Urine retention

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@freedom3)
Trusted Member

Hi there,

I'm looking for some support for my mother. She's 79 and was admitted into hospital in agony 2 weeks ago with urine retention and has been on a catheter ever since. She was booked to have a 'dilation' of the urethra, but her sodium levels have dropped due to vomiting, so it has been postponed several times. She's had dilation before, yet it has never been preceded by this kind of pain and illness.

She had complained for the last 2 years of feeling nauseous and had lost her appetite, (ignored by doctors) now she won't eat at all and is losing weight. Her bowel function has stopped too and the doctors seem to think there maybe other factors effecting urination. However the doctors only seem concerned with the urinary operation and have referred her to outpatients for a barium X-ray on the bowels which will take time. This means they will send her home with symptoms.

She keeps mentioning a pain and internal itching in her left side. It's all a mystery and the doctors seem very blinkered.

Mum has been on several heart pills for years i.e. warfarin, blood pressure, beta blockers etc. Otherwise she is usually fairly active so it is a shock to see her become bedridden so quickly.

I realise this is a complicated request, but if anyone has any ideas or recognises anything, please let me know. The family are getting very angry and even when questioning the doctors, we feel stonewalled.

Thanks.

7 Replies
(@tigerbee)
Illustrious Member

RE: Urine retention

Hi
No big ideas from me but sending lots of love n light to you all at this time and prayers for a speedy recovery.
Hugs
T
x

(@iceni)
Prominent Member

Hi Freedom

I am so sorry for your poor Mum and yourselves in the family. What a worry for you.
I am in a somewhat similar position with my Dad.

Unfortunately retention of urine builds up toxins in the body and can make you feel really ill very quickly, although recovery may take much longer.

The problems with the NHS is that it is such a megalith that the processes seem to take for ever. They say a patient needs an xray and if you are lucky they may get one a week later etc, even when in-patients.

You do need to be fairly assertive and you can insist that you see the consultant and not a junior doc.

When people approach their eighties it is very common for them to have reduced appetites and to lose weight. Beta blockers can make the bowel suggish, in fact a lot of her problem could be due to chronic constipation, pain etc. Oranges and pears are really good for this. Perhaps she isn't eating enough fibre in her reduced diet.

Is your Mum passing any bowel motions, if not I would get on to her GP immediately if she is back home or make a fuss on the ward if she is in hospital. This is very common when in-patients and she may need to have fibogel and senna to stimulate her bowel, perhaps even an enema. Very unpleasant I know, but better out than in. (happened to dad all the time until properly treated). Also in the hospital where Dad is some wards are appalling for trying to get brought bed pans, commodes etc. No wonder the poor patients suffer constipation.

Anyway

I wish her and you well, keep on the case, you have to be a bit of a pest these days to get results and develop a hard skin when the nurses get huffy with you. I know they are really short staffed a lot of the time but some wards are brilliant while others very bad, depends on the sister in charge a lot of the time in our experience. They just dont seem to check on the patients properly now, ie urine and bowel movements and make sure they are comfortable, and as to personal hygiene for the disabled elderly patients and the actual ward, leave much to be desired.

lol

Jan

[sm=grouphug.gif]

My Dad is also on a permanent urinary catheter now, although ok when he went in, through having to hold on too long!!!

Andre7
(@andre7)
Estimable Member

I used to work as an occupational therapist in a hospital ward for elderly people . One of the main reason for admission was dehydration. Older people often simply do not drink enough water. This fact is very often responsible for urinary problems and constipation. Catheter can be a short term solution if there is an actual physical obstruction, but on the long term it can increase the risk of a urinary infection.

If your mum is discharged, I would suggest an increase of fluid intake - in my experience though older people can be very resistant to this idea. The fear is that they may not get to the toilet in time.

I also found that reflexology can be helpful.

A

Topic starter
(@freedom3)
Trusted Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your support, it's great. I don't feel so helpless armed with your knowledge. To elaborate a bit on Mum's condition. You're right about drinking and I always encouraged her to drink. She seemed OK with this as she only has one kidney from way back and is aware of the need for liquid. Although I'm not sure how much she truly drinks.

Her dilation operation has been delayed for the last 2 weeks, first of all because of emergencies, now her sodium levels have dropped and she's on limited liquids and a saline drip (sounds like they overdid the liquid). I believe that's more to do with the heart pills she's on than liquid intake. She's had enemas and various other treatments for constipation whilst on the ward, hopefully the X-ray will enlighten us.

I feel that something has been building for at least 2 years because she was constantly taking lactulose and always feeling nauseous and dizzy with muscle cramps and spasms. The GP just said she probably had a trapped nerve in her arm, where it seemed worse. Useless!! The nurse said that low sodium levels can do this and can manifest over a long period of time. So they're monitoring that.

I want to push for the X-ray to be done whilst she's in hospital rather than them release her to out patients. They say it can be done within a week at out patients, I don't believe that. I think they're passing the buck because in all the time she's sat on the ward it could have been over and done with.

Well, I'm back there tomorrow, to shout a bit louder 😉 Will let you know what happens. Thanks again for all your support.

Speak later

(@astra)
Reputable Member

Hi Freedom
I sorry to hear your mum's not so well.
Just another thought...you mentioned your mum has only one kidney, so I trust her doctors have performed all the blood tests for renal function?
only some of the symptoms you mention can be connected to poor kidney function.

much love to you both
astra

Topic starter
(@freedom3)
Trusted Member

Hi there,

Just to let you all know that Mum came out of hospital last week after 6 weeks!! The consultant wants her to keep a permanent catheter, which we will question on her next appointment, but I feel the doctors will insist as she's had problems for many years.

I campaigned on every visit for the doctors to do something about Mum's symptoms of sickness, nausea and loss of appetite (she lost 1 1/2 stones) in the end they agreed to call the physician in, who analysed her heart drugs. As a result she was taken off blood pressure pills and beta blockers. It turns out that the blood pressure pills have a diuretic action and these had leached sodium from her and the levels were so low it was dangerous to operate. Within 3 days of coming off these pills, she began getting her appetite back and even ordered food [sm=1syellow1.gif]

So it seems there was double trouble going on. Two unrelated problems, yet the heart pills effecting the kidney/bladder.

We're angry with the GP who had ignored Mum's symptoms for 2 years. Doctors dish out pills like sweets and don't even consider contraindications or side effects. It took persistent pushing to get them to listen, even in the hospital.

And as a result of the GP ignoring the seriousness of the final symptoms, her bladder nearly ruptured and he'd never even examined her, just assumed it was a kidney infection and gave her more, yes, more pills. In the end she was rushed to hospital by ambulance.

Hopefully, all will be well now, even with a permanent catheter. So thanks for your support.

Take care all,
Freedom 3

(@iceni)
Prominent Member

Hi Debby

I'm really pleased you gave us an update and that your Mum is much better now.

It is really frustrating that GP's dont always look at the holistic health and picture of a patient.

You really need to be so proactive in your own healthcare these days and lucky for your Mum that you were battling for her.

We have this all the time with my Dad, who has been in hospital for 5 months now, and due to his poor mental condition needs us to look afeter him even in hospital. My mum is there with hime every day and when she goes in in the afternoon his glass is empty and dry and water jug full so obviously had nothing to drink all day. apart from a small cup of tea at breakfast.

I feel really sorry for patients with no relatives or friends.

The main problem is that their just aren't enough nurses and care staff. I know it is a hard job but if they were paid more, particularly the carers (auxilary nurse was a much better title), they might get enough. The agency staff are often actually dangerous as they give the wrong meds and tried to get my Dad out of bed even though on traction at the time!!!.

We still dont know how he broke his femur (after hip replacement) in there!!

Any way, hope your mum stays well

Jan XX

Share: