Swedish Massage with preblended oils

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@agme28)
Eminent Member

Hello

I am VTCT qualified in Swedish Massage but cannot afford to the do aromatherapy as I would like. My question is, can I use preblended oils on clients such as the ones sold at the college where I studied? My tutor seemed to suggest that it would be fine, but wouldn't I still need to know whether a particular preblend was suitable for any given client? Is it a case of them simply signing something to say they are OK with the preblend to be used? I know a fair bit about essential oils just from my own study and from attending a nightschool course in it, but I am not an aromatherapist.

When I went to Spain last year, I had a massage in a spa hotel and I didn't have to fill any forms in and no medical history was taken. I found this bizarre but refreshing as I know I have no contraindications personally. But I want to make sure I am covered when I start practising professionally and that my clients are in safe hands.

Many thanks
Abi

8 Replies
(@sportstherapy)
Noble Member

Hi Abi,
some of the pre-blended oils contain essential oils in high concentration, and many have a lot more contraindications than massage alone. IMO you should be limiting your own personal liability as much as possible. It's your choice whether you use them or not, however should anything go wrong, it would be you that is held liable.

If you really want to use them then research the very safest oils and use those in the weakest diluted blends as you can find.

I'm also really glad that in this country therapists are trained to take full consultations before embarking on any treatments.

Isis-Training
(@isis-training)
Estimable Member

I agree with sports therapy, before i qualified in aromatherapy i bought a few pre blended oils and the concentration absolutely knocked my socks off. Far too strong and again you have no idea who is contraindicated against which oil. I was recently bought a pre blended oil by a good friend of mine having a laugh as it was a detox oil (for weightloss!! hahaha) anyhow, i have just this very second counted the oils used and there are 16 different oils listed and the smell is too overwhelming. I wont use it.

As for the consultation issue, i have been a few places in the UK in the past and not even been asked any questions regarding my health. I know i am fine to have the treatment and yet they didnt. A few i did mention it to afterwards but they said their bosses (owers of the complex) told them not to as they have bookings back to back and it would take up too much time and therefore lose money.

I also recently wanted an eye lash and brow tint and so many salons were going to book me in without a product test first.... a response to tints can be horrendous so theres no way i was going to go unless i took my own products with me for them to use!!!

You do have to be so careful and if you are at all concerned stick to plain carrier oils or get an aromatherapist to mix you some oils and they write down who can and cannot have this oil etc

wesam
(@wesam)
Estimable Member

Hi Agme28,

When I was training in Holistic Massage 4 or 5 years ago we were taught not to use pre-blended oils without aromatherapy qualifications because of lack of insurance cover. We could however use oils that clients brought in.

Wesam

Patchouli
(@patchouli)
Noble Member

Hi agme28

You are very sensible and although I am sure this isn't anything YOU would do, I have a bugbear with people who put "aromatherapy massage" on their treatment list and then go on to use pre-blended oils.

If you do use preblends (which as the others point out may be hazardous) please let your clients know that this isn't aromatherapy in it's truest form.

Patchouli:)

Topic starter
(@agme28)
Eminent Member

Thankyou everybody. I think I will just let it be known that massages with essential oils do not fall under my 'umbrella' and stick with basic carrier oils - perhaps offering a choice such as jojoba for a face massage? Does anyone know how long you can store grapeseed oil for before it goes off, assuming it does? I have a big pump bottle stored away which I bought probably 9-12 months ago and I am wondering if I can still use it.

(@chrisrams)
Noble Member

When I work at the hospice, I do blend oils according to what the patients need. However, we do have a selection of Purple Flame's pre-blended oils which are approved for use by people who aren't aromatherapists. I'd recommend you talk to Purple Flame about their blends, they really are lovely and not too strong. No connection: just a satisfied customer!

(@lavandula)
Honorable Member

Hi agme28

You are very sensible and although I am sure this isn't anything YOU would do, I have a bugbear with people who put "aromatherapy massage" on their treatment list and then go on to use pre-blended oils.

I agree with that! I worked for a short time at a centre and was asked to give an aromatherapy massage. Took my oils along and opened up my big box awaiting my clients arrival and another therapist came in and was shocked that I blended my oils specific to my client and I hadn't already blended them ready for their arrival! She said she blended them up ready and made enough for their subsequent treatments. I couldn't believe it!

Thell
(@thell)
Estimable Member

Tui massage waxes are nice too - they have a few different blends, including lavender and rose waxes that are not blended with anything else.

Also, while I'm here, the CThA insurance is very strict about using essential oils - you are not covered to use ANYTHING containing essential oils without an aromatherapy qualification. This includes lavender reflexology foot wipes, for example. I am switching to the FHT so that I can use Tui and other blends.

I promise I won't pretend to be giving aromatherapy massages, and I promise to read the oil information thoroughly, and use blends that are not too strong! And I promise to get a qualification when I can 😀

Share: