escape the causes of suffering.

Norbu

myarka
    (@myarka)
    Illustrious Member

Dear Norbu & Judy,

I think you've actually missed the point of your question, "What is religion?"

Although Karl Marx has been miss quoted, there is a truth in his statement, "Religion is the opiate of the masses".

Religion by its nature has to be accessible and understandable to the masses. But that doesn't define religion. Various have in fact tried to define the term in an attempt to define what they are not.

I'm not a Christian, but I believe the bible sums it up excellently in a single phrase, "Be still an know I am God". Now that doesn't mean I that embrace the belief in a monotheistic god, but IMO it does mean if we observe what is around us, we will see and experience the divine.

It's sad that much of religion is devoid of the divine.

Namaste,
    Myarka.

Reiki Pixie
    (@reiki-pixie)
    Noble Member

Taken what Judy has said forward, religion is about binding together and becoming whole. Isn't this what the word Yoga means as well? The word whole, is connected to the words heal and holy. So a holy person is someone who has become whole.

J. Krisnamurti in his works often describes the mind as being fragmented and talks about we can only solve our problems (ie psychological pain and suffering) by being still. Which I interpret as meaning the same thing - being still and becoming whole is religious.

RP

Topic starter
    (@norbu)
    Prominent Member

Myarka.

Hi Myarka

From my point of view, as a Buddhist, there is no such thing as a "soul." It is a metaphysical nonsense to a Buddhist and an idea that is at the route of much inequity in history. I personally believe that the divine is to be found in the mundane.

Norbu

Topic starter
    (@norbu)
    Prominent Member

Dear Norbu & Judy,

I think you've actually missed the point of your question, "What is religion?"

Although Karl Marx has been miss quoted, there is a truth in his statement, "Religion is the opiate of the masses".

Unlike Marxism! Or materialism? Or perhaps capitalism?

I'm not a Christian, but I believe the bible sums it up excellently in a single phrase, "Be still an know I am God". Now that doesn't mean I that embrace the belief in a monotheistic god, but IMO it does mean if we observe what is around us, we will see and experience the divine.

Couldn't agree more. I'd perhaps add Jesus commandment to "Love thy neighbour as thyself."

It's sad that much of religion is devoid of the divine.

It is indeed. Just like institutions of Marxism, materialism and capitalism.

Namaste,

Norbu

myarka
    (@myarka)
    Illustrious Member

I personally believe that the divine is to be found in the mundane.

I believe the divine is in all things and part of all things. I don't even think it's important to believe in the soul/spirit as distinct entity. Although as a believer of/in Ki I see a chain or thread that defines the unity of creation, and to me my soul is an intrinsic part.

Myarka.

Reiki Pixie
    (@reiki-pixie)
    Noble Member

Hi

A quote from

Science is fact

Religion is faith

Magic is perception

Know these boundaries to discover what lies beyond.

RP

meta
    (@meta)
    Estimable Member

Religion is to believe what others tell you what is real.
    Regards Meta

(@barafundle)
    Noble Member

The Sanskrit term 'Sanatana Dharma' roughly translates as 'Eternal Law of Righteousness', or the 'Timeless Consciousness of God'. It stands for the innate urge we all have that, sooner or later, drives us to connect with the Divine Consciousness.

For the past few centuries it has been a synonym for Hinduism, but is in fact it a term that can be equally applied to all spiritual striving. It transcends the different labels we give to our particular ways of connecting with the Divine, but it also embraces all of those different labels. It does not recognise difference between religion, culture or ethnic origin because the Divine Absolute can be related to in countless ways and be given many names.

Sanatana Dharma is the impulse to reconnect as Judy says, to become whole, and is as natural as gravity.

meta
    (@meta)
    Estimable Member

• The Latin "re," when used as a prefix, means "again" or "to go back."

• "Lig" means to "tie," "connect," or "bind."

• And the suffix "ion" means "the act of," "state of," or "result of the act of."

Put these together and the word "religion" in its purest, most idealized form, means to be in a state of "connecting again" - the act of or state of "Reconnection."

Love and peace

judy

Can the sunray reconnect to the sun? Religion is an impossible attempt to connect the mortal to the immortal.
    Regards Meta

(@barafundle)
    Noble Member

Can the sunray reconnect to the sun?

Yes.

It seems you may have had some unfortunate experiences in the past, Meta. Good luck in the future.

meta
    (@meta)
    Estimable Member

Yes.

It seems you may have had some unfortunate experiences in the past, Meta. Good luck in the future.

With all respect, but you fail to understand me. Regards Meta

(@barafundle)
    Noble Member

With all respect, but you fail to understand me. Regards Meta

Yes, I do. 🙂

Topic starter
    (@norbu)
    Prominent Member

Hi Meta,

Can the sunray reconnect to the sun? Religion is an impossible attempt to connect the mortal to the immortal.

Perhaps this might help to shed some light on your question. "Reality" whatever it is, IS. In the relative world of things we can see that things all depend upon their relationships to each other and only exist in the context of these interrelationships. If you like we can also imagine a kind of interconnection of all things but we cannot really find it anywhere. In fact we cannot find any single thing in and of itself either because all things exist in relationship to each other. So looking at the relative existence of things and the absolute existence of All is just two ways we try to make sense of Reality with words and concepts. Reality itself is beyond these concepts yet these concepts still reflect some quality of reality.

It's like this. If we say that the relative truth (the specific case of each and every thing) is like the left hand and the absolute (the general case of all things) truth is like the right hand. They are just parts of Reality yet they are inseparable from it.

From my point of view this is a purely philosophical understanding but it has deep "religious" significance. It is the basis for believing in "Ultimate Reality" even if we can't quite understand what it is. We have to use some kind of metaphor. Perhaps we use the word "God" and relate this idea to creation, perhaps we use the word "sun" in distinction to "sunray." Sometimes we use the words "mortal" in distinction to "immortal" or in the case of the Buddha, "impermanence" and the "deathless." These are words which, in the final count, are metaphors. They are a kind of "religious" shorthand if you like. They bring hope and faith to those who are troubled. They make intuitive sense but supporting them with rational argument is a long path indeed. I can tell you that it is not worth embarking upon unless you are driven to do so. Even then you will only reach the end of such a path with great faith and hope. Some call this faith and hope in God or perhaps the Reality of Love. Without this hope there are many dangers.

Norbu

Share: