15 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@login)
Trusted Member

Dear friends,
namaskar.

I have read somewhere that in average buddhists live longer than others. Does any one has any information?

Regards,
Jogeshwar

14 Replies
(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

RE: Being Buddhist and living longer?

hi

not me, but it certainly sounds plausible. I expect they do not partake of cigarettes, binge drinking, late night clubbing, rich food and work-related stress, plus meditate for peace and possibly to enhance their internal energy. This combination of factors is what we are lead to believe a more healthier way of life. 🙂

Well, it's certainly something I'm striving to achieve.

-Darren

(@sacredstar)
Famed Member

Dear Login

It is far easier for anyone to live longer when they do not have to live in the realities of everyday life, Buddhist or not. Dr Usui was a Buddhist and a profound healer but he didn't make old bones. Anyone can be enlightened sitting on a mountaintop or in a temple, more difficult to maintain and sustain when one walks between the worlds of different realities. Living a normal life as a prayerful meditation is truly enlightening.

being love

Kim xx

Topic starter
(@login)
Trusted Member

Dear darren,
namaskar.

centenarians have wide renge of life styles. nothing is common in them. only most predominant factor is gender. about 90% centenarians are women.

Regards,
Jogeshwar

Topic starter
(@login)
Trusted Member

"It is far easier for anyone to live longer when they do not have to live in the realities of everyday life, Buddhist or not"
quote]It is far easier for anyone to live longer when they do not have to live in the realities of everyday life, Buddhist or not

Dear sacredstar,
namaskar.

If one does not care for the realities then he/she will die instantly instead of living longer.

Regards,
Jogeshwar

Topic starter
(@login)
Trusted Member

Well, it's certainly something I'm striving to achieve

Namskar. It is happy news. Many people strive but do not express. will you please post your approach and progress? regards.

Topic starter
(@login)
Trusted Member

Living a normal life

Namaskar. What is living a normal life is the moot question. Harmony with nature is always rewarding. Whereas social, cultural, legal and political realities may not necessarily be so. Did the buddhists create or have created such a socio-cultural reality which is giving them longer life?
regards.

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

Personally, I don't smoke, drink very little alcohol (1-2 units a week), don't take any drugs or medication on a regular basis, do lots of meditation (focusing on the breathe, chi kung and visualisation), eat healthily (hardly eat cakes and sweets, only eat meat to be sociable(!), eat lots of seeds/nuts/beans), do regular exercise. I feel a lot healthier and hope it does work well in the long run - well, it should do according to what doctors and other medical experts are recommending in general. I'll let you know in 40 years time 😀

I think by "normal life" it means dealing with the typical british way of life, being time-poor, always stressed from family and work, working long hours, not having time for oneself, etc... Can't be good long term.

Topic starter
(@login)
Trusted Member

I'll let you know in 40 years time

Thank you darren for posting your endeavours.But 40 years waiting period is too long. Will you please do one measurement? That is, hit the bttocks by heels exercise. Stand up on a soft ground. Jump vertically to hit your buttocks by heels. Repeat in quick sequence till you can not hit the buttocks. Number of times hitting the buttocks will define your life force. See whether your daily graph is going up or down. Please post your experience after doing this exercise. regards.

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

A strange test. Will do it once I'm fully recovered from my op!

How regularly should i repeat this? once a week?

Topic starter
(@login)
Trusted Member

Oh darren dear! I do it daily but last week i had a slip on the stair case resuling pain on my right knee. I shall do it again as soon as i am out of pain.regards

(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

ouch. hope the injury clears quickly.

are there any other similar tests?

Topic starter
(@login)
Trusted Member

my dear darren, namaskar.

Thank you for empathy and good wish. I am now back to hit the buttocks exercise.

in fact, this is not a test. it is an indicator. unless you have higher level of fitness and life force you can not do it regularly. The other such indicator exercises are tandava nritya, mayurasana and shirsasana. regards.

Nah¬meed
(@nahmeed)
Trusted Member

I believe so. I follow Buddhist doctrines but have taken the next step yet. As I understand it most people who follow the dalai lama,follow Tibetan Buddhism but I do not consider my self a authority.
We believe healthy body is healthy mind if they co-exist together then it can affect I believe the diastolic part of your blood pressure reduces wear and tear on your heart.
As I said I have been study at this level for 5years so don,t take this as read.
Also I believe if you practice with your enemies tolerance and foregiveness it certainly makes you feel like you have taken a big step because I believe its harder to forgive than it is to preach compassion? {thought please}.if you was not taught this by your mother.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

I have just started treating a buddhist gentleman with reiki. And when I say buddhist he was at one point a buddhist monk. Sadly he has terminal cancer and he is relatively young...in his 60's.

Share: