Beginner's Guide To Hinduism

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Venetian
Topic starter
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

A Beginner's Guide To Hinduism - Channel 4, Wednesday 6th Sept, 11.40 p.m. - in England anyway as some parts have different progs?

Actually it's the 3rd of 3 programmes. Islam (earlier time) on Tuesday, and Scientology - as someone else has posted elsewhere - tonight, Monday.

Edit to add: hmm, how will one TV programme do the job? Pretend that Hinduism is basically all one thing (as it isn't at all homogenous and not a "religion" in that way at all) ...

18 Replies
songstress
(@songstress)
Famed Member

RE: Beginner's Guide To Hinduism

Hello David,

I don't know that much about Hinduism (that '-ism' ending again! [:@]) but I do know that it isn't simply a religion. It is many things, including a whole lifestyle and set of values.

I hope the programme does it justice, for Hinduism is the oldest religion on Earth, and the one from which many sprang. I shall be watching it, of course.

Love,
Patsy.
xxxxxx

sunanda
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

Hi guys

This is the programme I was involved with last winter.

I'm looking forward to watching it as it will be interesting to find out how it turns out, having seen it being made. I don't think you will see me, although there was one scene in the big temple in Tiruvannamalai when I didn't get out of the way of the camera quickly enough. I expect they will have edited that out though.

It's a pity it's on so late: I hope I can stay awake.

There are two other programmes in the series: tonight there's a Beginner's Guide to L. Ron Hubbard (ie Scientology) and tomorrow Peaches Geldof is the Beginner being introduced to Islam.

Love
Sunanda xxx

sunanda
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

sunanda
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

Sorry - the photo came out a bit big. Just wanted to show you this, taken at the end of filming!

Love
Sunanda xxx

Venetian
Topic starter
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

Ah - so this is the one. We'll watch out for you! 😉

Principled
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Sorry Sunanda,

I really wanted to see it last night, but we have a new video/DVD recorder and I just can't work out how to record with it - yet! [&:]

I've had a hectic week with late night after late night and last night, I was falling asleep during the 9pm prog on the Hittites and was sent to bed!

If anyone has taped it, I'd love to see it. Interested in what everyone thought too.

Love and peace,

Judy

sunanda
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

Hi Judy

Well, I did manage to stay awake and thought the programme turned out well. Having been involved with the second section (in Tiruvannamalai) I was interested to see how they put it together and was amazed by the amount of stuff they left out. I was surprised (and have to admit pleased) to see my name in the credits as one of the 'India coordinators'.

I don't have a video recorder but am hoping to get hold of a recording so I can show the programme to the people in India who were actually in it.

Love
Sunanda xxx

Venetian
Topic starter
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

My hand up! I saw it! I had to be up at 5 but I'm too much of a night owl for an early night all the same.

I really liked it. I mean, I really don't think it told you much at all about Hinduism, but it gave you the 'flavour' of Hinduism and it was jolly entertaining with happy, astute people. BTW I loved it when the female guru was the one surrounded by all the Western, not Indian "New Age" types, and the presenter just turned on that facetious American (?) and called him something like an egocentric pretender. 😉

I'd been playing with the idea of a return to India ... but this reminded me too that you don't necessarily "get away from it all"? It can be VERY crowded?

A real nice guy, the one who passed away. Unpretentious and real.

Sunanda, yes, that's how filming goes. They might spend two days on something but it has to be cut down to 12 minutes. It's how it works ....

V

sunanda
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

the presenter just turned on that facetious American (?) and called him something like an egocentric pretender.

Actually he was British!!!

I do agree that the programme was well edited and well put together. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and have just learned that a friend did tape it so I can take it out to India next time I go.

Love
Sunanda xxx

Venetian
Topic starter
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

ORIGINAL: sunanda

the presenter just turned on that facetious American (?) and called him something like an egocentric pretender.

Actually he was British!!!

Whatever. It was just one of those moments when you feel real uneasy about something in the back of your mind, but personally, especially in a spiritual setting, I'd just react politely, maybe listen. It was great when the guy was told a piece of the presenter's mind. 😀

ro§ie
(@roie-2)
Famed Member

V,

have you got the right dead person yet? it wasnt the presenter, the young paul nichols that died... it was the old indain guy, very well spoken, who took paul to the goat sacrifice (ewww sunanda! they did 2 so we could get a good shot (which we didnt anyway!)).

i agree, V... i didnt get a lot about hindusim out of it, but yes a good flavouring...

lovely looking place, sunanda.

Venetian
Topic starter
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

Yes R, I have the "right dead person". I WAS mixed up, so looked up Sunanda's post naming the person while the programme was on!

V

songstress
(@songstress)
Famed Member

I missed this programme, thanks to a choral society meeting that went on late into the night.

Dammit!

(@spiderman)
Estimable Member

They're repeating it on Saturday night / Sunday morning (10th September) at 4.10am! [sm=confused-smiley-012.gif]

Venetian
Topic starter
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

There you go, Sunanda. It did so well, they've given it peak-time viewing!

Prashna
(@prashna)
Noble Member

Hi Songstress,

As it happens, I DID tape that programme. Also I have the Channel 4 description of it; which is comprehensive enough. Should you so desire, I can try to post it!

However, more importantly, if anyone wishes to question ANY ASPECT of it, I shall try to clarify! Including the goat beheading bit. I was squeamish about that,just as much asany of you. I shall certainly NOT try to justify it. There is NOT and cannot be any any justification.

In my considered opinion, the programme was extremely superficial. Yet, it was useful. I hope to cover the main strands of Sanatana Dharma in a future thread.

Regards.

(@paul-carvill)

hi,

does anyone have a copy of The Beginners Guide To Hinduism on tape or DVD that they would be willing to send me?

Thanks!

Paul Carvill
Guildford

Prashna
(@prashna)
Noble Member

Hi Paul,

Channel 4 still seems to have the page with a short description of the programme:

[link= http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/C/can_you_believe_it/debates/guide2.html ]http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/C/can_you_believe_it/debates/guide2.html[/link]

Here is an excerpt:

The Beginner's Guide to Hinduism

Actor Paul Nicholls travels the length of India to learn from gurus about the ancient and modern beliefs and practices of Hinduism.

1. In the foothills of the Himalayas, Paul meets a guru who tells him that [link= http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/C/can_you_believe_it/religion/r-hindu.html ]Hinduism[/link], one of the world's oldest traditions, is a way of life rather than a religion. He explains that for Hindus, all individuals are divine,

2. Paul participates in a nightly fire ceremony ...

3. The next day he watches the sacred thread ceremony,

Then it's off to Tamil Nadu ....

4. Paul follows a traditional pilgrimage route to the temple of Thiruvannamalai,
Travelling round the bottom of the holy mountain, Paul visits many small temples and shrines,

5. Most Hindu worship, though, takes place in people's own homes. Paul's mentor, Bhaskar, takes him to a private house to make an offering with the residents to Ganesh, the son of Shiva...

6. Then he is taken to meet Radha, an accountant turned guru,... she says that gurus just feel like ordinary people.

7. Another face of Hinduism altogether is Kali, a bloodthirsty goddess who protects the universe from evil. Every Friday, people offer rice, food and the blood of a goat which must be killed with a single blow, though Bhaskar says that many people find this primal, ungilded ritual unacceptable today.

8. The guru Radha takes Paul into the forest to meditate on what he has gained from his journey.

9. He (Paul) says that he feels that you don't have to trust in God or religion – that maybe Hinduism is about being aware, honest and at peace with yourself.

I would comment only on the following:

7. "...Kali, a bloodthirsty goddess ..." misrepresentative. Personally, I find the ritual slaughter unacceptable and unnecessary. I am happy to say that this simply does not happen in most of the country. I found it difficult to watch that part of the programme.

9. Absolutely agree.

Live long and prosper.

Prashna.

Share: