Know anything about Osteomyology?

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@sportstherapy)
Noble Member

Hi,
does any of you know anything about Osteomyology? Hearing some worrying stories about these therapists doing neck and back manipulations without recognised training! [sm=nono.gif][sm=nono.gif]

10 Replies
(@janey)
Reputable Member

RE: Know anything about Osteomyology?

I'm not 100% sure about this so don't quote me on it .................................
- but when Osteopathy got it's general council some years ago all osteopaths had to retake exams and some failed - they had had training and had been practicing for years but now couldn't call themselves osteopaths so they gave what they did a new name and continued to practice as they always had but not now as osteopaths.

as i say this might not be "osteomyology" but it sounds as if this might be the sort of thing you are hearing about.

Funnybunny
(@funnybunny)
Honorable Member

I was talking to my Chiropractor the other day about Sports/Remedial Massage and he was telling me about a therapist he used to use who did a ten week(end?) course that taught her how to do manipulations.

It turned out that the people teaching the course weren't qualified as Osteopaths, though she still has D.O in her qualifications she doesn't actually practise manipulation now.

The Chiro's point was that it took him 4 years to learn what he does and as far as he is concerned there is no way anyone could learn Osteopathy/Chiropractic movements safely in 10 weeks(ends?)

Having said all that there are always people who are good and people who are bad at what they do irrespective of the qualifications they have on paper

LOL

FBx

(@anahata)
Noble Member

As I understand it - Osteomyology is a word coined and used by osteopaths that were either not accepted on the General Osteopathic Council (GOsC), when it came into force in 2000.

Some chose not to join on principle for various reasons, including fear of being dictated to, as to what they could/ couldn't do, who & with what problems they could treat, etc.

Some presumably were not happy about having to justify what they had been doing for years and some of the older osteopaths retired, which is not something that osteopaths tend to do. Most seem to just wind down by limiting new cases. In away osteopathy may have lost some of it's great classical osteopaths through this, but the spirit of osteopathy lives on in those of us that strive for the truth and knowledge in nature. 🙂

Those that had only done part time courses (other than doctors, perhaps) were probably more likely to struggle with all the paper work, case studies, etc involved in qualifying for membership of the GOsC. One local osteopath even tried to commit suicide over the situation.

You have to understand that for many osteopaths that strive to be truly osteopathic it isn't simply a job. It is an all consuming occupation and to understand the human condition with a view to correcting or even helping as best we can is a seemingly never ending task.

I just saw that not joining the GOsC wasn't an option. If these health care professions are to be taken seriously then there needs to be some sort of governing body to protect the public against those that would sully the name of such therapeutic modalities. A necessary evil if you prefer. The GOsC is far from prefect, but like most things in life it is a work in progress.

Since the formation of the GOsC the newly named osteomyologists were joined by Chiropractors that were in a similar situation, when the General Chiropractic Council came into power soon after and by a variety of physical, physio therapists and other manual therapists.

I sympathises with osteomyologists and their idealism, but felt that personally I could do best for others and the profession by playing the political game.

I am certainly not going to bow down to the idea that osteopaths can only help with mechanical, musculo skeletal problems as I am a vitalist and practice both cranial and visceral osteopathy. [sm=soapbox.gif]

Think I've put info on those atop of this Forum and stuff on websites, also.

I'll get off my soap box now - Andrew. 😀

(@alan-clemens)

In reply to basically all the messages posted on the subject of "know anything about Osteomyology?", as Chairman of The Osteomyology Association, I would like to paint a clearer picture. All Osteomyologists hold professional qualifications which were gained at all the top institutions of Osteopathy, Chiropractic, Manipulative Therapy. It is totally erronious to suggest that members, Osteopathic, failed their exams with the GOsC as there were no exams in the first place. Osteopaths were required to fill out a profile of themselves and their practice and their past education, but this was stressed by the GOsC themselves not to be an exam.

A lot of the Osteomyologists decided that as they did not agree with the policies / charges / and general policing activies of both the GOsC and the GCC they would continue their practices (some in excess of 25 years) under the umbrella of Osteomyology (Osteomyologists). The policy of the Association is to disclaim themselves from Osteopathy / Chiropractic / Manipulative Therapists and create a new body i.e. Osteomyologists. All Practitioners of whatever discipline working together to create new avenues

Osteomyologists were the first group to establish regular CPD covering all clinical subjects in the manipulative / soft tissue / clinical management, in fact all subjects relevent to everyday clinical practice.

Politically, they were instrutmental in engineering the first Adjournment Debate involving the 1993 Osteopathic Act, which although promised the affairs to be looked into, appeared to come to nothing. As a part of their Code of Practice and Ethics, the Association frowns upon any of its members using or inferring that they are Osteopaths, Chiropractors, Manipulative Therapists.

A J W Clemens
Chairman

(@anahata)
Noble Member

Thanks for filling us in Alan.

For further info here'e the website for The Osteomyology Association

Andrew

Topic starter
(@sportstherapy)
Noble Member

Hi Alan, thanks for your posting. The thing that I would like clearing up is the fact that I know of individuals, having had no formal training, joining your organisation with just a reference from an Osteopath, saying that they are competent in giving high velocity back and neck manipulations. I have spoken to somone at your organisation and they have stated that these people should not be doing these manipulations, but that doesnt stop them, as they have obtained your block insurance, and as they call themselves osteomyologists, are not breaking the law. The insurance company then informed me that without the formal training, their insurance would be invalidated.

This leaves the client the loser, as, if the manipulation causes a problem and they put a claim in, the insurance will not pay out.

Obviously under the Data Protection Act I cannot give details of the individuals, but I have spoken to them to say that they shouldnt be doing the manipulations, and their replies are, well we are insured!

The individuals I know who are now registered Osteomyologists, have only had massage training.

Im not having a go at Osteomyologists, as I know both Chiropractors and Osteopaths who left their governing bodies due to the politics, charging and restrictions placed on them, so I would very happily go for treatment with one of these.

(@alan-clemens)

Hi Sports Therapist
We do not accept any practictioner without Professional qualifications and certainly not from recommendations of osteopaths,point one. Secondly you are quite correct in stating that if this was the case ,the persons involved would not be safe to use manipulative techniques.We are now even as I speak checking all of our 600+members insurance against their professional quallies which is a vast job.We take this matter very seriously and suggest that if likewise you also consider it a serious matter you could save us immense work by either phoning, using 1471(not to be discovered)sending a fax or of course snail mail.Unfortunately we send out bloc insurance forms to members but have no control over which insurance they decide to take,this is a matter of trust, or it was up until your report, we have know blocked this loophole. Accept our assurance that when these offenders are found they will be dealt with most severely. We thank you for bringing this to our attention and please try to help.

Alan J W Clemens Chairman, Assoc of Osteomyologists

(@reggie)

Osteomyology is not a recognised health profession in the UK (nor, as far as I am aware, anywhere else in the world). There are no recognised qualifications in 'osteomyology'.

The Association of Osteomyologists calls itself a 'professional association' but this claim was questioned by the judge in a recent case where two 'osteomyologists' were found guilty of the criminal offence of calling themselves chiropractors when not registered. There was also criticism of the fact that the Association provided the two 'osteomyologists' with waivers, which they got patients to sign, which were not worth the paper they were written on.

My advice - find yourself a registered chiropractor,a registered osteopath or a registered physiotherapist.

Topic starter
(@sportstherapy)
Noble Member

hi Reggie, do you have any more information on this?
thanks

(@reggie)

The criminal case was R v Hughes & Beckett-Cole 30 May - 1 June 2005 @ Maidstone Magistrates Court

Share: