Clear all

Couches ??????

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@nattie0nattie)

Hi Guys
I'm also new here, started my ITEC diploma 7 weeks ago and am really enjoying it spent too many years thinking about doing the course, don't know why I waited so long!!!

I am after a little advice from anyone who can help. I have been to 3 couch/table stores and have waded through ebay! I am after a lightweight couch as I'll be a mobile therapist for at least my first year. At college we have to carry out a post massage feedback session with our client still on the couch but with the back rest up, however whenever I have recieved a massage in the pastthe therapist leaves the room while I change and speaks to me afterwards, i've never seen a therapist use the backrest. As the backrest makes a huge difference to weight and limits choice is it an essential requirement???????
Do any of you guys use your back rests?
Can anyone advise me on a good couch that won't require a re-mortgage?

Thanks guys

Nat

9 Replies
Holistic
(@holistic)
Illustrious Member

RE: Couches ??????

Hello Nat and welcome to HP! 🙂

Have you had a chance to visit the Massage forum yet? You may find some answers to your queries in there.

Best wishes,

Holistic

lyn
(@lyn)
Prominent Member

Hi, if you have a Costco near you you can register as a therapist in business. They have some wonderful very very light,i'm only 5ft n a spit and I canlift and carryone very easy.Much lighter than my other. Lyn

(@daksina)

hey there....

i have used my back rest for some reflexology clients as they prefer to sit up, but i think you may be able to get away with not having it.

good luck

(@staranise)
Trusted Member

Hi Nat
Although I don't raise the backrest for standard massage treatments, I do think its essential. Like Daksina I have the clients sat up for Reflexology, so if your considering doing a Reflexology course at any point in the future, you will need it. Also, some clients need to be sat up for their massage treatments (i.e. pregnant women and people with severe acid reflux problems, who would be uncomfortable laid flat). In terms of weight I have both types of couches (one with a backrest and one without) and to be honest I don't think there's any difference. Hope this helps with your decision. 😀

(@binah)
Famed Member

Hi,

The couch I bought 19 years ago is a Marshcouch - it has given me a great service. I bought one with a face hole in it, but not a backrest. To be honest in retrospect I could have done with having a backrest as I later trained in Reflexology and Indian Head Massage and this would have helped me.

There are so many companies out there now - and I do love the more expensive couches such as Oakworks as they are padded and very comfortable.

Invest in the right one for you -a good one will last you a long time.

Luv Binah
x

Topic starter
(@nattie0nattie)

Thank you soooooo much guys! I really appreciate all your advice!

Nat x:)

(@helenlou)
Trusted Member

Hi Nat

Welcome to hp:)

I sometimes need to use a couch which doesn't have a back rest and I don't find it a problem at all for massage, I use pillows to raise the client and provide support when necessary, however, if you are planning on mobile work carrying pillows would be just as much of a nuisance. I usually allow the client to rest a while and then dress before I have a post treatment chat to them.

Holistic
(@holistic)
Illustrious Member

Hi again Nat

Following on from my earlier post to you above, I'm now moving this thread over to the Massage forum, since all replies have been in answer to your queries about couches.

Holistic

(@croydon)
Trusted Member

Marshmills couches are good. They make to your specification so can get correct height, extra width ect. Will find them online and they will send you info. Also do a range of colours rather than plain white! Good carry case on rollers for easier moving, less strain on your back.

Share: