Sausages

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@milkybarkid)

Hi! 🙂

I'm new to these forums and this is my first post! 🙂

I have been a vegetarian for a few years now after going to uni and deciding not to eat meat. In this time I have tried many different vegetarian sausages and just wanted your opinion on them.

There seems to be a couple of types, sort of dry and herby and then "meat" like at the two extremes.

Being a meat eater previously, i prefer the latter texture, I was just curious if everyone was the same!?

🙂

2 Replies
Cascara
(@cascara)
Prominent Member

It would be wonderful to have a fast food source that was properly vegan and that was edible and likeable, but as an ex meat eater I really don't want substiutute sausages I would rather embrace the healthy fresh vegan options.So many have a long list of ingredients which put me off and so many have allergens in them too.

I suppose it's like bacon or cheese or sausages, they seem to be the three most missed items when one changes diet, partially with the meat its the smell that is so enticing but then think of the crap that goes into them the nitrates and the salt and preservatives, the mechanically recoverd bone products and ugh, that turns my stomach so that no substitute is good enough.

The only meat substitute that I like now is actually the Cauldron, minced tofu, it actually is rather good in a hot chilli or spicy bolognese and not only keeps hunger pangs away but ups the protein considerably so that the tummy is happy too.

SarahReflex
(@sarahreflex)
Prominent Member

I've been a vegetarian for such a long time now that anything too "meaty" turns my stomach but I can understand that they're tempting for newer veggies.

I used to like Linda McCartney sausages but they changed the recipe and made them "meatier" and it put me off. I'm sure I can even detect gristle in them..! 😮

I like the Cauldron Lincolnshire sausages at a push but again a bit too meaty for me.

My favourite's are the very non meaty leek and cheese varieties that are nothing like 'real' sausages but are still great with mash and onion gravy. Mmmmmm..

Sarah

Share: