Clear all

the five pungent spices....

32 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

I have been studying more and more about the buddhists diet and wondered if I might ask a few questions....

Although I understand the five moral precepts and am trying to understand the five contemplations while eating....

I am finding it hard to understand the reasons for NOT eating these spices which include onions, garlic and leeks

Just wondered if anyone could give me any personal accounts of refraining from eating these spices....

Do you feel calmer now you have stopped these foodstuffs

What I would also like to know is;

Do they increase ones sexual desires when cooked......

Do they increase ones anger when eaten raw

Has anyone had experiences relating to ghosts or spirits after eating these foods.....

Here's a link that explains the beliefs a little more;

Any info would be appreciated....

31 Replies
Conspiritualist
(@conspiritualist)
Famed Member

I'd look around Oaky mate, that info look pretty sus to me, and seems to have a lot of misinformation and some untruths from the quick scan I gave it...and some stuff (if it's supposed to be a general overview and not a particular sect) is just patently 'Pete Tong' mate!

"His blood and flesh will be rejected by the gods..." - Oh purrleeesse! :rollaugh:

Topic starter
(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

I'd look around Oaky mate, that info look pretty sus to me, and seems to have a lot of misinformation and some untruths from the quick scan I gave it...and some stuff (if it's supposed to be a general overview and not a particular sect) is just patently 'Pete Tong' mate!

"His blood and flesh will be rejected by the gods..." - Oh purrleeesse! :rollaugh:

Well....I did wonder !!....:)

But I like to give all info the benifit of the doubt...

Lotusflower
(@lotusflower)
Famed Member

Well seeing as most of Thailand (for instance) is Buddhist and they live on a diet of garlic and onions etc, I would say that knowledge could be a tad awkward for them.:eek:

(@barafundle)
Noble Member

I don't know about Buddhists, but I know followers of the Gaudiya Vaishnava philosophy of Hinduism avoid these things.

[url]Onions and Garlic in relation to Vaishnavism[/url]

Onions and garlic are botanical members of the alliaceous family (alliums) along with leeks, chives and shallots.

According to Ayurveda, India's classic medical science, foods are grouped into three categories - sattvic, rajasic and tamasic - foods in the modes of goodness, passion and ignorance. Onions and garlic, and the other alliaceous plants are classified as rajasic and tamasic, which means that they increase passion and ignorance.

Those that subscribe to pure brahmana-style cooking like to only cook with foods from the sattvic category. These foods include fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs, dairy products, grains and legumes, and so on.

(@earthbabe)
Reputable Member

I wonder if the writer has confused Buddhism and Bahai (?sp). I have only ever known one person who followed this latter faith and they rejected onions, garlic etc mainly if I remember rightly because they made the breath pungent and therefore possibly repugnant to others.

I'm sure someone will know more about this.

(@barafundle)
Noble Member

I just found this on the link I posted...

Onions have, almost since prehistoric time, been attributed aphrodisiacal properties.

They are mentioned in many classic Hindu texts on the art of making love, they were the most used aphrodisiac in ancient Greece

During Pharaonic times celibating Egyptian priests were prohibited to eat onions because of the potential effects.

Later on, in France, newlyweds were served onion soup on the morning after their wedding night to restore their libido.

(@barafundle)
Noble Member

Restaurants that are run by the Hare Krishna movement don't use garlic, onions or mushrooms.

Topic starter
(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

Restaurants that are run by the Hare Krishna movement don't use garlic, onions or mushrooms.

Thanks for the link Barafundle.......It is all starting to become much clearer now.

I find it amazing that the two paths are so closely linked....almost intertwined
and yet they are both so different....

namaste

Conspiritualist
(@conspiritualist)
Famed Member

I find it amazing that the two paths are so closely linked....almost intertwined
and yet they are both so different.... namaste

Do you really think they're so different Oaky?
Buddha (Gautama) was born a Hindu (yeah I know Santana Oye Como Va Dharma) in north India, and so they share many ideas, beliefs, practices, traditions and even rituals.... I suppose I've always only looked at the similarities, - that'd explain it 😉

Topic starter
(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

Do you really think they're so different Oaky?
Buddha (Gautama) was born a Hindu (yeah I know Santana Oye Como Va Dharma) in north India, and so they share many ideas, beliefs, practices, traditions and even rituals.... I suppose I've always only looked at the similarities, - that'd explain it 😉

I suppose the main difference is the concept of God.....and the Devas.

As much as I like the Idea of Buddhism and it's Ideals......To spend a whole lifetimes investing in a Karmic bank account...to be withdrawn in the next lifetimes seems a little bizarre.I just can't ever imagine myself attaining enlightenment in this lifetime......:dft005:

(@barafundle)
Noble Member

To spend a whole lifetimes investing in a Karmic bank account...to be withdrawn in the next lifetimes seems a little bizarre.

Why is it withdrawn next time? If we're on a spiritual path we're adding to it all the time.

I know we do have to pay some debts off now and again. 😮

Topic starter
(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

Why is it withdrawn next time? If we're on a spiritual path we're adding to it all the time.

I know we do have to pay some debts off now and again. 😮

Although we try to lead a spiritual and moral life. Life is still a bit of a gamble, Like any gambling, the odds are generally stacked against the punter.

Some yogi's meditate for years.Or use exercise to keep them supple.I would like to look like this Yogi

Instead I look like this one.....

(@barafundle)
Noble Member

I would like to look like this Yogi

Then keep away from the pickinick baskets. Especially if there are onions in them.

(@fleur)
Illustrious Member

Yogi Bear is smarter than the average bear,
Yogi Bear is always in the ranger's hair.
At a picnic table you will find him there
Stuffing down more goodies than the average bear.

He will sleep till noon but before it's dark,
He'll have every picnic basket that's in Jellystone Park.

Yogi has it better than a millionaire
That's because he's smarter than the average bear.

cannot help with your query Oakey, but just wanna say
What's the matter wich you boo boo...:p,

Topic starter
(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for your replies.

I suppose history has a way of revealing what our ancestors thought might be important to us...in storys and in legends that today we might dismiss as 'Old Wives Tales '......but I'm a sucker for a good story.....:)

Conspiritualist
(@conspiritualist)
Famed Member

I suppose the main difference is the concept of God.....

Interestingly, (from what I understand) Buddha neither fully confirmed nor totally denied the existence of ‘God’…
He just kinda advocated ignoring him bruv, as effectively not important to us in our current form, and to focus more [importantly] on our own struggle to be ‘good’ (for want of a better term) 😉

(@barafundle)
Noble Member

I suppose the main difference is the concept of God.....and the Devas.

Within Hinduism there isn't one specific concept of God. For Hindus the Divine takes many forms and names.

Thinking of God with form gives the devotee a way of relating to what would otherwise be incomprehensible, but Hinduism also allows for the worship of the Divine in a formless state.

(@barafundle)
Noble Member

It's worth adding I think that the Buddha is revered in several Hindu scriptures. In a number of Hindu traditions (one being the Vaishnava), the Buddha is considered to be one of the incarnations of Lord Vishnu.

Elensdottir
(@elensdottir)
Estimable Member

Interestingly, (from what I understand) Buddha neither fully confirmed nor totally denied the existence of ‘God’…

When asked by a disciple whether or not there is a god, it is said that "the Buddha remained silent". The Buddha often seems to have remained silent when faced with an awkward question!

Topic starter
(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

When asked by a disciple whether or not there is a god, it is said that "the Buddha remained silent". The Buddha often seems to have remained silent when faced with an awkward question!

So does God......

Cirrus
(@cirrus)
Noble Member

Is that not true spiritual intelligence?

Because ultimately is it not up to us to find our own answers in order to progress?

RxXx

Conspiritualist
(@conspiritualist)
Famed Member

Is that not true spiritual intelligence?

Because ultimately is it not up to us to find our own answers in order to progress?

Doh! ... But you've just told us now... I wanted to find that on my own 🙁

Cirrus
(@cirrus)
Noble Member

Doh! ... But you've just told us now... I wanted to find that on my own 🙁

ROFL!

Hi Rog,

And there was me thinking you would want a bit more of a spiritual tango. Oh well, me heel-flicks can wait till another time.:015:

RxXx

Venetian
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

Oakapple wrote on balancing karma and the Buddhist view of this.

Oakey didn't, I think, get back to you on this, but I guess he means that Buddhism doesn't believe in reincarnation in the same way that Hindus and most New Age people do. Something returns in Buddhism, and it's worth balancing karma for that something, but it's not "us" that reincarnates, as most Buddhists see it. However I've wondered about the semantics in that, because in a sense it indeed isn't "us" as our present human personality. It's a new life, with different DNA, and no memory of former existences. Seems to me that Buddhism has just overdone the "we don't reincarnate" concept.

The same re God, and I'm glad that subject was raised. Buddhists tell me they don't believe in God, but again IMHO they misunderstand the Buddha's silence.

Incidentally, and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this - it's just out of interest - but I've known New Age movements that believe onions and mushrooms are spiritually bad for you. Onions because "they repel angels", and mushrooms because they "put holes in your aura".

V

(@binah)
Famed Member

My only experience of eating a sattvic diet has been connected with my spiritual work and I did feel calmer - my energy also felt finer and lighter and I was able to access a deeper level of meditation whilst practicing Qaballah. This was not down to diet alone as I also remained celibate during this time.

Binah
x

Topic starter
(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

My only experience of eating a sattvic diet has been connected with my spiritual work and I did feel calmer - my energy also felt finer and lighter and I was able to access a deeper level of meditation whilst practicing Qaballah. This was not down to diet alone as I also remained celibate during this time.

Binah
x

Thanks Binah......

I think this is what I am trying to understand. Whether the connection to the Divine energies are stronger and appear more connected when the spices are not included into ones diet, thus making it easier to focus on meditation and Yogic practices....

This brings into the conversation free will and desire....

If we exclude herbs and vegetables that enhance our desire and emotions from our diet..surely that is only beneficialy for budding Monks and Nuns?.
.....not family members

Venetian
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

This brings into the conversation free will and desire....

If we exclude herbs and vegetables that enhance our desire and emotions from our diet..surely that is only beneficialy for budding Monks and Nuns?.
.....not family members

Just to make the point that while I do realise that in various paths (Gandhi did it too, and some yogis), certain spices etc. are excluded on the understanding that they enhance sexual desire, IMHO desire on the whole, in the broad sense of the word, is absolutely not missing from the lives of spiritual people, including monks and nuns. I had a chat about this recently, and we were saying how there's a false belief that spirituality requires less desires, less 'wanting'. I'd say it's particularly a belief within, say, some Hinduism: "kill out desire". It's the whole idea that being a monk or nun, say, is a "dry" kind of life, and drab.

Actually the average person is probably more lacking in desire than deeply spiritual people, who have deep and abiding - even burning - desires, but for things such as union with God, self-betterment, serving humanity, love for one's teacher.

V

Topic starter
(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

Just to make the point that while I do realise that in various paths (Gandhi did it too, and some yogis), certain spices etc. are excluded on the understanding that they enhance sexual desire, IMHO desire on the whole, in the broad sense of the word, is absolutely not missing from the lives of spiritual people, including monks and nuns. I had a chat about this recently, and we were saying how there's a false belief that spirituality requires less desires, less 'wanting'. I'd say it's particularly a belief within, say, some Hinduism: "kill out desire". It's the whole idea that being a monk or nun, say, is a "dry" kind of life, and drab.

Actually the average person is probably more lacking in desire than deeply spiritual people, who have deep and abiding - even burning - desires, but for things such as union with God, self-betterment, serving humanity, love for one's teacher.

V

Thanks V...

I suppose it's down to how mature each of us are on our spiritual journey. It's sometimes quite shocking to find out that what we thought was our own Ideas.....are the opinions wishes and desires of other influences.

I've read about the Buddhists who sit with a begging bowl and only eat what is given to them by the good will of others...and are expected to eat what is placed within their bowl.....whether it is meat or vegetables.

Then there are the Vegetarian Buddhists who revere all sentient beings and not only refrain from eating meat and dairy products, but even sweep a pathway before them...incase they accidently step on insects.

Where are the boundaries of our will and when should we defend our own boundaries ?.

(@barafundle)
Noble Member

deeply spiritual people have deep and abiding desires for union with God

The rule could be 'Union good, onion bad'.

Page 1 / 2
Share: