Spiritualism - a definition?

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
 mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

Modern Spiritualism (usually shortened to just Spiritualism) has its roots in Hydesville, New York, USA. Much historical information and comment is readily available online.

In the UK it is officially recognised as a legal religion with churches and ministers. Again, an online search will explain the background to this situation. In many other countries it is not treated in the same way.

The basis of Spiritualist philosophy is that all humans survive as individuals beyond physical death. Those who have passed on are usually termed spirits.

Spiritualism teaches that these individuals are still very much alive and active. Furthermore they retain their characters and characteristics, both of which can provide evidence of identity when they return to communicate with loved ones. Someone who helps facilitate this is known as a medium.

Providing evidence of survival through communication defines the primary role of a Spiritualist medium.

She or he acts as a ‘go-between’, someone able to hear the words from a spirit communicator (clairaudience) or able to see and describe them (clairvoyance). Other forms of mediumship are also sometimes demonstrated. The medium tries to pass on as accurately as possible whatever they receive from the spirit communicator to the intended recipient.

Such communication can provide details of personality, names or places which are recognised, evidence showing that loved ones are still alive. It is a two-way process and the recipient of a message can pass on their own message or question.

It is frequently said that mediums are psychic but psychics are not necessarily mediums. Psychics may be aware of spirits, even able to communicate with them, but they may not provide the information which characterises evidential mediumship.

13 Replies
silverhoodedowl
(@silverhoodedowl)
Prominent Member

Excellent explanation there,Mac.

Information we should all take heed of,the basics of spiritualism we need to know.
Spiritualism is not a case of finding someone who we think can give us any kind reading.
We need the right kind of medium or pyschic depending on what kind of reading we would like..

Pyschic is information about ourself,mediumistic is messages from the spirit world.

SHO.

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

Good God, this thread hadn't been visited for 18 months!

(@meryem)
Eminent Member

Interestingly Nope! It has been visited some 1,342 times but never replied until recently.

You have quite perfectly described the topic spiritualism in western context.

silverhoodedowl
(@silverhoodedowl)
Prominent Member

Good God, this thread hadn't been visited for 18 months!

Thought I would give it an airing.
Don't knock it,Mac.
😀

SHO

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

Thought I would give it an airing.
Don't knock it,Mac.
😀

SHO

ain't knocking it, J - just amazed it's been resurrected after all this time. 😀

I had, incidentally, totally forgotten that I'd run this thread. I'm just like an LP - still giving out the same, old tune.....

Maybe, though, I should draw comfort from the unchanging message in my words? :1kis:

silverhoodedowl
(@silverhoodedowl)
Prominent Member

ain't knocking it, J - just amazed it's been resurrected after all this time. 😀

I had, incidentally, totally forgotten that I'd run this thread. I'm just like an LP - still giving out the same, old tune.....

Maybe, though, I should draw comfort from the unchanging message in my words? :1kis:

At least you are consistent,Mac.

Steady as a rock.
Don't change.
J.:wave:

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

At least you are consistent,Mac.

Steady as a rock.
Don't change.
J.:wave:

Thanks but there's little value in a message that few have any interest in. 🙁

One is largely preaching to the converted.....

Energylz
(@energylz)

Cheer up Mac,

As meryem said, it's been viewed loads of times. I think it's just the nature of the way it's written in that it's informative rather than inviting discussion, so people read it, undertand it, and have nothing to say other than to go away and know what spiritualism is.

:rolleyes:

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

Cheer up Mac,

As meryem said, it's been viewed loads of times. I think it's just the nature of the way it's written in that it's informative rather than inviting discussion, so people read it, undertand it, and have nothing to say other than to go away and know what spiritualism is.

:rolleyes:

On that basis I'm satisfied I achieved about as much as I was ever likely to.... 🙂 thank you

songstress
(@songstress)
Famed Member

Hi mac,

Just recently returned to HP after a very long absence (new grandchild, new marriage, bereavement and....return to platform work in Spiritualist churches!)

What you say about Spiritualism is correct, but I would go further and say that communication with the spirit world has been going on for centuries. It was only the goings-on in Hydesville, and the tendency towards religious liberation in society in the Victorian period that spirit connections were even allowed to happen. However....

There is a definite disctinction between a 'psychic reading' and a 'spiritual reading.' The former relies on the reader reading for the sitter, and can include fortune telling, amongst other things. The latter (should be) a totally spiritual experience in which the reader connects mentally to the spirit world and uses his/her gift (the gift of interpretation and deliverance) to make sense of the information conveyed to the sitter. Sometimes the sitter can 'feel' the presence of the spirit in these reading sessions, or they may feel spiritually healed in some way. In cases of spiritual readings, evidence of the 'dear departed' is given, often with incontrovertible proof.

Patsy.
xxx

mac
Topic starter
(@mac)
Prominent Member

Hi mac,

Just recently returned to HP after a very long absence (new grandchild, new marriage, bereavement and....return to platform work in Spiritualist churches!)

What you say about Spiritualism is correct, but I would go further and say that communication with the spirit world has been going on for centuries. It was only the goings-on in Hydesville, and the tendency towards religious liberation in society in the Victorian period that spirit connections were even allowed to happen. However....

There is a definite disctinction between a 'psychic reading' and a 'spiritual reading.' The former relies on the reader reading for the sitter, and can include fortune telling, amongst other things. The latter (should be) a totally spiritual experience in which the reader connects mentally to the spirit world and uses his/her gift (the gift of interpretation and deliverance) to make sense of the information conveyed to the sitter. Sometimes the sitter can 'feel' the presence of the spirit in these reading sessions, or they may feel spiritually healed in some way. In cases of spiritual readings, evidence of the 'dear departed' is given, often with incontrovertible proof.

Patsy.
xxx

Hi Patsy

I hadn't realised you'd been away from HP for such a long time....

Re 'Spiritualism' I hope you noticed I deliberately referred to 'Modern Spiritualism' to signify its most recent emergence? Just getting over the notion that Spiritualism isn't spiritualism or spirituality is hard enough! I've been in more trouble than a little pointing this out to indignant individuals who insist I have things all wrong. 🙁

A significant problem remains in psychics often being called mediums as if there's no difference. Add to that the American 'psychic medium' meaning evidential medium and things can get very hard to explain at times. Throw in Tarot and other reading and the problem gets compounded - especially so where Tarot is offered in a nominally Spiritually church....:eek:

A basic definition of what Spiritualism's about was the best I could come up with here as a starting point for genuine enquirers.

silverhoodedowl
(@silverhoodedowl)
Prominent Member

Have I really been away that long?
This is like the resurrection of the dead.....:D
Couldn't even remember my user and password.

Nice to be back though.
SHO

songstress
(@songstress)
Famed Member

Hi mac,

I find your definition quite good. I have to say that I am comfortable to work as a medium, but not as a psychic. It uses up far too much energy and can rely on guesswork a lot of the time. This is when some sceptical people can mix up the difference between 'psychics' and 'mediums.' Unfortunately, we mediums get lumped together and get branded 'charlatans' and 'feeding off the bereaved' (which was said to me once, directly to my face.)

Patsy.
xxx

Share: