19 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
21.8 K Views
meurighj
Topic starter
(@meurighj)
Prominent Member

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Dreams, but I suspect my dream is simply my body's way of alerting me to a problem.

I often dream that I am dying and I am struggling to breathe. I wake up gasping for air and my throat and upper chest feel like they have been compressed and this feeling stays with me for some time afterwards often well into the following day.

I have been to my GP, had referrals to the Sleep clinic and spent the night wearing a monitor and the results did not indicate a problem with sleep apnoeia.

It is really scary and up til now I have always woken up but I am concerned what long-term effects this may be having on me and how I can prevent further occurrences.

18 Replies
(@mountaineer)
Prominent Member

In the first place dreams about death generally symbolically refer to change rather than actual physical death.

It sounds to me like the dream is taking on a life of its own. You've interpreted it as literal and you're getting stressed.

Have you got a problem with stuff on your chest? A blocked nose? Any physical symptoms?

(I had a bit of a chest infection a while back and I woke up a time or two in the night feeling I was choking.
What I did was stack the pillows and rested my head higher up, that stopped it.)

If no physical symptoms, then it's just a dream. It's not real. No need to panic.

(@wildstrawberry)
Prominent Member

Hi meurighj :),

How frequently does the dream occur?

Do you remember any other aspects of the dream?

What is the dream's setting?

Do any other people feature in the dream?

What is the cause of you dying in the dream (you say that you are dying and can't breath, not that being unable to breath causes you to die)?

What long-term effects do you envisage may happen if this carries on?

🙂

meurighj
Topic starter
(@meurighj)
Prominent Member

Thank you for your responses.

Wildstrawberry: It is not necessarily the same dream. In one I was drowning, another I had been hit by a car and in the most recent one I was lying in a bed. The feeling is always the same that my throat is constricted and I am aware that I am unable to draw in breath. In the dream with the car I could feel myself becoming unconscious in the dream, if that makes sense.

Mountaineer: Apparently my hubby says there are occasions when I do seem to breathe very shallowly and make strange noises as if I am struggling to breath.

I generally try to sleep on my back with the upper part of my body propped up but I find that I do roll onto my side and I think that is when I have these dreams. Is it possible that when I roll onto my side that my throat is compressed?

(@wildstrawberry)
Prominent Member

Hi meurighj,

Yes, that makes sense about your being able to feel yourself becoming unconscious in the dream - that's probably the point at which you wake up, is it?

I know that you've already said that your visit to the sleep clinic didn't indicate a problem with sleep apnea.

But, as you yourself seem think the purpose of the dream is to alert you to a problem which has you wondering if your sleeping position affecting your respiratory system... then, perhaps an in road, would be to do some research on sleep apnea which occurs as a symptom as chronic sinusitis, for example. Or, sleep apnea which occurs as a symptom of allergic rhinitus.

This may alert you any subtle physical symptoms (thus far overlooked) experienced in correspondence with the dream, and the constricted sensation... 🙂

(@mountaineer)
Prominent Member

I generally try to sleep on my back with the upper part of my body propped up but I find that I do roll onto my side and I think that is when I have these dreams. Is it possible that when I roll onto my side that my throat is compressed?

Re- throat compression: Good Lord, no.

Do you wheeze may I ask? Any bronchial problems? Do you use air fresheners?
Central heating can make the air very dry. Do you keep the house well aired?

I'm wondering if a few drops of Olbas Oil on the pillow would help you? i.e. keeping your nostrils and airways open and helping you breathe more easily.
Or aromatherapy of some description along the same lines.

meurighj
Topic starter
(@meurighj)
Prominent Member

Thank you both for your wonderful advice. I think I shall certainly experiment with easing sinus/rhinitis problems and see if that helps and investigate the sleep apnoea further.

Once again thank you 😀

(@wildstrawberry)
Prominent Member

Thank you both for your wonderful advice. I think I shall certainly experiment with easing sinus/rhinitis problems and see if that helps and investigate the sleep apnoea further.

Once again thank you 😀

That's alright meurighj, it's a pleasure. Hope you get everything sorted to your satisfaction ;):) .

Let us know how you get on (if you like).

Take Care.

(@shirleyzee)

Breath

It may have to do with stress...? Louise Haye suggests it might have something to do with fear and anxiety relating to childhood. I have found EFT can be helpful. I don't know if you've hearted of it. Tapping.com explains it or even YouTube Louise Haye tapping. It sounds a bit wired but it does actually work...it's worth a try. Best of luck. (I also find 10 minutes of meditation before bed helps ease the mind) 🙂

(@spiritquester)

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Dreams, but I suspect my dream is simply my body's way of alerting me to a problem.

I often dream that I am dying and I am struggling to breathe. I wake up gasping for air and my throat and upper chest feel like they have been compressed and this feeling stays with me for some time afterwards often well into the following day.

I have been to my GP, had referrals to the Sleep clinic and spent the night wearing a monitor and the results did not indicate a problem with sleep apnoeia.

It is really scary and up til now I have always woken up but I am concerned what long-term effects this may be having on me and how I can prevent further occurrences.

(@spiritquester)

Hello
I have the same problem. I have also been tested. I also sit propped up to sleep at times. I do shift my position when I sleep which makes things worse. The major part of my problem is from acute stress. I am a survivor of childhood trauma and still have symptoms of PTSD. At times I can still become overwhelmed easily and find myself repressing the stress in order to deal with it. One can only do that up to a certain point and then there is a problem with sleeping. It can be very scary to wake up having trouble breathing. I empathize with you totally . I have been investigating Mindfulness. I tried regular Meditation. Mindfulness works better for me. I try to use it during the day to defuse the stress. Like anything else you have to practice regularly. Make using Mindfulness part of your lifestyle. I am a Professional Energy Healer. (The "Wounded Healer" as the saying goes 🙂
I am combining Reiki Self-Care with Mindfulness. However you choose to deal with the stress you should try to be consistent.
Many Blessings to You.

(@Anonymous)

Embodied emotions. I see this kind of thing all the time with clients. It's likely to be massive levels of anxiety in the present, or repressed distress from childhood or unresolved trauma. My advice would be to find a counsellor or psychotherapist.

(@spiritquester)

Embodied emotions. I see this kind of thing all the time with clients. It's likely to be massive levels of anxiety in the present, or repressed distress from childhood or unresolved trauma. My advice would be to find a counsellor or psychotherapist.

Hello Richard
Thank you very much for your reply and advice. I appreciate it. I have never heard the term "Embodied Emotions." Ah a syndrome. Good to know it is a common event. Information is power.
Sincerely,
Val Tarangelo

(@taylorpek)

Seems like an emocional matter instead of physic, when you see yourself dying fall on stress get nervous, and want to awake soon, thats why your breath gets weird and dificult.

(@Anonymous)

Hello Richard
Thank you very much for your reply and advice. I appreciate it. I have never heard the term "Embodied Emotions." Ah a syndrome. Good to know it is a common event. Information is power.
Sincerely,Val Tarangelo

Hi Val - no, it's not a syndrome! Body psychotherapy takes the view that our whole psychological and emotional history is not just in the mind, but is written in the body. Pretty obvious when you think about it: we all recognise that psychological and emotional stress causes physical tension, or that feeling low emotionally makes us more susceptible to illness... All the major stresses from the moment of conception impact the body - even if they fade from memory or get repressed, they're still there, embodied.

(@paul-crick_1611052763)
Famed Member

Hello
I have the same problem. I have also been tested. I also sit propped up to sleep at times. I do shift my position when I sleep which makes things worse. The major part of my problem is from acute stress. I am a survivor of childhood trauma and still have symptoms of PTSD. At times I can still become overwhelmed easily and find myself repressing the stress in order to deal with it. One can only do that up to a certain point and then there is a problem with sleeping. It can be very scary to wake up having trouble breathing. I empathize with you totally . I have been investigating Mindfulness. I tried regular Meditation. Mindfulness works better for me. I try to use it during the day to defuse the stress. Like anything else you have to practice regularly. Make using Mindfulness part of your lifestyle. I am a Professional Energy Healer. (The "Wounded Healer" as the saying goes 🙂
I am combining Reiki Self-Care with Mindfulness. However you choose to deal with the stress you should try to be consistent.
Many Blessings to You.

Hi Val

Our general state of health and wellbeing is a direct reflection of our underlying state of consciousness, emotions are an electro chemical response that our brain sets up within our physical body in response to what is going on within our non-physical aspects of consciousness; emotions are always being created within the now or current moment of time, we can remember something we have experienced and our brain will respond to these thoughts and create the feelings right now, but feelings are not stored they have to be triggered by a thought that is interpreted by the brain, that can be a thought that we are aware of or one that we were not happy with so we are still currently repressing and refusing to acknowledge it, we call these judgemental ties of consciousness.

We resolve a problem within consciousness through self acceptance or we can create a problem through self rejection, mindfulness will help as long as you are allowing the underlying thoughts to come into focus and you are embracing and accepting them (they are your thoughts after all) which is what mindfulness is (to become mindfully aware of self), if you push them aside like most people are taught in meditation then that will not help you at all, the simple reality is that for as long as we choose to reject and battle self, we are currently creating an environment of disharmony and disease within consciousness that creates the environment that our general state of health and wellbeing to reflect within our body and life experience.

Rather than focusing upon the emotions that are arising as symptoms of what is going on within your aspects of consciousness, ask yourself 'what is the problem within consciousness that is currently creating these feelings' and stop and wait for clarification or insight, you already know some of the answers but you have to deal with them by embracing and accepting them, not just acknowledging them, acceptance = harmony and wholeness, rejection = divisional conflict and disease, the choice is yours to make. 😉

(@spiritquester)

Hi Val

Our general state of health and wellbeing is a direct reflection of our underlying state of consciousness, emotions are an electro chemical response that our brain sets up within our physical body in response to what is going on within our non-physical aspects of consciousness; emotions are always being created within the now or current moment of time, we can remember something we have experienced and our brain will respond to these thoughts and create the feelings right now, but feelings are not stored they have to be triggered by a thought that is interpreted by the brain, that can be a thought that we are aware of or one that we were not happy with so we are still currently repressing and refusing to acknowledge it, we call these judgemental ties of consciousness.

We resolve a problem within consciousness through self acceptance or we can create a problem through self rejection, mindfulness will help as long as you are allowing the underlying thoughts to come into focus and you are embracing and accepting them (they are your thoughts after all) which is what mindfulness is (to become mindfully aware of self), if you push them aside like most people are taught in meditation then that will not help you at all, the simple reality is that for as long as we choose to reject and battle self, we are currently creating an environment of disharmony and disease within consciousness that creates the environment that our general state of health and wellbeing to reflect within our body and life experience.

Rather than focusing upon the emotions that are arising as symptoms of what is going on within your aspects of consciousness, ask yourself 'what is the problem within consciousness that is currently creating these feelings' and stop and wait for clarification or insight, you already know some of the answers but you have to deal with them by embracing and accepting them, not just acknowledging them, acceptance = harmony and wholeness, rejection = divisional conflict and disease, the choice is yours to make. 😉

Thank you Mr Crick. I appreciate your comments.
PTSD. Work in progress.

(@spiritquester)

Hello Taylor,
Thank you for taking time to comment.
All the Best,
Valerie

(@ccebb1985)

My friend has Nasopharyngeal, he is worried about the air pollution. To ensure a safe and clean living environment against infection, he bought an air sanitizer which effectively destroys Viruses, Bacteria and Volatile Organic Compounds. He is happy that the indoor air quality become more cleaner and fresher than ever before and he can sleep well now.

Share: