Kiga
(@kiga)
Reputable Member

Very strange. Was it something I said? 😉

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

I expect a moderator will explain it to us one day - an official explanation.

Below is what hit my Inbox - go figure it for yourself... I can't. :confused:

"Dear mac,

Energylz has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Modern Spiritualism as against Old type Spiritualism - in the Spiritualism forum of Healthypages Discussion Forums.

This thread is located at:

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Well we're on 21 posts and I've been checking back regularly, still waiting for an answer to the original question. Is there an answer, or is this thread unnecessary and needs deleting?

Perhaps enough of the :offtopic: discussion, and how about some discussion that actually discusses the topic for those who may be interested.

All Love and Reiki Hugs"

Kiga
(@kiga)
Reputable Member

I see. Well that explains that then - presumably Silverhoodedowl will have had a similar message, as it was she who actually started the thread.

Energylz
(@energylz)

Mac,

I've replied to the ticket you raised regarding this.

All Love and Reiki Hugs

silverhoodedowl
(@silverhoodedowl)
Prominent Member

I was asked if I wanted the topic deleted so agreed it might be better if it was.
All cleared up.
SHO

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

But I'd still like to know the answer!

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

Mac,

I've replied to the ticket you raised regarding this.

All Love and Reiki Hugs

You did and I received it. Although the thread hadn't gone far it does seem unfair to other contributors that it was summarily removed.

It's not unreasonable that an original poster might request a removal when there is an important reason it shouldn't be left on a board. But when others have contributed it seems to me that their input should also be considered.

In such cases there are two ways forward. Firstly all contributors could agree to the removal. Secondly only the original poster's contributions should be removed, perhaps with a note from a moderator to explain any lack of continuity.

Energylz
(@energylz)

You did and I received it. Although the thread hadn't gone far it does seem unfair to other contributors that it was summarily removed.

It's not unreasonable that an original poster might request a removal when there is an important reason it shouldn't be left on a board. But when others have contributed it seems to me that their input should also be considered.

In such cases there are two ways forward. Firstly all contributors could agree to the removal. Secondly only the original poster's contributions should be removed, perhaps with a note from a moderator to explain any lack of continuity.

In general, yes, that's the way moderation works, though it would be almost impossible to get agreement from all contributors in some cases, and if the thread is deleted, then there's nowhere to put a "note". We often don't remove threads if there has been valued contributions made, unless the OP has posted something personal perhaps and no longer wants it public, but we have to take each case on its own merits and based on moderators availability etc.

In the case of the particular thread you asked about, a question was asked and, in truth, there were no real contributions towards answering that question, just a lot of off-topic responses that didn't answer anything. As such SilverHoodedOwl agreed that it wasn't going anywhere and could be deleted. If only SHO's posts had been removed then there wouldn't have been any discussion in line with the thread subject at all, so that would have been pointless.

Of course if you believe that the topic of conversation is important, you are more than welcome to start another thread to discuss it, but perhaps without all the unnecessary off-topic discussion about nobody being interested and how active the forum is etc. So please, do start a topic on the differences between old and new spiritualism, I'm sure there are plenty who are interested, even if they don't contribute to the thread directly.

All Love and Reiki Hugs

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

In general, yes, that's the way moderation works, though it would be almost impossible to get agreement from all contributors in some cases, and if the thread is deleted, then there's nowhere to put a "note". We often don't remove threads if there has been valued contributions made, unless the OP has posted something personal perhaps and no longer wants it public, but we have to take each case on its own merits and based on moderators availability etc.

In the case of the particular thread you asked about, a question was asked and, in truth, there were no real contributions towards answering that question, just a lot of off-topic responses that didn't answer anything. As such SilverHoodedOwl agreed that it wasn't going anywhere and could be deleted. If only SHO's posts had been removed then there wouldn't have been any discussion in line with the thread subject at all, so that would have been pointless.

Of course if you believe that the topic of conversation is important, you are more than welcome to start another thread to discuss it, but perhaps without all the unnecessary off-topic discussion about nobody being interested and how active the forum is etc. So please, do start a topic on the differences between old and new spiritualism, I'm sure there are plenty who are interested, even if they don't contribute to the thread directly.

All Love and Reiki Hugs

"....a question was asked and, in truth, there were no real contributions towards answering that question, just a lot of off-topic responses that didn't answer anything. As such SilverHoodedOwl agreed that it wasn't going anywhere and could be deleted. " One could argue that for many threads I've read....

But there's always the theoretical chance that others might join later and address the original issue.

As a 'regular', however, I know the Spiritualism forum isn't much visited so I'm not particularly concerned in this instance.... 🙂

Energylz
(@energylz)

"....a question was asked and, in truth, there were no real contributions towards answering that question, just a lot of off-topic responses that didn't answer anything. As such SilverHoodedOwl agreed that it wasn't going anywhere and could be deleted. " One could argue that for many threads I've read....

But there's always the theoretical chance that others might join later and address the original issue.

Well it had 20 odd posts that weren't addressing the question, which would typically put anyone else off joining in (from past experience), and when experienced contributors were already on that thread but not answering the question, well...

:rolleyes:

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

Well it had 20 odd posts that weren't addressing the question, which would typically put anyone else off joining in (from past experience), and when experienced contributors were already on that thread but not answering the question, well...

:rolleyes:

Do you routinely monitor threads to that degree and remove them in that way?

If so in the 11 or so years I've been a member of HP I've not been aware of it....

silverhoodedowl
(@silverhoodedowl)
Prominent Member

On further consideration,any topic can be brought back to subject again by just a few words on the original meaning.
But,let's not worry about it,eh?
🙂

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

On further consideration,any topic can be brought back to subject again by just a few words on the original meaning.
But,let's not worry about it,eh?
🙂

I'm not worrying, just remarking....;)

silverhoodedowl
(@silverhoodedowl)
Prominent Member

I'm not worrying, just remarking....;)

:hidesbehindsofa:

Can I come out? Is it safe?

Look a bit closer,you will see I have started another topic on Spiritualism.
😀

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

:hidesbehindsofa:

Can I come out? Is it safe?

Look a bit closer,you will see I have started another topic on Spiritualism.
😀

I was only saying.....

Have you ever been at risk from mac, auntie J. 🙂

For now, though, I've said enough about Spiritualism. I'm happy to become one of the interested readers that Kiga was recently telling me we have in abundance.....;)

Kiga
(@kiga)
Reputable Member

Always room for one more! 😉

Share: