Clear all

Osteopathy Book recommendations

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@janey)
Reputable Member

OK so I have had my first tutorial weekend and our Osteo tutor doesn't recommend books - she wants us to make up our minds and chose books ourselves as we will all have different tastes and requirements.

Very laudable , not very practical.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Osteopathy textbooks? and by the same token any books to totally avoid 'cos they are so rubbish?

xx

5 Replies
(@sonial)
Estimable Member

RE: Osteopathy Book recommendations

Hi Janey
I've come across a couple of books written by someone who teaches osteopathy They're Understanding Muscles and Understanding Joints by Bernard Kingston (I think). They seem easy to understand and have sections where you can draw in them and try stuff out.

BTW What course are you doing and where?

Sonia

Topic starter
(@janey)
Reputable Member

Hello - thanks for that I shall lokk out for those.

I am at the London School of Osteopathy - as I say just had my first weekend and wondering what the hell I have let myself in for - there seems to be soooooooo much to learn.

keep reminding myself how much I want to do this......................:)

(@candie)
Noble Member

Hi Janey, PM Anahata I am sure he will help. He trained at your college.

(@anahata)
Noble Member

No - I went to the British School of Osteopathy, but it is in London, but then most osteopathic colleges are.

Is Robin Kirk (top geezer) now the principle of the London College?

Bernies book is fine for functional musculoskeletal anatomy, if you've just started, but, well the pictures are a bit on the dodgy side.

First year is very daunting for most, so I suggest talking to others in the same boat. At the outset it's much ado with anatomy & physiology, so a good place to start is literally the Anatomy colouring book and Tortora for physiology.

Basic Clinical Physiology by Green, oxford uni press is an excellent 'bare bones' (forgive the pun) guide to the subject.

Osteopathy is very much about understanding health from anatomy & physiology (prefer anatomy myself) and working out things from there. Rather than looking at pathology & trying to work backwards from the symptoms of disease like modern medicine seems to. [sm=scratchchin.gif]

On the book front I'm a fan of Leon Chaitow, but feel free to PM or email and I'll try & help all I can. 😉

Andrew.

PS There used to be an Indain website where you could access the latest version of Grays Anatomy - it wasn't there last time I looked, but may be worth a Google.

Topic starter
(@janey)
Reputable Member

Thank you for the suggestions Andrew,
-sorry had a very busy week and haven't looked at HP for a while so didn't reply sooner. yes Robin Kirk is at the LSO!

someone else mentioned the Chaitow so I guess that will be on my list at Amazon!

Share: