Are you wondering how you can age gracefully? Are you confused by what cream or serum is good for you? Are you scared at the thought of loading your face with chemical-filled solutions? For many, the answer is to take an altogether different path. Face yoga is the new activity taking the beauty world by storm, and incorporating it into your skin care routine can reap lasting benefits.
What is face yoga?
Exercising your face in the same way you would any other body part comes with a range of benefits for your skin and your body as a whole. Massaging the top bridge of the nose, protruding one’s neck out and upwards, and moving the chin and neck in a specific way are just some of the exercises which can stimulate various acupressure points.
The benefits of face yoga
There is a range of benefits to face yoga, including:
- Lifts and tones – Facial yoga stimulates energy points, encouraging blood to flow to the face and neck. This allows underlying tissues and muscles to be rejuvenated for a refreshed appearance.
- Softens and reduces wrinkles – The acupressure exercises of face yoga affect over 50 muscles in the face and neck. The result is the expansion of muscle fibres which prevents the skin from loosening. Increased blood flow helps deliver nutrients to the face and also leads to increased collagen production.
- Improves under-eye appearance – Massaging the undereye area and nose encourages blood and oxygen to flow, reducing puffiness and dark circles. It also relieves sinus tension and eye tension, ideal for those with allergies or who work in front of a screen. The result is a relaxed, younger looking face.
- Reduces nasal folds and laughter lines – The practice known as Dicang in Chinese involves massaging facial lines in small, firm circles from the centre moving outwards. The exercise tightens and softens the appearance of deep lines.
- Improves well-being – Face yoga is a true mindfulness exercise that can help you destress. Taking the time to incorporate some facial massage into your end-of-day skincare regime can help you unwind to get a good night’s sleep. What’s more, the exercises can improve tension throughout the rest of your body.
- Complements other beauty therapies – When used in conjunction with other beauty therapies and skin treatments it can improve results, particularly the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Speak to a beauty therapist today
Face yoga can be the ideal therapeutic exercise to complement a facial or other beauty treatment and help you feel refreshed. If you’re looking for a new beauty therapist, find one in our directory today.