Coffee hindering weight loss

21 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I have recently read that coffee can make weight loss difficult due to it stimulating our hormone, cortisol; this, in turn, raises blood sugar levels that can be stored as fat. This seems to be borne out by a google search.

I am wondering if anyone here has given up coffee (but not sugar) and found that they have lost weight.

20 Replies
(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

I think you would have to drink excessive amounts before it affected cortisol levels to the extent that it affected weight gain.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I think you would have to drink excessive amounts before it affected cortisol levels to the extent that it affected weight gain.

What is considered an excessive amount though? I drink about 5 - 6 small cups of instant coffee daily.

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

The caffeine in coffee should raise your metabolism, though.

Bodybuilders use ECA stacks to cut before a competition:

As to how much, 2 mugs of coffee a day is fine. Have other things like green teas, white teas (not white tea), herbal teas, cold water (squeeze a lemon or lime slice into cold water if you don't like plain cold water).

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

The caffeine in coffee should raise your metabolism, though.

Bodybuilders use ECA stacks to cut before a competition:

As to how much, 2 mugs of coffee a day is fine. Have other things like green teas, white teas (not white tea), herbal teas, cold water (squeeze a lemon or lime slice into cold water if you don't like plain cold water).

Yes I know what I should do...doesn't appeal though so am trying to ascertain the truth of it all.

On reflection, what I read said that cortisol is raised (by coffee) like when we get anxious/raised adrenalin. I know it affects some people that way but I have never got the 'jitters' from drinking coffee so maybe I am OK. Perhaps concentrating on sugar consumption directly would be more beneficial (since it is the link to cortisol that raises blood sugar).

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

Ah, well if you don't get jittery then, a white coffee with sugar will have about 80 kcals. 6 cups of that is a small meal!

Try sweeteners with black coffee. (That is about 5 kcals I think.)

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Ah, well if you don't get jittery then, a white coffee with sugar will have about 80 kcals. 6 cups of that is a small meal!

Try sweeteners with black coffee. (That is about 5 kcals I think.)

Depends how you are judging the sugar...the conventional method is 2 teaspoons of white sugar. I have half a teaspoon of molasses sugar per cup (just tastes better, i.e. I know it probably has the same calories equivalent of half a teaspoon of white sugar though).

I think concentrating on my sugar consumption, e.g. chocolate etc could be a better way of addressing weight gain... or perhaps eating less chocolate and with some fibre e.g. a chocolate wafer so that it is broken down more slowly by the body...less likely to be stored as fat?

(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

Depends what sort of chocolate you are eating. The only 'safe' chocolate is dark chocolate - 70% cocoa solids and above - and even then, your body only really needs 2 small squares to benefit. The average 'dairy milk' chocolate mix has so much added rubbish.

Are you trying to lose weight Amy? Have you looked at your general 'nutrition'? Grains have a lot to account for - don't just confine your research to one 'group'.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Depends what sort of chocolate you are eating. The only 'safe' chocolate is dark chocolate - 70% cocoa solids and above - and even then, your body only really needs 2 small squares to benefit. The average 'dairy milk' chocolate mix has so much added rubbish.

Are you trying to lose weight Amy? Have you looked at your general 'nutrition'? Grains have a lot to account for - don't just confine your research to one 'group'.

Yes I mostly eat dark chocolate. My knowledge of nutrition is pretty advanced. I am sort of trying to lose weight (mostly for an imminent operation on my nasal polyps...not getting any younger, etc). I am managing to avoid crisps (I am a crispaholic!) and just have soup for the odd meal.

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

Depends how you are judging the sugar...the conventional method is 2 teaspoons of white sugar. I have half a teaspoon of molasses sugar per cup (just tastes better, i.e. I know it probably has the same calories equivalent of half a teaspoon of white sugar though).

I think concentrating on my sugar consumption, e.g. chocolate etc could be a better way of addressing weight gain... or perhaps eating less chocolate and with some fibre e.g. a chocolate wafer so that it is broken down more slowly by the body...less likely to be stored as fat?

Well, if you think your coffee/milk/sugar intake is low (milk has calories, too!), then continue as you are and if you are looking at weight loss then it's definitely because you're eating too much of everything than your body needs. Either increase your body's needs or decrease the fuel intake.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Well, if you think your coffee/milk/sugar intake is low (milk has calories, too!), then continue as you are and if you are looking at weight loss then it's definitely because you're eating too much of everything than your body needs. Either increase your body's needs or decrease the fuel intake.

Thanks but, yes I do know this...the old adage 'eat less and exercise more'. Well and truly drummed into our minds by the
media. However, if it were that simple there would be more slim people. Overeating is complex and psychological....currently
I am winning but it does fluctuate.

(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

Having been a lifelong (well, since I left home in my late teens) 'calorie counter' - and bored myself even more than I bored my friends about the subject, I finally (3 years ago) stopped talking about 'diets' and what I should and couldn't eat (including lecturing my friends!) and opted to eat what suited me. Without really knowing it, I was following the lchf (low carb high fat) method. I gave up bread/potatoes/pasta and rice. Went cold turkey with sugar, and by default sweetener (as I cannot stand the taste). Many years ago I listened to a lecture, where the presenter advised us all to shop 'only on the outside of a supermarket' - meaning the outside wall - where all the fresh stuff is! Fresh leafy greens, fruit (although not excessive), meat, hard cheeses, eggs, fish, cream, butter - I could go on... I lost a pile of weight, and am now very happy were I am - and I feel brilliant.
Amy - I think you came to your own conclusion in Post #5 - about concentrating on sugar consumption.

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

Thanks but, yes I do know this...the old adage 'eat less and exercise more'. Well and truly drummed into our minds by the
media. However, if it were that simple there would be more slim people. Overeating is complex and psychological....currently
I am winning but it does fluctuate.

Well, it IS that simple (it's physics), but people just end up eating more and exercising less for various reasons (life, emotional, etc). It's down to discipline and consistency, but both of those can be overruled by the reasons you're hinting at.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Well, it IS that simple (it's physics), but people just end up eating more and exercising less for various reasons (life, emotional, etc). It's down to discipline and consistency, but both of those can be overruled by the reasons you're hinting at.

Of course the formula is simple (eat less, exercise more) but what I meant was if it were that simple to DO then we wouldn't have the obesity issue that we currently do have. Intentions are usually not enough and, for those who use food like a drug (for comfort/pleasure/compensation) motivation can be problematic. Discipline is easier when life is a smooth road.... It's about cultivating new, more healthy habits i.e. rewarding self preferably in another way (than with food). I am still searching for an effective substitute!

I guess the trick is to not be too phased with a lapse of overeating but to 'get back in the saddle', as it were.

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

There are other things that come into play, of course - like what you can afford to buy. Cheap sugar-filled food is easier to come by and cheaper to buy.
I know making from scratch is supposed to be cheaper, but it isn't always.

Also, people have been brainwashed for years into thinking fat is bad for you - leading to buying 'low-fat', often high-sugar products. We can scarcely be surprised that people believe it.

I know this doesn't contradict 'eat less, exercise more', but it adds complications.

And not everyone can 'eat less, exercise more' anyway. My partner cannot walk more than a few steps - more than that and she uses a mobility scooter - great for getting out and about, but not for exercise. All the medication she's using for pain increases her weight. Without eating more (in fact, eating less because she is desperate not to reduce her health further by obesity), she has gained 2 stone in 2 years.

As Amy says, if it were easy everyone would do it.

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

Of course the formula is simple (eat less, exercise more) but what I meant was if it were that simple to DO then we wouldn't have the obesity issue that we currently do have. Intentions are usually not enough and, for those who use food like a drug (for comfort/pleasure/compensation) motivation can be problematic. Discipline is easier when life is a smooth road.... It's about cultivating new, more healthy habits i.e. rewarding self preferably in another way (than with food). I am still searching for an effective substitute!

I guess the trick is to not be too phased with a lapse of overeating but to 'get back in the saddle', as it were.

Yes, we all know this. 🙂

Life is never a smooth road, sadly. 🙁

Certainly, find another reward. There are lots of them out there and they aren't all bad for you. I enjoy playing computer games but obviously, that would probably bore a lot of people. 😀

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

There are other things that come into play, of course - like what you can afford to buy. Cheap sugar-filled food is easier to come by and cheaper to buy.
I know making from scratch is supposed to be cheaper, but it isn't always.

Also, people have been brainwashed for years into thinking fat is bad for you - leading to buying 'low-fat', often high-sugar products. We can scarcely be surprised that people believe it.

I know this doesn't contradict 'eat less, exercise more', but it adds complications.

And not everyone can 'eat less, exercise more' anyway. My partner cannot walk more than a few steps - more than that and she uses a mobility scooter - great for getting out and about, but not for exercise. All the medication she's using for pain increases her weight. Without eating more (in fact, eating less because she is desperate not to reduce her health further by obesity), she has gained 2 stone in 2 years.

As Amy says, if it were easy everyone would do it.

She might not be able to exercise more but it's possible that she could eat less. What is her TDEE? What is her daily intake? Without know these details, you can't say whether she's eating more or less.

As for exercise, you can do seated exercises (subject to spinal conditions). It won't burn as many calories as, say, going for a run, but it will help. 🙂

I would recommend signing up to myfitnesspal's forums and asking for tips on there.

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

She might not be able to exercise more but it's possible that she could eat less. What is her TDEE? What is her daily intake? Without know these details, you can't say whether she's eating more or less.

As for exercise, you can do seated exercises (subject to spinal conditions). It won't burn as many calories as, say, going for a run, but it will help. 🙂

I would recommend signing up to myfitnesspal's forums and asking for tips on there.

I know she's eating less than she used to. I prepare her food. TDEE? I don't know, but fairly low, I would think. She's in huge pain and has no balance and, frankly, the benefits of exercise for her are not worth it (her assessment. I'm not going to argue). Daily intake - about 1000 calories. (Me too. I can just about maintain my weight on that. I can't lose. And I'm doing stuff. Not formal exercise, but heavy-duty gardening.)

Myfitnesspal? I use it to keep a check of what I'm eating (and, therefore, of what Christine's eating). But I don't go on the Forum. I know from previous posts on here that you get a lot out of it, Darren, but I dislike the aggression towards those who disagree with a post. I've tried it and won't again.

My previous comments weren't really about Christine - although thank you for trying - just pointing out that other things come into play when something like 'eat less, exercise more' meets complicated real-life.

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

I know she's eating less than she used to. I prepare her food. TDEE? I don't know, but fairly low, I would think. She's in huge pain and has no balance and, frankly, the benefits of exercise for her are not worth it (her assessment. I'm not going to argue). Daily intake - about 1000 calories. (Me too. I can just about maintain my weight on that. I can't lose. And I'm doing stuff. Not formal exercise, but heavy-duty gardening.)

Myfitnesspal? I use it to keep a check of what I'm eating (and, therefore, of what Christine's eating). But I don't go on the Forum. I know from previous posts on here that you get a lot out of it, Darren, but I dislike the aggression towards those who disagree with a post. I've tried it and won't again.

My previous comments weren't really about Christine - although thank you for trying - just pointing out that other things come into play when something like 'eat less, exercise more' meets complicated real-life.

Oh yes, they can be aggressive. Hangry. 😀

Sorry to hear she's suffering from a lot of pain. I won't pry but it does sound awful. Can she try something like seated tai chi? If not for the exercise, but to help her to endure the pain as well as for it's more esoteric benefits?

You're really maintaining on 1000kcals and doing lots of gardening? Are you logging everything? If I did gardening all the time I'd probably have to eat closer to 4000kcals to not lose weight. On the bright side, you can save a fortune on food! One of my friends competes in strongman competitions and has to eat nearly 5000kcals a day. That's a lot of meat = a lot of money.

I know other things come into play but people have to find a way for their own health.

(@frances2)

I am posting everywhere I can to tell my fellow sufferers about something that fixed my stage 3 polyps down to stage 1 in a week(though frankly I would say its stage zero if there were such a thing but I'm just going on what ENT guy wrote on letter to my GP)
The Nasonex had stopped working and I had become fully blocked up and I couldn't sleep and felt so distraught. Finally got appointment with ENT man, and went without much hope but he gave me this spray called Dymista, which sounds fairly innocuous. It contains an antihistamine together with the steroid, which again I didn't think would help as there didn't seem to be many antihistamines that helped me anymore. (Azelastine hydrochloride /fluticasone propionate ... I still can't see why it would have worked as the only new word in that list for me is Azelastine. )
It has a vile taste, so when you take it, lean forward like you have a nosebleed that you don't want to get on your clothes, otherwise you will taste it all day.
Ask your GP to try it on you

(@stream26)

I think coffee can help to lose weight, but if you will be collect it on a coffee plantation:rolleyes:

Share: