Any tips?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@butterfly7)
Trusted Member

Hi,

I've just signed up for a 12 week course of Alexander Technique classes, it's run in a small group with 2 intructors.Can anyone give me any tips or advice on what I should expect? Is it quite physically demanding or fairly gentle?

Thanks!

4 Replies
(@jobelle)
Noble Member

RE: Any tips?

My sister did a couple of months with an Alexander Technique instructor and it is not physically demanding as it is all about the way we use (or abuse) our bodies it is all about changing our posture etc.

Quoted from a book I have: 'It is a method that shows us how to move our bodies in the way they were meant to move, as well as rest and relax them in the way nature intended. If we follow this technique we will get rid of our bad postural habits because we will be taking concious control of our bodies. This can lead to other benefits that may not be immediately obvious such as improvement in those suffering from high blood pressure, bad sleep patterns, breathing problems, depression and the inability to cope with life in general.'

Hope this helps a bit

(@blondepanther)
Estimable Member

Hi there Butterfly7

I am Jo's sister, and I have done a year course in Alexander Technique. It is not a strenuous at all, it is very gentle. It is all about posture and body movement, thinking before you move, using your mind to send signals to your body. The idea is to stretch your muscles and not shorten them. My teacher used to say: Ask yourself why a child can go through their legs 200 times a day and not complain of muscle ace. It is because a child does not use their muscles, they use theirjoints.

After a 5-aside football accident, and 15 years of back problems, and trying numerous trainings, therapies etc. Alexander is what did it for me. I have not had ANY back problems for the past 2 years. My posture, way of breathing and movinghas changed. I am very glad I took the opportunity to try Alexander and would certainly recommend it to others. You will notice the changes your body is going through as you change your posture.

I hope this helps, and that you enjoy Alexander as much as I did.
Andrea

Topic starter
(@butterfly7)
Trusted Member

Hi Andrea,

thanks very much for your feedback, it's nice to hear someone has benefited from it! I don't have any major problems other than the odd bit of back and neck ache, I'm really doing it as I'm training to be a physiotherapist and thought it would be a good technique to learn.

Thanks again,

Sam

(@blondepanther)
Estimable Member

Hi Sam,

It is wonderful to hear that you want to learn this as a technique. I am confident that you will be able to help many people, not just those suffering from back problems, but also muscle and stress related issues.

I felt I was lucky in the Alexander andlearntso much about my general body posture that I have benefited in all areas.

I wish you good luck in your studies and hope you will enjoy learning about Alexander technique.

Andrea

Share: