Clear all

having a hip replacement

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@lindsey-shaw)

hi

I am having a left hip replacement at the end of june approx. if it doesn't get postponed again. I am really scared of having a general anathestic and not waking up. I have had several GA before but this time I am a bit overweight they haven't told me to lose weight. All my tests at my first pre op were fine, I think I will have to go for another one because my first pre op was 23rd January 2018 so it has run out.

any reassurance would be appreciated

3 Replies
Energylz
(@energylz)

Hi Lindsey,

Well, I think if you've had pre-op and the indications are that everything is fine, then there's no real reason to think it won't be. Having a general anaesthetic isn't uncommon and, as you say, you've had them before, so I'm sure you'll be fine.
If you're concerned about your weight, then there's no reason you can't start doing something about it now; even if you just take some control for yourself and lose a little, it's a positive start, and you can look forward to doing more after the op, even if it's just focusing on eating healthier foods.

Keep us posted how you get on.

(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

Were you assessed by the anaesthetist at the pre-op? I see clients who have had hip/knee replacement surgery, and it's been done with spinal anaesthetic. I had my knee replaced last August - with a spinal - and the 6 other people having knees/hips done the same day, also had spinal. Two of the ladies with hip replacements went home that evening!!! I had to wait 5 days to get out - told by the consultant that knees are more complicated. I made the most of the rest!

Topic starter
(@lindsey-shaw)

Hi
Thank you for your reply. No I didn't see a anaesthetist st my pre-op. I was told by the surgeon that I will not be having a spinal anaesthetic because he doesn't want me to wake halfway through the operation. My surgery is about 3 to 4 hours long approx it is complex because I have got metal in my hip and pelvis from previous hip surgery. I think the surgery will be done under general anaesthetic combined with a epidural.

Were you assessed by the anaesthetist at the pre-op? I see clients who have had hip/knee replacement surgery, and it's been done with spinal anaesthetic. I had my knee replaced last August - with a spinal - and the 6 other people having knees/hips done the same day, also had spinal. Two of the ladies with hip replacements went home that evening!!! I had to wait 5 days to get out - told by the consultant that knees are more complicated. I made the most of the rest!

Share: