Word Search

22 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

Hi
I'm trying to find a word that describes our relationship to a true situation. We all accept 2+2=4 but the word accept doesn't mean that what we have accepted is true.
The word that I am looking for means that whatever we have accepted we know to be true and has been unconditionally accepted into our understanding, so that we live it as part of us..
I don't mean faith because faith can be misplaced.
Anybody any thoughts?

21 Replies
amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

It may take more than one word, e.g. we accept with integrity, or we authentically and unconditionally accept?

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

surrender

(@jnani)
Noble Member

Wha

Hi
I'm trying to find a word that describes our relationship to a true situation. We all accept 2+2=4 but the word accept doesn't mean that what we have accepted is true.
The word that I am looking for means that whatever we have accepted we know to be true and has been unconditionally accepted into our understanding, so that we live it as part of us..
I don't mean faith because faith can be misplaced.
Anybody any thoughts?

If it is truth and has settled in your consciousness, it is Imbibed.
And if it is just your personal truth then it is a perspective

Both are lived as though they are part of us

Topic starter
(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

Wha

If it is truth and has settled in your consciousness, it is Imbibed.
And if it is just your personal truth then it is a perspective

Both are lived as though they are part of us

Imbibe seems to me to mean "drink in " absorb. But we can absorb rubbish. I'm looking for a word that means like "written in stone" in that it is part of your understanding that it can't be wrong or refuted.
Same as 2+2=4. We can rub it out on the blackboard, burn the books with it in, but we can never change the truth of it or its existence.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

indisputable? irrefutable?

(@jnani)
Noble Member

Imbibe seems to me to mean "drink in " absorb. But we can absorb rubbish. I'm looking for a word that means like "written in stone" in that it is part of your understanding that it can't be wrong or refuted.
Same as 2+2=4. We can rub it out on the blackboard, burn the books with it in, but we can never change the truth of it or its existence.

crystallized? Is it something that you experienced recently?
Attained?
Whatever word it is that you are looking for....it has been fun trying to come up with 'your' word

Ray of Light
(@ray-of-light)
Trusted Member

Acknowledgement.

Topic starter
(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

Acknowledgement.

Do we acknowledge our "hands" or "feet". It doesn't sound quite right. There must be a word that means that whatever we are describing is to us part of us, not something that is or can be separated from us, so that when we think of it, to us it is an extension of ourselves.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Do we acknowledge our "hands" or "feet". It doesn't sound quite right. There must be a word that means that whatever we are describing is to us part of us, not something that is or can be separated from us, so that when we think of it, to us it is an extension of ourselves.

Why does everything you want to be described have to be contained in one word anyway? It sounds to me that, to accurately depict what you want, you may well need 2 - 3 words!

Topic starter
(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

It may be me but I am finding that the English language seems geared to materialism. If one wants to describe a spiritual understanding there are very few words that can be adequately applied. We have to concoct words to try and get a meaning across. Usually the meaning then gets lost in the translation.

Topic starter
(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

Why does everything you want to be described have to be contained in one word anyway? It sounds to me that, to accurately depict what you want, you may well need 2 - 3 words!

Because different people tend to put a different slant on words. One person describes something one way and another person describes it differently so the true intended meaning can get missed.

If there was no word for red, think of all the variations we would get trying to describe the colour of blood.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Because different people tend to put a different slant on words. One person describes something one way and another person describes it differently so the true intended meaning can get missed.

If there was no word for red, think of all the variations we would get trying to describe the colour of blood.

Yes but red is a phenomenon - something that can be seen that we agree on.

What you are asking of a descriptive word is much more embracing, involving a relationship to a situation AND, furthermore, that "whatever we have accepted we know to be true and has been unconditionally accepted into our understanding, so that we live it as part of us"
You want all that contained in a word!? Good luck with that - I doubt that such a word can accurately cover it all. As mentioned, realistically a phrase would be able to do justice to such a description but it's your call....(this may be a VERY long thread!)

Topic starter
(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

Yes but red is a phenomenon - something that can be seen that we agree on.

What you are asking of a descriptive word is much more embracing, involving a relationship to a situation AND, furthermore, that "whatever we have accepted we know to be true and has been unconditionally accepted into our understanding, so that we live it as part of us"
You want all that contained in a word!? Good luck with that - I doubt that such a word can accurately cover it all. As mentioned, realistically a phrase would be able to do justice to such a description but it's your call....(this may be a VERY long thread!)

I've almost confused myself here, because without knowing the word it is almost impossible to describe it.

Two examples that spring to mind are Chi, and Christ. (I'm taking poetic licence here)
In the Eastern doctrines there is an energy field that pertains to life itself. They don't need to describe it in so many words they just call it chi and that is understood to mean all that can describe it.
Christ to some just means all that pertains to God. You could say the Christ within and they know what that means. It is also possible that these two words have the core same meaning.
The word that I am looking for is similar to chi. Maybe I should just settle for that. The problem is if you mention chi to a westerner they just blank up and change the subject.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I've almost confused myself here, because without knowing the word it is almost impossible to describe it.

Two examples that spring to mind are Chi, and Christ. (I'm taking poetic licence here)
In the Eastern doctrines there is an energy field that pertains to life itself. They don't need to describe it in so many words they just call it chi and that is understood to mean all that can describe it.
Christ to some just means all that pertains to God. You could say the Christ within and they know what that means. It is also possible that these two words have the core same meaning.
The word that I am looking for is similar to chi. Maybe I should just settle for that. The problem is if you mention chi to a westerner they just blank up and change the subject.

Ah so you know there IS a word for what you want but can't recall it then?

Bear in mind that, whatever the word is, people may generally agree on a broad meaning of a word but tend to have differing associations/addons!

Topic starter
(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

Ah so you know there IS a word for what you want but can't recall it then?

Bear in mind that, whatever the word is, people may generally agree on a broad meaning of a word but tend to have differing associations/addons!

To be honest it is how I'm trying to understand "mental" healing. Realistically I think that mental healing won't work unless one has the same acceptance of our relationship to divine law as we have to mathematics. We unconditionally conform, accept, and comply to 2+2=4 as being true, and to heal mentally I believe that we have to have that same relationship with our Creator. That is the descriptive word that I'm looking for.

(@paul-crick_1611052763)
Famed Member

Whilst acceptance is the key to mental healing, it is more a case of acceptance of self rather than acceptance to something other than self, granted everything is one, but within the oneness we need to be whole and complete within self, to perceive our self as one within everything. 😉

Energylz
(@energylz)

"Knowledge"

Knowledge is to know something based on irrefutable proof.
If it isn't knowledge then it's belief.

Charis
(@charis)
Reputable Member

Science, maybe?

I know it's a term that nowadays is thought of as belonging to certain established disciplines (some of them quite limited and materialistic in their worldview), but the root of the word is simply "knowledge" — and it originally had a much wider application than we tend to think of today. This is the definition from an early dictionary, Webster's of 1828:

[INDENT]SCI'ENCE, noun [Latin scientia, from scio, to know.]

1. In a general sense, knowledge, or certain knowledge; the comprehension or understanding of truth or facts by the mind. The science of God must be perfect.

2. In philosophy, a collection of the general principles or leading truths relating to any subject. Pure science as the mathematics, is built on self-evident truths; but the term science is also applied to other subjects founded on generally acknowledged truths, as metaphysics; or on experiment and observation, as chimistry and natural philosophy; or even to an assemblage of the general principles of an art, as the science of agriculture; the science of navigation.[/INDENT]

Scomm, I think you might be familiar with the writings of Mary Baker Eddy, who discovered and founded a system of spiritual healing based on unchanging divine laws, which she always referred to as "Science". This is from her primary work, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:

[INDENT]Science relates to Mind, not matter. It rests on fixed Principle and not upon the judgment of false sensation. The addition of two sums in mathematics must always bring the same result. So is it with logic. If both the major and the minor propositions of a syllogism are correct, the conclusion, if properly drawn, cannot be false. So in Christian Science there are no discords nor contradictions, because its logic is as harmonious as the reasoning of an accurately stated syllogism or of a properly computed sum in arithmetic. Truth is ever truthful, and can tolerate no error in premise or conclusion. (p. 128)[/INDENT]

"Science", in this case, I would say is definitely referring to something that "we know to be true and has been unconditionally accepted into our understanding, so that we live it as part of us", in your words. 😉

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Gnosis????

Topic starter
(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

Science, maybe?
"Science", in this case, I would say is definitely referring to something that "we know to be true and has been unconditionally accepted into our understanding, so that we live it as part of us", in your words. 😉

Hi Charis
This would be true for a Christian Scientist. Although I have "read up" on the Science I have yet to develop the confidence to throw myself fully in to it.
I'm not sure if there is a single word to describe what I'm trying to say. If my memory serves me right even Mrs Eddy said that there needs to be a new language to describe Spirituality.
Western languages seems to be based on materiality and trying to describe spiritual concepts using materialistic expressions sort of does not quite get the picture across.
This may be why so many people just switch off when the subject is raised. Its like we are talking in a different language.

Topic starter
(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

Gnosis????

Gnosis' certainly does mean "revealed knowledge" but would you use it to describe how we interact with the idea that 2+2=4.
The idea that 2+2=4 is to mortals absolute, indestructible, a part of us that cannot be detached. Is there one word that describes this sort of relationship, maybe not.

Share: