AM I ON THE RIGHT T...

Notifications
Clear all

AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK WITH THIS QUESTION AND ANSWER ?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@therapyrules)
Trusted Member

VR160.7
- UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES MIGHT IT BE APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR CLIENT TO HAVE A COMPANION/CARER PRESENT DURING TREATMENT AND WHAT ISSUES MIGHT BE INVOLVED WITH THIS ?

Reasons a client may wish or need to have a companion or carer present are:

Under age client (minor)

Disabled client

Deaf client

Nervous client

Male client may wish to have their partner present or vice versa due to feeling uneasy about the opposite sex touching them

A child in social care or receiving palliative care

Blind client

Foreign client that doesn’t speak the same language

Elderly patient that may be confused or have dementia

There are several issues that may be involved with having a carer or companion present during a treatment, these would be:

Ensuring the client is happy and aware someone else will be present

Preparing the therapy room / work space for an additional person

Client consent and treatment plan to be signed by companion or carer if client unable

THANKS FOR ANY ADVISE IN ADVANCE - WORRIED I HAVEN'T COVERED WHAT THE QUESTION IS ASKING ?!

10 Replies
(@potion)
Estimable Member

RE: AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK WITH THIS QUESTION AND ANSWER ?

Looks fine to me.

You could also include a pregnant client - perhaps if you were trying to induce labour, they may prefer to have someone there.

Or a client in labour whois likely tobe under the care of a midwife in which case you need to respect that the midwife is in charge and that you need to keep them informed of what you're doing, not get in the wayand not give contradictory advice.

Potion

sparkie
(@sparkie)
Estimable Member

Well I've done VR160 and as I have just qualified, must have written sufficient on this, and you seem to have more than covered what I wrote! The only other point I picked up on was that you may not elicit so much useful and relevant information when there is someone else present, certainly for the consultation.

Good luck!

Sarah

(@moonraker)
Estimable Member

Sounds completely on the right track to me. Well done.
Only two items to possibly add from personal experience are :
with a foreign or non English speaking client make sure the person with them can interperate between you and the client and that they understand what things to communicate eg soreness.

a client who suffers from mild seizures or epilepsy may want some one with them who knows what to do in case of an attack and where the client'smedication is.

Mike

Topic starter
(@therapyrules)
Trusted Member

Hi Moonraker, sparkie & potion

Thank you so much for your advise and help with this, I have struggled sue to being dyslexic (think I spelt it wrong!) so have been constantly questioning myself and whether i can do this.

Really appreciate your points and they make sense to me so I have included them.

Cheers, I'm chuffed now !!

lol suex

Topic starter
(@therapyrules)
Trusted Member

Sparkie congratulations for passing recently - you must been really pleased !

Would any of you be able to have a look at some of the other answers I have written to see if I have written enough and am on the right track again.

Don't worry if not, as you may not want to look at any more reflexology answers but if so thanks in advance, I will post 3 that im not sure about when you give me the go ahead.

Again not a problem if not and thanks lots

lol suex

sparkie
(@sparkie)
Estimable Member

Hi Sue

No problem regarding the other questions! You've probably covered them sufficiently but I found it hard on my assignments to know how much to include. I think you will find that you have written more than sufficient and I'm sure all my answers could have been covered in half the space!

(Thanks for your good wishes too! Having qualified recently in IHM, and just qualified in Reflexology, I'm now avidly reading all the posts on attracting clients and re-reading my Steven Harold book......)

Best wishes

Sarah

Topic starter
(@therapyrules)
Trusted Member

Hi Sarah

Here goes, I'm really unsure about these 2, your thanks are really appreciated I want to write more but my brain has had enough! Thanks again. Good luck, had a look at your website it looks brill, lovely and clear also very pleasing and inviting ! best of luck sue x P.s moving to Gloucestershire soon from Devon, i will miss it very much !

VR35.10
- HOW CAN REFLEXOLOGY BE USED IN A BENEFCIAL WAY WITHIN THE HEALTH CARE SECTOR?
Reflexology can be used to help a client who is receiving conventional medicine in various ways:

It can help the client relax and induce a good night sleep

It can compliment another therapy e.g. massage

WHAT PROTOCOLS SHOULD YOU FOLLOW AND WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW THEM ?

Protocols to follow are:

Professionalism

Clients confidentiality

sparkie
(@sparkie)
Estimable Member

Hi Sue!

The question on my assignment was worded slightly differently but same jist, "Explain how reflexology could be delivered in the health care sector and the need of following correct protocols"

Protocols I took to mean correct communication and respect between the reflexologist and health care sector, but this would include confidentiality and professionalism which you have already listed.

This was a useful quote from one of my books:
"Write to your local GP practice manager introducing yourself, explaining reflexology, and offering to arrange a meeting to discuss how reflexology could be helpful to their patients. Treatments may save the practice money on their prescription bills, and help to make conventional treatment more effective too." (Reflexology: A Practical Approach, Pitman & MacKenzie, 1997)

Make the point thatreflexologists do not diagnose or treat specific conditions, but that reflexology has been shown to help certain conditions by enabling the body to heal itself, and give some examples.

Also, we can not make a claim to cure conditions, but holistic treatments can work side by side with conventional treatment, and should not be used instead of them

Treatment carried out before some other treatments such as dental work, or psychotherapy, can help the patient relax, overcome fears, and be more open to the healing process (Reflexology Handbook, Laura Norman, 2006).

If a patient is referred from another health professional, it is professional etiquette to keep them informed with a status report on the client’s progress. Also, it is important to practice within codes of ethics, maybe list some key ones. eg.

• Client assured of confidentiality

• Never advise a patient to stop taking medication prescribed by their doctor

• Adopt a competent, caring, responsible manner.

• Keep up to date with developments.

• Practice within the scope of my expertise, and understand and respect limitations

Covering the above got me through! I hope it helps as some of my answers got very waffly through not being sure how much to include.

Thanks for feedback on the website! Good luck with the move to Gloucestershire, and it's not too far away for trips back to Devon!

Best wishes

Topic starter
(@therapyrules)
Trusted Member

Hi Sarah

Many thanks for that, I didn't come up with anything that you wrote, I see where the question is heading now but I didnt really understand it suppose !

many many thanks, your a star and i really appreciate it, have learned alot.

take care lol suex

Mtbw
(@mtbw)
Estimable Member

VR160.7 - UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES MIGHT IT BE APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR CLIENT TO HAVE A COMPANION/CARER PRESENT DURING TREATMENT AND WHAT ISSUES MIGHT BE INVOLVED WITH THIS ?

Reasons a client may wish or need to have a companion or carer present are:

Under age client (minor)

Disabled client
Deaf client
Nervous client
Male client may wish to have their partner present or vice versa due to feeling uneasy about the opposite sex touching them
A child in social care or receiving palliative care
Blind client
Foreign client that doesn’t speak the same language
Elderly patient that may be confused or have dementia

There are several issues that may be involved with having a carer or companion present during a treatment, these would be:

Ensuring the client is happy and aware someone else will be present

Preparing the therapy room / work space for an additional person
Client consent and treatment plan to be signed by companion or carer if client unable

THANKS FOR ANY ADVISE IN ADVANCE - WORRIED I HAVEN'T COVERED WHAT THE QUESTION IS ASKING ?!

Very good answer. I would add some points like:
Clients feeling emotionally unstable or mentally unstable but suitable for the treatment
Clients that have MSK injuries and feel need/required support from his carer
Etc...

Share: