Clear all

E number allergy?

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@hillgate)
Eminent Member

For some reason when I eat Nestle Mint Aero I get a headache. Now, I get headaches from drinking fresh orange juice and think it could be down to the sugar hit, but also get headaches from eating gummy sweets too, unless I drink a fair bit of water after.

I think it's the chemicals, where can I test for allergies in chocolate/sweets, E numbers etc...

14 Replies
Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

For some reason when I eat Nestle Mint Aero I get a headache. Now, I get headaches from drinking fresh orange juice and think it could be down to the sugar hit, but also get headaches from eating gummy sweets too, unless I drink a fair bit of water after.

I think it's the chemicals, where can I test for allergies in chocolate/sweets, E numbers etc...

Being pedantic I doubt if you are allergic, whihc is a very specific reaction, but may be intolerant

Dehydration can cause headaches, so maybe all you need to do is increase your water intake?

Health food shops may be able to help with testing - but I am sure Caroline will have some better suggestions 🙂

The thing is if you ARE intolerant of anything - the advice wil almost certainly be to cut the problem food out at least in the short term.

I guess it depends what you want. If its just to get rid of the headaches then I suspect you already know what to cut out. Testing may widen the foods you are advised to avoid. But avoiding the sorts of things you have cited is probably a good idea for a number of reasons regardless of any allergy or intolerance

(@roseab)

try BSFF or EFT or NAET

You can try BSFF or EFT for anything including allergies.
Lots of us use the term allergies for any sensitivity, intolerance, or allergy.
If you can afford it, try to find a NAET practitioner. Their specialty is acupressure to get rid of "allergies" (including intolerances and sensitivities). Also there might be chiropractor or similar that does the same thing but not called NAET. They use muscle testing to find out what you are allergic to.

(@roseab)

try BSFF or EFT or NAET

Try to find a NAET practitioner. Their specialty is getting rid of allergies, intolerances and sensitivities. Some of us just call them all allergies.
They use muscle testing to identify then acupressure to clear it. You might also find a chiropractor or similar that does the same without calling it NAET.

Topic starter
(@hillgate)
Eminent Member

I find I often get a runny nose with milk, when eating it with cereals, I don't like it on its own. Also with nuts I might have a slight intolerance to them and my gums can hurt when eat walnuts, not sure why?

Sweets can go strait to my head, so maybe I do have an intolerance? Do any of these tests tell you what E numbers you are directly "allergic" to?

Energylz
(@energylz)

Typically an allergy or intolerance test is done using a sample of blood and exposing it to the different allergens, and the way it reacts to those allergens determines whether you are allergic, intolerant or tolerent of those things. There are other tests you can get, though not so scientific and open to interpretation and belief in some cases.

The things that many don't realise (or aren't told) are that a) just because your blood reacts in a certain way to some substance doesn't necessarily mean that you will experience physical symptoms or illness from it. Our body comes into contact with many things every day that cause some level of reaction, but typically our body reacts to protect the body and deal with the substance safely and without issue. and b) just because your blood reacts in a certain way to some substance now, doesn't mean it will always react that way to the same substance forever more; intolerences etc. can come and go, but are believed to be more likely caused when people have prolonged exposure to the same substances; and that's why the 'diet' thing of having a "varied diet" is considered good for your health because you're not constantly exposed to the same things all the time.

E numbers are often misunderstood. We have to remember that many natural substances are also given an E number, and just because a manufacturer lists something as an E number on it's ingredients doesn't necessarily mean that it's a man made chemical, for example, some colourings in foods can be labelled as E numbers, when they are actually natural plant colours. Of course there are some terrible man made E numbers out there that are used but have bad reputations, and for good reason too. I can certainly recommend the following book as a good reference for E numbers:

All Love and Reiki Hugs

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Typically an allergy or intolerance test is done using a sample of blood and exposing it to the different allergens, and the way it reacts to those allergens determines whether you are allergic, intolerant or tolerent of those things. There are other tests you can get, though not so scientific and open to interpretation and belief in some cases.

The things that many don't realise (or aren't told) are that a) just because your blood reacts in a certain way to some substance doesn't necessarily mean that you will experience physical symptoms or illness from it.

But that is NEVER displayed alongside the adverts for testing services. It is onereason why I take issues of 'food allergy' and 'food intolerance' with a very large pinch of salt.

People may well feel better for cutting something out of their diet - for reasons that are NOTHING to do with any so called 'intolerance'

Topic starter
(@hillgate)
Eminent Member

So you're saying that it's a useless test then?

Energylz
(@energylz)

No, what we're saying is that the blood test is a good way to find out about intolerences, but it's not perfect. It may result in giving you a list of, let's say, 20 things that your blood reacts to, and then you have to do some investigation of your own to determine which of those things are the ones that relate to your symptoms. All too often people have the test done and then think they just have to cut out ALL the things that are mentioned as reactive, and find it seriously hard work to cut out so much stuff from their diets etc. which would often make them more ill because they aren't knowledgeable enough to ensure they are still getting a balanced diet and the correct nutrition etc.

A better way would be to eliminate smaller groups of things that are reported by the test, and see if the symptoms improve, and when they have improved, then try and reintroduce individual things to see which ones cause the reaction/symptoms again, to narrow it down.

If a person got the results and really wanted to do a full elimination diet, then that is something that should be done in consultation with a qualified nutritionalist, who can guide them through the correct process, as it's certainly something that is not easy to do and must be monitored closely to ensure the person is eating sufficiently.

Sure, go and get a test done, but don't just react to the results by cutting everyting out all in one go, as you'll probably end up cutting out things that are not a real problem.

All Love and Reiki Hugs

meadowsweet
(@meadowsweet)
Honorable Member

From my perspective, I have some intolerances and the best way to identify them is through a very time-consuming restricted diet, where you have very basic foods for 4 weeks and then add in one ingredient, if you are intolerant you will have a reaction (in my case headache/migraine/hangover feeling), then keep adding one ingredient at a time keeping a food diary. The basic diet should contain a balance of protein and carbs so that you are getting the basics to sustain your health.

Once you have a list of foods you feel you are intolerant to, keep them out of your diet for 6months and then try introducing them in small amounts again and monitor what happens.

It is best to seek out the help of a dietician to support you and make sure you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. But keep your diet simple and homemade you will eliminate a lot of the yucky stuff put into prepared foods. Also note not all E numbers are chemicals, some are just names for natural ingredients. I'm sure there is a website out there which tells you what E number is what.

I wouldn't waste your money on an allergy test, I don't think they are very accurate.

Topic starter
(@hillgate)
Eminent Member

Oh my God I'm not doing all of that I think I'd rather be dead. I can eat anything, but sometimes I get a headache from Mint Aero, I think I'll leave it at that.

Thanks.

CarolineN
(@carolinen)
Famed Member

Oh my God I'm not doing all of that I think I'd rather be dead. I can eat anything, but sometimes I get a headache from Mint Aero, I think I'll leave it at that.

Thanks.

I wrote you a lovely long answer and it got dleted when I tried to post it.

I think the simple answer is ti avoid mint aero and anything else you are aware causes health problems. Sweets are notorious for having additives (colourings and flavourings) so why not [url]make your own[/url]? Fun and yummy - and at least you know what's in them! Beware though too much sugar is NOT beneficial to you though

Topic starter
(@hillgate)
Eminent Member

I do cook a lot but it seems when it comes to dessert I often buy from the shop shelf, however tonight I am backing this:

[url]BBC - Food - Recipes : Apple and thyme crumble with thyme custard[/url]

Shame about your answer, you have to be careful when posting because sometimes you are not logged in and when you click back the text you entered will be lost, a good trick around that is to copy (Ctrl+C) the whole body of text before submitting it, then if you lose it you can paste it again, or better yet, draft it in an external text file.

I think I'll avoid Min Aero, even though I've developed a taste for it, but it's also about managing the problem, I know the symptoms and how to handle it. However I wanted to know about intolerances and testing, I will look into this further.

Energylz
(@energylz)

Well, York Test is one of the popular and well known intolerance tests, and they provide a little after test support from dieticians/nutritionalists too (not enough in my opinion, but it's a start).

All Love and Reiki Hugs

Topic starter
(@hillgate)
Eminent Member

The custard came a little lumpy because I let it get too high on the heat, but I sieved it. As for the crumble, the crumble itself wasn't tall enough, but very fluffy and not quite as tough as usual, which was a nice surprise, but the apple was cooked just slightly too much, as I was looking to get more colour into the crumble.

But it was nice.

Share: