Anyone had dealings...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone had dealings with RSPCA Inspectors?

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@cornishenigma)
Estimable Member

I got home today to find a card through my front door from an RSPCA inspector wanting to make contact about 'cats being left unattended'. WTF??? I have NO idea what they are talking about - yes we leave our cat at home during the day while we are at work, and sometimes go away overnight but we have an automatic feeder and if it's for longer than 1 night (but NEVER more than 3) someone will come in and check on her each day (and top up the food).

Anyway - while I am mega annoyed about this in the first place, and will try to find out what the hell is going on - the point of my post is to ask whether anyone has had dealings with RSPCA inspectors. (Either working or had visits) I have called the call centre number on the card but have to wait for the actual inspector to call me back (prob tomorrow now). Can anyone give me a clue as to how they work, what will they want to know, will they try to take my cat away from me?

I'm so upset / annoyed about this I'm shaking. Any advice on what to really expect would be appreciated, otherwise there is no way I'll sleep tonight

13 Replies
(@american-woman)
Noble Member

RE: Anyone had dealings with RSPCA Inspectors?

Oh My! Being in the US... I have no advice, but I wanted to offer my sypathetic support -- the nerve. I'm sending you hugs and positive uplifting thoughts, get some of that tourmaline to hold before and during your chat with these people.

It occurs to me, could somebody be "messing" with you? Could it be a joke? If it's not a joke, do you think your baby might be howling when you're gone and that is why someone reported you? Is there someone out for vengence?

I'm just wondering out loud... I don't know how things work there or what the rules are. Please sweetie, take a deep breath and clear your mind for a moment. Call and find out before getting upset.

Please keep us posted on here, won't you? I'll be looking for your posts -- love from Jennifer (the crazy cat lady)

(@spinal-music)
Famed Member

i'm amazed Chrishta, although I had read a little while ago that there was some such stuff going on. Poor you. I'm sure they won't be unreasonable - you can show that the cats are well looked after and loved. I wonder who reported you to the RSPCA?
In the meantime our kitty has gone missing.............
Lots of love to you, hope you feel better. It probably won't be as bad as you think (IME few things are!)
Sharonxx

Amelia Jane
(@amelia-jane)
Illustrious Member

Sorry christia, I've no experience of the RSPCA but cats are very independant animals...& I'm sure the RSPCA won't find fault in leaving a cat home alone for one night...so long as there's food, freshwater & maybe a clean litter try if there's no cat flap, ....I too wonder who reported you

I hope you get things cleared up soon

Love
Amy
ps Sharon, I hope you cat turns up soon
xx

(@amber-lady)
Noble Member

Hi,
How distressing for you. Firstly be reassured that the RSPCA inspectors have to follow up every complaint that is made, but only in exceptional cases will they remove an animal - it doesn't sound like you fall into that category!

All the inspector will want to do is check to see whether the complaint is founded (obviously not from what you've said!), that the cat is well cared for, that you know what the cat needs in terms of care or to provide education if necessary, and that you are a responsible owner. So, if the inspector makes a home visit and your cat goes outdoors then it will be a good idea to make sure the cat is around so the inspector can see for themselves how happy your kitty is. When I had a visit, the inspector ended up on the floor with my kitty playing with her toys!

It could be that whoever has reported you has seen you going away but hasn't seen anyone coming in, so as far they they know the cat is unattended for 2-3 days. They may not know that you have an automatic feeder. They may not be cat owners themselves and therefore not appreciate how independant cats can be. They may well be coming from a place of good intentions, so although it makes you cross, try not to judge them too harshly, they may well have your cat's interests at heart, however misguided they may be. But then again that's me - always assuming good intent until proven otherwise! [&:]

Hope that helps.
Amber

P.S. Sharon, hope your cat turns up soon - one of mine has just realised that she can get over the garden fence and stayed out all night recently - I know now what my mum went through when I was a teenager!!!!

(@trinityx)
Noble Member

AW! Amber what a lovely reply!!

Tx

(@the-red-dragon)
Reputable Member

Hi Chrishta,

I agree with Amber, I'm sure that the RSPCA inspector would only threat to remove your cat if there was good reason.

When I lived at home as a teenager we had a cat named fluff, I had her when I was 3 and had chickenpox, she was a dear friend, however like many cats do she enjoyed frequenting any neighbourwho was kind enough to let her in, she was 16 and very skinny despite having a good appetite, and she had scaly skin most likely due to her age. Any way she started to visit a local elderly lady, we didn't mind our house was busy and we thought she might like the peace and quiet, she always came back for a cuddle in my bed a night though,

we found out that the lady was disgusted with us mistreating our cat, she told many neighbours that we shouldn't be allowed to have pets and she was trying to feed fluff up, we tried to gently speak to the lady and explain that fluff was old, our only way to stop fluff going there would be to lock her in our house and we couldn't do that, so she continued to visit until she died and the lady continued to think that we mistreated her.

The lady obviously had a misunderstanding about cats and how they behave, if they are offered a comfy retreat they will obviously accept it with grace, thats what cats do.

I'm sure it's just a well meaning misunderstanding, speak to the inspector and explain your position.

Good luck

Saffron

Topic starter
(@cornishenigma)
Estimable Member

V quickly just wanted to say thank you for your lovely replies. Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding. I'll let you know what they say when they eventually call me!

Cx

Topic starter
(@cornishenigma)
Estimable Member

Just to let you know I've now spoken to him. It's all fine thank goodness. Apparently someone had called them to say that our cat had been abandoned along with a litter of kittens and left without food for several days! When I explained that we only have 1 cat, no kittens (and I haven't seen any around the area either) and yes we left her over last weekend but we have an automatic timed feeder and someone came in to her each day as well. Anyway - he was fine about it - his concern was that kittens were being left but I haven't seen any in the area at all, so have no idea what that's about. He's going to see if there is a feral family in the area, otherwise he'll just drop it.

I'm still a bit annoyed that someone who lives near us somewhere thinks that we would abandon our lovely munchkin (and she is gorgeous - just look at the pic!), particularly if she had kittens! Anyway - all over now.

Thanks for the support.

Cx

(@the-red-dragon)
Reputable Member

Hi Chrishta,

Glad it all turned out okay, I suppose you will just have to wonder who/why reported the issue, no doubt it's good that people are concerned even though there is no reason, probably just got the wrong end of the stick.

Love SaffronXX

(@spinal-music)
Famed Member

Oh good, Chrishta. What a shame you had to go through that for nothing.

Hal
(@hal)
Reputable Member

Hi Chrishta,

I am glad your trauma is over and all is well.

I can understand why you are so annoyed about someone calling the RSPCA, especially when you clearly take great care of your cat.

I know a little about the ILPH..a horse welfare org...a chap who works for them was telling me that they get dozens of calls from members of the public that are a waste of time but they have to check them anyway. A popular one is that someone sees a horse in a field resting a hind leg..when horses rest it is normal for them to sort of bend the hock and raise the hoof a little so it is not squarely on the ground. Apparently dozens of people see this and having no knowledge of horses think they are lame or in pain and probably neglected.

But you have to think that it is good that people call these organisations...and that RSPCA etc follow it all up..even if it is a waste of time..better to waste time and annoy someone than risk a situation where an animal is suffering.

No need to take it personally though...and no need to worry,

hal

(@sherringham)
Prominent Member

I am sorry you seem to feelto be a target, but the kittens' welfare is moreimportant.
I worked for an animal charity and one of my colleagues who fostered abused animals while waiting for rehoming was targetted by a spiteful neighbour, when the RSPCA called they did realise there was an element of malice, but my colleague was in need of dog walkers, and the RSPCA Inspector did arrange for himself and several of his colleagues to walk the dogs in their own time and for free, we had been rasing funds to pay professional walkers, so the money raised was put to another purpose.

Sadly on another occasion, in the course of my work, I had been paid to feed2 cats every other day for 3 days, but no food was left, there was no water either for the cats, and the litter tray was too heavy for 3 of us to lift, and the cats had no access to outside either. I called the RSPCA who took both, as both were extremely underweight, starving in fact.

At least you know now the RSPCA will not react to anymore malicious calls , but they do have to look for all cat or other appropriate animal owners with in an area to find the possible owner, it may not have been malicious towards you, just someone being caring towards animals?

Mtbw
(@mtbw)
Estimable Member

I am sure that they act only in case of complain from someone (neighbors?). Or, as an option, random check of pets and how they live.

You love your cat and have normal conditions so I think you have nothing to worry about.
Let them come and see

Yes, it is stress and annoying, but they do their job....

I got home today to find a card through my front door from an RSPCA inspector wanting to make contact about 'cats being left unattended'. WTF??? I have NO idea what they are talking about - yes we leave our cat at home during the day while we are at work, and sometimes go away overnight but we have an automatic feeder and if it's for longer than 1 night (but NEVER more than 3) someone will come in and check on her each day (and top up the food).

Anyway - while I am mega annoyed about this in the first place, and will try to find out what the hell is going on - the point of my post is to ask whether anyone has had dealings with RSPCA inspectors. (Either working or had visits) I have called the call centre number on the card but have to wait for the actual inspector to call me back (prob tomorrow now). Can anyone give me a clue as to how they work, what will they want to know, will they try to take my cat away from me?

I'm so upset / annoyed about this I'm shaking. Any advice on what to really expect would be appreciated, otherwise there is no way I'll sleep tonight[/QUOT

Share: