14 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
12.1 K Views
licklebabba
Topic starter
(@licklebabba)
Trusted Member

Hi all, hope you are well. My question is this.... can anyone recommend foods, supplements anything to help strengthen my lungs & chest to stop my getting chest infections?? I am getting really down with them. I have had asthma since my early 20's(I am 40 now) I had a brief spell of chest problems when I was around age 7/8 which cleared up & I didn't need to stay on medications. I have only ever had 2 attacks one in early 20's when diagnosed(v frightening) and another attack when aged about 28 in which I thought I was going to die whilst cycling on holiday in America!! I always get a chest infection when I get a cold,it goes straight onto my chest, I sound horrendous & it just wipes me out coughing struggling to breathe etc. I take salamol inhaler as needed & a steroid inhaler twice daily(when I remember) Since September last year when we had air con for 2 days at end of our holiday(I then got a chest infection) ended up on steroids & antibiotics, I have had another 2 since then (bad infections,coughing up gunk,unable to breathe etc)and again put on steroids & amoxicillin. I have now started with another one 3 days ago(always starts with sore tickly throat) and feel rotten,i have an appointment with the advanced practioner nurse today after speaking to a doctor and I just know they will prescribe the same treatment again. I am sick of taking this treatment as it never seems to fully get rid of my symptoms (usual course of treatment they give is 7 days of each medications) but my symptoms remain for a few more days after treatment complete 🙁 so can anyone recommend anything else please.Thanks for reading,sorry its long & waffly! Much appreciated :):)

13 Replies
(@jnani)
Noble Member

Hi
I used to have fevers, ENT infections on regular basis until I was 21. Mudras take all the credit of eradicating all traces of weakness
Mudras are very effective way to strengthen all vital organs and smooth out mal-functioning of various natures.
Mudras come on the top of list of all systems to maintain health and vitality in body and mind as you don't need any external help other than researching about basic things to avoid or add in your diet. Extremely beneficial and very easy to do. Peace and clarity is the usual side-effect of doing anything yogic.
There is Shankh mudra, linga mudra particularly for your conditions.
It is worth a detailed research to check the duration etc
Within weeks you are likely to see a huge difference in functioning of lungs and chest
Hope it helps.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Hi all, hope you are well. My question is this.... can anyone recommend foods, supplements anything to help strengthen my lungs & chest to stop my getting chest infections?? I am getting really down with them. I have had asthma since my early 20's(I am 40 now) I had a brief spell of chest problems when I was around age 7/8 which cleared up & I didn't need to stay on medications. I have only ever had 2 attacks one in early 20's when diagnosed(v frightening) and another attack when aged about 28 in which I thought I was going to die whilst cycling on holiday in America!! I always get a chest infection when I get a cold,it goes straight onto my chest, I sound horrendous & it just wipes me out coughing struggling to breathe etc. I take salamol inhaler as needed & a steroid inhaler twice daily(when I remember) Since September last year when we had air con for 2 days at end of our holiday(I then got a chest infection) ended up on steroids & antibiotics, I have had another 2 since then (bad infections,coughing up gunk,unable to breathe etc)and again put on steroids & amoxicillin. I have now started with another one 3 days ago(always starts with sore tickly throat) and feel rotten,i have an appointment with the advanced practioner nurse today after speaking to a doctor and I just know they will prescribe the same treatment again. I am sick of taking this treatment as it never seems to fully get rid of my symptoms (usual course of treatment they give is 7 days of each medications) but my symptoms remain for a few more days after treatment complete 🙁 so can anyone recommend anything else please.Thanks for reading,sorry its long & waffly! Much appreciated :):)

They may surprise you. If you have had repeated infections they could well decide in a different antibiotic. Plus knowing how some doctors can prescribe I am wondering if they gave you the correct dose. For an adult on amoxiicillin that should be 500mg three times a day. If they had you on too low a dose that could be why it wasn't as effective as it should have been.

If you are still asthmatic then you need to use the steroid inhaler regularly. But you probably know that anyway and didn't need me to tell you 🙂

I wil leave advice of supplements to those who are experts (which I am not) but I do sympathise. My son has now outgrown his childhood asthma but it has left him with a weak chest and he gets at least one chest infection a year if not more.

My only dietary advice would be to make sure you are are eating the recommended 5 a day of fruit and vegetables.......

(@mouse16)
Honorable Member

Recurrent chest/respiratory infections are common if you are deficient in Vitamin D. It may be worth asking your Doctor for a blood test. I only know this because I was diagnosed as being severely Vit D deficient and have been doing lots of research and reading (!). I also remember getting these every year once or twice without fail...

(@mountaineer)
Prominent Member

Garlic and Olive Leaf Extract would be my suggestions...

licklebabba
Topic starter
(@licklebabba)
Trusted Member

Hello,many thanks for the replies, i have looked into vit d myself,just bought some so will give them a go. Thanks all again 🙂

(@mouse16)
Honorable Member

Hello,many thanks for the replies, i have looked into vit d myself,just bought some so will give them a go. Thanks all again 🙂

Hi there,

I hope things work out for you. If you need some good clear information on Vitamin D, I have found this site explains things clearly:

[url]Vitamin D | Vitamin D Council | Providing information on vitamin D[/url]

They recommend supplementing 5,000 iu per day (although, of course, best to be tested first to see if your levels are deficient).

I think it is a slow process, I am 6 weeks into a high dose and don't feel much better but will get there!

butterflywings
(@butterflywings)
Reputable Member

I too am asthmatic and have problems if I get a cold. I have also had recurrent chest infections over the last 6 months.

The last time I picked wild garlic, dried it and made tea with it 3 times a day for 3 days. The result was a cough but no asthma and my chest was totally clear. I did have to have antibiotics but they cleared the cough without steroids.

(@liveinharmony)

hello there,

I had a very bad cold that developed to a chest infection. so I just googled for something complementary instead of medicating myself. I felt like someone was sitting on my chest and after my first session with salt it was gone! was surprised! so I guess it can help to others as well!

(@shirleyzee)

Chest Infections

I had nasty reoccurring infections and ended up in hospital with pleurisy and had reflexology. I don't understand it and don't know much about it , but it worked. Every time he work on my feet I would end up with a beet root red section on my skin in my chest area for about an hour after the treatment. Wierd, but interesting. It might even be worth looking it up and just working on the chest/lung section of the feet yourself. It's worth a try.

(@michael-price6)
Reputable Member

Hi sorry you are having problems with your chest. It may be worth asking your GP if you could have a CT scan just to see what is going on in their. Do you smoke? if you do then you need to find a way to stop. If you dont that is great. I have tryed always to inprove my immune system I still think high doses of vitamin C are best, say 1000mg three times a day, for just three days and then down to 500mg per day. I hope you are feeling better soon.

(@michael-price6)
Reputable Member

Recurrent chest/respiratory infections are common if you are deficient in Vitamin D. It may be worth asking your Doctor for a blood test. I only know this because I was diagnosed as being severely Vit D deficient and have been doing lots of research and reading (!). I also remember getting these every year once or twice without fail...

Your right about vitamin D, and you can get enough from sunlight, however dont do what I did and end up with skin cancer. I love the sun but 30 mins per day without protection is enough, so I have been told.

(@michael-price6)
Reputable Member

They may surprise you. If you have had repeated infections they could well decide in a different antibiotic. Plus knowing how some doctors can prescribe I am wondering if they gave you the correct dose. For an adult on amoxiicillin that should be 500mg three times a day. If they had you on too low a dose that could be why it wasn't as effective as it should have been.

If you are still asthmatic then you need to use the steroid inhaler regularly. But you probably know that anyway and didn't need me to tell you 🙂

I wil leave advice of supplements to those who are experts (which I am not) but I do sympathise. My son has now outgrown his childhood asthma but it has left him with a weak chest and he gets at least one chest infection a year if not more.

My only dietary advice would be to make sure you are are eating the recommended 5 a day of fruit and vegetables.......

I think it would be a good idea to boost the immune system with vitamin C 500mg per day, this may help to reduce the chance of chest infections. If a chest infection occurs then take 1000mg 3 times a day for three days. It may help the recovery time. Stop after 3 days back to 500mg per day.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Your right about vitamin D, and you can get enough from sunlight, however dont do what I did and end up with skin cancer. I love the sun but 30 mins per day without protection is enough, so I have been told.

You don't get ANY vitamin D from sunlight. Sunlight helps convert stuff into Vitamin D.....if you haven't got enough pre-cursor on board all the sun in the word won't raise your vitamin D levels a jot.

But I agree there is a difficult balance to be struck between protecting ylour skin and actually benefitting from sunlight....

Share: