The power of Love

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Having just watched the wonderful Royal Wedding of Megan and Harry, I felt so inspired by the first part of Bishop Michael Curry's speech (really sermon!) that I thought I would give a couple of links here:

That's the overview but if you wanted to hear it in its entirety, here it is:

He certainly was a breath of fresh air compared to the formal British clerics!

Here is some of what he said:

"When love is the way, we will let justice roll down like a mighty stream and righteousness like an ever-flowing brook," he said, quoting the bible and raising his arms.

"When love is the way, poverty will become history. When love is the way, the Earth will be a sanctuary."

He continued, referencing the African-American spiritual song Down by the Riverside, which was sung by slaves: "When love is the way, we will lay down our swords and shields down by the riverside to study war no more.

"When love is the way, there's plenty good room, plenty good room for all of God's children.

"Because when love is the way, we actually treat each other, well, like we're actually family."

I have to admit he lost me in the "fire" second part - it was rather too long, but he was saying in many words what was summed up here:

Bishop Curry spoke at length in the last part of his speech about fire, quoting the late French philosopher and Jesuit priest Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.

The Frenchman, he said, had "suggested that the discovery and harnessing of fire was one of the great technological discoveries of human history".

He then listed the many uses of fire, from cooking food, to aviation, to "broadcasting this wedding around the world".

The preacher later returned to de Chardin, who he said had argued that "if humanity ever captured the energy of love, it would be the second time in history that we have discovered fire".

When we discover the "redemptive power of love", he said, "we will make of this old world, a new world"

A wonderful day, wonderful weather and a wonderful message!

Love and peace,

Judy

2 Replies
(@jnani)
Noble Member

Watched a little bit of the wedding. The most profound part for me was the love that was bursting in hearts of the throngs of people waving cheering supporting the couple, after waiting lovingly for the moment they behold the newly wed couple.

It was all about the lovely people for me. It was innocent, loving and supportive...and certainly an element of selflessness in that.

Harry is a fun chap. Blessings to the couple and all those who became part of the celebrations by watching from near and far.
May the good cheer stay in all hearts

Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Yes I agree - it was all smiling faces, joy and excitement. We drove through Windsor on Tuesday and even then, the excitement in the air was palpable. One of the commentators said it felt like VE day, with the mixture of UK and USA flags and such togetherness and joy from everyone. 🙂

Share: