Has anyone ever had...

Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone ever had Osteopathic dental treatment for TMJ?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@lisaloo)

Hi I've been suffering from vertigo for the last 12 months. Visited an Osteopath for the first time today and he has recommended that he start Osteo Dental treatment for TMJ. Using a plate/splint and acupuncture. He also said that I would be best to have him give this treatment to my son instead of braces, he said Braces were the worst thing I could do for my son.
Has anyone had this treatment before?? Is there any proof it works?

4 Replies
(@david-maldon)
Estimable Member

Welcome to HP Lisaloo

Seems like a bit of a mixture of treatments to me. As an acupuncturist I've treated vertigo using just acupuncture alone, and TMJ, again, just using acupuncture. It can be a slow process, however.

Check that your osteopath has had an extensive acupuncture training, as some have as little as 4 days, which may be useful for some conditions but certainly not all.

Best wishes for a speedy outcome 🙂

Topic starter
(@lisaloo)

Thank you

The Osteopath has a good reputation and seems to have a lot of experience with this. Would it be wise to get a second opinion from another Osteopath.

meadowsweet
(@meadowsweet)
Honorable Member

I have TMJ and I was referred to the Maxillofacial dept at the local hospital. They created a plastic splint for me to wear permanently for 6 weeks and then at night for a further 8 weeks and now only when required. I was also on a squishy food diet for the initial 6 weeks. I still don't eat baguettes very often but now I can bite into an apple without my jaw dislocating.

I have been amazed how a little piece of plastic to retrain my jaw not to bite down so hard has worked so well.

I would go to the dentist and get referred for the TMJ.

Topic starter
(@lisaloo)

The dentist would definitely be cheaper than Osteo. I will speak to my dentist next week and see what he says.
Thank you.

Share: