Notifications
Clear all

young veggie needing help 🙁

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@hannah)

Please read and reply even if it just a sentence, anything is appreciated honest, thank you very much. Hi. Ok so im a vegetarian, im 13 (14 in july), but im the only one in my family (mum, dad, brother and me) …which can cause a few arguments between me and my parents. For dinner in the week I would normally have the same “base” eg potato, pasta ect, and then make a small thing for myself with beans or vegetables or something. Its fine at weekends, when I have the time, but in the week I have loads of homework and its hard to make something every day. I can understand why my mum get frustrated as is it hard. Recently she had been worrying about me, she is worried I am not getting all my vitamins. I’ve been tired lately and I just thought it was because ive been up late recently, but mum seems to think this is due to lack of vitamins and iron ect. Today she asked me to think about having to occasional meat dish. Ive been veggie for a few months now and the thought of eating meat again is disgusting. I get really upset about it all and I don’t like talking about it much, though my normal self doesn’t stop talking! 😀 please help 🙁 hAnnah xxx

16 Replies
meadowsweet
(@meadowsweet)
Honorable Member

Hi Hannah,

I became vegetarian at 13 years too. I'm 32 now and never went back. Try talking to your mum, very carefully, stay calm don't get angry that she doesn't understand. She's just concerned for you, as mum's are.

Explain the reasons you have chosen to give up meat. Mine was a mix of not liking the taste and texture along with the whole method that the animals died not feeling right for me.

If your Mum is worried about your iron levels, spinach is a good source, lots of beans, pulses etc to replace the proteins you miss out on from meat.

Ask her for some vegetarian cookbooks as a present, and make some meals together maybe, involve her in your meal planning to show that you are not missing out on those essential vitamins and minerals that you need. Suggest you make dinner one night a week for the whole family (that's vegetarian) to show them that vegetarian meals are as good as meat based ones.

If you are feeling a little tired currently, try boosting your vit B's, you will find Marmite (if you like it) is a good source. I think Bakes beans are also good for that too, but don't quote me on it.

Good luck, its not easy to begin with, my mum was the same, concerned I was missing out. But in time my mum came round and I'm sure your mum will too.

(@lumiere)
Estimable Member

Hi hAnna,

This is a brilliant website with loads of information

x

(@louisa_1611053138)
Noble Member

Hello,
I have been a veggie for 30 years 😮 showing my age.

There is some good info already posted here.

I love marmite which is a good source of vitamin B ~ Marmite roasties are lovely.

Personally, I think veg and seeds are very much understated but then I would say that. 😉

Parents always worry, my mum did, she believed it to be a fad so let me get on with it.

Long fad :rollaugh:

There is much more for veggies now than there ever was.

Another link you may like.

Best wishes.

Topic starter
(@hannah)

Hi.:) Thank you for replying to my post. I'm glad to know my mum isn't the only one who thinks me going veggie is wrong. You telling me that you went veggie young and your mum didn't fully agree made me feel a lot better. thank you for the Information about vitamins and iron etc was very useful and I will take it all into account, aslo thanks for the web sites-I will have a good look at them.

I still have no idea about what to say to my mum asking me to eat meat sometimes. Now a fully veggie (I began just not eating chicken as we have chickens) the worst thing I can thing possible would be to eat meat again. I know she had asked me as it would make her life easier therefore If I say no I would feel like I'm saying I don't want to make her life easier and I hate to think of it like that. Mum also says that she woould understand more and help me more if I did. I think another reason is we are going to vietnam in the summer and she is worried I won't eat anything. Though I don't know what the Vietnamese are like with food?? I just need a way to say no and also make her understand 🙁 thanks again 😉 xx p.s I hope it doesn't sound to vain- I love my mum so much I just need a way of making her realise how much I want to be vegetarian 🙁 xx

Topic starter
(@hannah)

update, so I've just been down stairs and mum has told me that she is fed up with my "fussy eating" / being a vegetarian. She told me I was ungrateful and when she was my age, she would've been lucky to get the food I got (when I was non veggie) she says its not fair on the rest of the family. Basically telling me she.has had enough of me being veggie. :"( I do not know.what to do 🙁 xx

(@lumiere)
Estimable Member

Hi hAnnah,

Just wanted to say that you sound a really kind, thoughtful person.

Hope you have a great time in Vietnam! x

Topic starter
(@hannah)

[COLOR="YellowGreen"] Aww thank you 🙂 that's very kind of you 🙂 do you have any ideas regarding my last post ? 🙁 xx

meadowsweet
(@meadowsweet)
Honorable Member

Hannah,

You seem to be a very level headed mature young lady. You are a credit to your parents.

All I can suggest is patience but go with your instinct. If you wish to stay vegetarian be a vegetarian. Do you have an Aunt/Uncle who you can speak to about it who would be able to explain this isn't "fussyness" to your parents? Back you up a little?

When I have difficulty telling my mum things, I write her a letter. Maybe something to consider.

You will get there in time. Bit by bit, she is just concerned.

Good luck

(@crystal-elf)
Estimable Member

Hi hAnnah:)

I understand how you must feel. I recently went veggie and my mum still goes on about it sometimes (even though I'm older than you and haven't even lived with her for half my life)
I think maybe you should try and put yourself in your mums shoes; maybe that will give you ideas on how to get her on side. Rather than trying to justify why you want to eat veggie, maybe find ways to remove her reasons for opposing your decision.
Firstly, she is obviously worried about you getting enough nutrients and vitamins. Find out what foods you can eat to replace anything you would get from meat/chicken. That way at least she can't use that as you'll probably end up knowing more than she does about the nutritional content of what you're both eating.....but try not to put your knowledge across as an arguement, just calm her worries. Its worth noting that there are lots of veggies out there doing okay....why should you be different?
Next, she is probably rightly concerned about the hassle of having to prepare two sets of meals all the time. I think you may just have to go the extra mile here and maybe come up with some rough plan of your meals; some meals can probably be prepared beforehand without too much extra work.....maybe even lend a hand, so its not all on her. That may be half the problem as I'm guessing the rest of your family is not too bothered as they don't have to prepare anything!
If she is concerned about the money, it is actually cheaper to not eat meat/chicken, so you are saving money. I know this is a long shot, but it would be nice if you could sell this to her as you being grateful for your previous diet and now giving something back by being cheaper to feed than the rest of the family(lol)......but seriously, maybe if you start lending a hand and taking things into your own hands as much as you can, she will start to realise how serious you are and start to support you.....be persistent (but considerate).
Hope this helps and good luck.

Love
Crystal elf

(@cactuschris)
Prominent Member

Hi Hannah,
difficult isn't it.....and in some ways it does not get any easier.
however... there are things you can do to help:
Make lots of things at the weekend and freeze them in portions for use in the week.
Ensure you are eating well - lots of good veg and fruit helps.
Vitamin B12 is a particular issue - almost no veggie food contains it - consider a suppliment - and Vit B does affect energy levels.
Most of all follow what you believe, the easy way is to do what others want you to do, it is harder but more rewarding to do what you want to do.
Smile at yourself with love.

love
chris

(@lumiere)
Estimable Member

I like Rose Eliot's books (I have a couple of old ones that give lots of useful advice and easy recipes). Here's a list of her books:

x

(@lotus)

Hi Hannah, Just reading your posts on being a vegetarian. Your Mam is probably just frustrated and concerned. Frustrated that she does not know enough about vegetarian meals to prepare at mealtimes & concerned that you are not getting enough vitamins and minerals. You are probably tired because you may be lacking in some nutrients, but these can be easily gained if you eat certain foods. Tiredness can be caused from a number of reasons, stress and worry can be one, so try not to worry too much if you feel that people are giving out to you by being a vegetarian. Would you be interested in starting your own small vegetable garden? I find that suggesting this helps a lot, it gets the person interested in food, for instance like growing tomatoes from garden pots, and some herbs that can be lovely added to dishes. You can also grow sprouts & watercress from very small containers. If your Mam see's you taking an interest in something like this, it could get the whole family involved and supporting you. They are quite cheap to buy from seed shops, & I've even seen packets of seeds & starter packs in places like supermarkets such as tesco and pound shops. Another thing is to bulk up on lots of vegetables. Green leafy veg is an excellent source of iron, minerals, and also necessary B vitamins, which at your age is essential for growth and repair in your growing body. Spinach is excellent, and you can also ask your Mam to buy frozen veg in the supermarket. Nuts are very good, and are also high in calcium, which is good for strong bones, you would need to get the unsalted/natural versions. They can also be included in mealtimes. You can also eat quorn, which can be purchased frozen, in most supermarkets, and if the family are having things like spag bol, you can have quorn in your's so it looks like what everyone else is eating too. As you are vegetarian, you still need protein, and proteins are found in all kinds of meat.... which can be red meat, white meat like chicken, and FISH. Fish can be any type like tuna, cod, plaice, salmon, sardines, and the tinned variety of all these like salmon, tuna, sardines etc is great too, for filling in sandwiches, salads etc. if you would like recipies, just give me a shout. Let me know what kind of meals the rest of the family are eating so I can help you feel included & make everyone enjoy their mealtimes with a mixture of vegetarian meals also that everyone will love.

Love, light & blessings

Topic starter
(@hannah)

thank you <3

wow. i never realise i would get so many people reply, thank you very much 😉 i mean it 🙂 im so glad i found this web site 🙂
i came home from school about a week ago, and mum said so you want to know that bad news, even thought i said not really, she told me that starting from the week after that, she would cook some meat dishes and some veggie dishes a week, and I would have to eat what she cooked. I was upset and annoyed, I felt she didn’t understand and I didn’t want to talk about it with her, even though I knew I would have to some time. I had a really bad week and I was upset, I felt like she didn’t understand, I have amazing friends and you who made me smile when I needed it J I do have an antie, but I due to family issues, I haven’t seen her in years :,( but I do have other people who were more than willing to take to her though. I think we have both done our research, and when that week came, she never said anything. So I am still veggie, which is what I want. I know my mum is still not happy about it but she has learnt that I am stubborn and if I want something and I feel strongly about it then I will not give in, and you have helped me to stay that way J I have researched Vietnam and I think I should be ok. I am trying to help more now, I don’t know how long no arguments will continue, but I happy for now J so thank you soooo much to everyone even if you have just read my post and thank you even more if you replied J
I have taken in all the info and help everyone has sent J ..and cactuschris, whenever I feel upset, I remember to smile ay my self with love <3 lots of love hAnnah 🙂 xxxxxxx

(@louisa_1611053138)
Noble Member

Hi hAnnah,
Nice you dropped by again 🙂

Your mum is just worried about her little girl.

I am the only veggie in our family and I don't have a problem that my husband and daughters eating meat.

We eat dinner together each night, I just have something different.
Give your mum time to come to terms with it. 🙂

Best wishes.

Celia
(@celia)
Noble Member

Hannah - have been reading this with interest and just have a couple of suggestions for you.

One is - why not let your Mum see your posts on here and then she can see how you are trying to sort out what to do?

Secondly - maybe open up some of the sites suggested in tabs in your browser and ask your Mum to come and look through them with you and talk about what they suggest?

This is a site that you and your Mum might find helpful and answer a lot of your questions: [url]Young Veggie Homepage[/url]

As others say - well done on taking a mature attitude to this - I hope it goes well. I have been a vegetarian for nearly 30 years and still have family members who moan and witter on about it!

Take care

Celia

(@louisa_1611053138)
Noble Member

I have been a vegetarian for nearly 30 years and still have family members who moan and witter on about it!

😀 Me too, I get called all sorts from fussy to odd.

Restaurants and functions annoy me the most, zero imagination.
I either get salad, cauliflower cheese or mushroom something ~ fortunately I am very fond of them all.

It's just the predictability that annoys me.

Share: