9 Users
0 Likes
87.8 K Views
 Caz
Topic starter
(@caz)
Eminent Member

Hi all
Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. I get really uncomfortable pins n needles in my lower arm and hand. It is getting more frequent as days go by, its been happening about a month. It seems to be worse after exercise or massage ( Im a massage therapist) I get this tight feeling around the middle of my lower arm and then the pins n needles creep down to my fingers. I can sometimes prevent it by flexing and waving my arm about wildly ! I do get a bit of tension in my neck and shoulders and wondered if this was connected. Ive got myself booked in for a back, neck and shoulder massage next week and are hoping it will help. Anyone had a similar complaint?
caz

14 Replies
BIA
 BIA
(@bia)
Reputable Member

from that briefest of descriptions, it sounds like it might be thoracic outlet syndrome - impingement of the brachial plexus, usually by Cx/1st rib, clavicle, scelenes or pec. mi.

See a chiro/osteo/physio for more accurate diagnosis & treatment

Caz
Topic starter
(@caz)
Eminent Member

Thanks BIA for that info, but that sounds very complicated and scarey. Could you explain a bit more in lay-mans terms.
caz

(@chrisie)

I get the same

Hi I get similar symptoms mostly in the morning or if I have been typing. For me it is to do with trapped nerves possibly carpel tunnel which is quiet common. I am going to have a nerve test which is basically where they pop eletric stimulants onto your fingers/hands to see where they get most results from nerves.

I would get it checked out because often something like this can be sorted by a simply operation where by they release the tension which is pushing on the said nerve.

Good luck

BIA
 BIA
(@bia)
Reputable Member

Thanks BIA for that info, but that sounds very complicated and scarey. Could you explain a bit more in lay-mans terms.
caz

sorry, thought I was pitching it at massage therapist level.
When the nerves leave the spine in the neck, they go through a cervical plexus, basically juggling things about before heading off down the arm in larger nerves. Brachial plexus is in the lower neck / shoulder region and can be squeezed by other local structures, like the muscles at the side of the neck, top ribs, collar bone etc.
This creates a nerve pain / P&N etc downt he arm which will be felt in the regions those nerves supply and can be relieved by releasing the squeeing, such as by waving your arms around like a mad-woman; also by manipulation, mobilisation and massage.

Other options could be a nerve root problem at the spin itself, or a more distal (further down the arm) nerve impingement like carpal tunnel syndrome, akin to knocking your 'funny bone' but in different locations on the nerve.

Hi I get similar symptoms mostly in the morning or if I have been typing. For me it is to do with trapped nerves possibly carpel tunnel which is quiet common. I am going to have a nerve test which is basically where they pop eletric stimulants onto your fingers/hands to see where they get most results from nerves.

I would get it checked out because often something like this can be sorted by a simply operation where by they release the tension which is pushing on the said nerve.

Good luck

Carpal Tunnel shouldn't hurt in the forearm like the sensation described did, so I'd be a little surprised if it were that. I'd also recommend the surgical option only AFTER more conservative options, again, a chiro/osteo/physio should be able to discuss those with you.

Trouble with the operation is that the problem often starts up again a few years later. Surgeons' wouldn't necesarily know this as the patient won't go back for further surgery, and often won't see the GP again, as it's relatively minor, and once surgery's been tried, there aren't many other options available, so people with post-op recurrence tend to just put up with it. The failures that go on record are the ones where surgery just fails in the first case.

Caz
Topic starter
(@caz)
Eminent Member

Thanks for your help, I think I agree with you BIA, I dont think I have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. Ive also found that by adjusting my posture I can minimize the amount of times I get the pins n needles. I have a lot of tension in my shoulders at the moment and are under a bit of stress, Im wondering if a few good massages will cure the problem.

BIA
 BIA
(@bia)
Reputable Member

I'd advise seeing a chiro/osteo/physio for it. TOS is a neurological problem, and I believe that to be outside the scope of practice for massage therapist, or at least, only with consent from a diagnosing profession such as the above.
If it is confirmed as TOS, massage would be part of the treatment plan, but not all of it; if it's a nerve root (rather than branch) problem, then massage could potentially aggravate the problem.
Go see the experts first and get a firm diagnosis, then read around it for yourself.

Caz
Topic starter
(@caz)
Eminent Member

Thanks BIA Ive made an appointment with an Osteopath, thanks for the advice.
caz

Kali
(@kali)

I disagree that TOS is outside the scope of a massage therapist. As a therapeutic and sports massage therapist I see client's with this and similar problems. I have found that therapeutic massage techniques have cleared this up every time.

I'd advise seeing a chiro/osteo/physio for it. TOS is a neurological problem, and I believe that to be outside the scope of practice for massage therapist, or at least, only with consent from a diagnosing profession such as the above.
If it is confirmed as TOS, massage would be part of the treatment plan, but not all of it; if it's a nerve root (rather than branch) problem, then massage could potentially aggravate the problem.
Go see the experts first and get a firm diagnosis, then read around it for yourself.

BIA
 BIA
(@bia)
Reputable Member

sorry, didn't make myself clear - I meant that neurological problems are outside the scope of practice for massage therapy; at least until diagnosed properly and referred back.

I've no problem with TOS being treated by a massage therapist - I've actively recommended it; but I'd retain control of the case, monitoring of the symptoms, and the diagnosis.

(@esthermarie)

Heat lotion did it for me!!

Hello

Thanks for this info... i get the same... but i also get it sometimes in my heals..

Yesturday I had it and i rubbed heat lotion on my neck after an hour the feeling went in my arms..

Esther xx

kcairnduff7
(@kcairnduff7)

Pins and Needles

Today i was at work, and started to get really bad pins and needles in my left hand and also numbness in my left wrist. It lasted for about 15-20mins. Then it moved in to tingling of my tongue which lasted for about 10mins. Very strange. Once that had gone i got a really bad pain in my right side of temple, kind of behind the right eye socket this was unbearable i had to go home from work. I've had these sort of headaches before and i usually go back to bed lights off and just sleep them off. Any ideas of what this is or could be or what i should do? Any advice would be great.

stephen jeffrey
(@stephen-jeffrey)
Reputable Member

kcairnduff7
please see your GP to get this checked out.
If your posture is bad or you spend long hours at your computor you may have trigger points in your neck and shoulder muscles. Trigger points are knots in muscle that effect nerves causing refered pain/tingling in other area's of your body. A good massage therapist should be able to help, but get checked by your GP first.

kvdp
(@kvdp)
Noble Member

I agree, discussing this with your doctor would be wise, even if in the end you prefer an alternative mode of treatment. Headaches with multiple strange neurological symptoms that come and go and don't conform to an obvious pattern does ring bells, and requires further investigation.

That said, the diagnosis often gives an interesting name but draws a blank in terms of treatment from a medical point of view. Yet that does not necessarily mean this is hard to treat when thinking broadly about the problem. You've come to the right place to find other ideas, but ultimately it is personal consultation that is going to get a result, this is not a computer game.

So I would also start thinking about alternative approaches now also. Osteopath, Homoeopath, Acupuncturist, also worth asking for an opinion, but you should go on a personal recommendation. Once medics get a diganosis they can give the impression that you have to live with it or nothing can be done - not necessarily true. Remember that you can always shop around.

Another couple of points, migraine tends to be caused by fatigue, medication tends to limit the effect but does not tackle the state of exhaustion, so ultimately you can end up going further into the hole that way.

Also, you don't say if you are left handed - if this is your mouse hand that might make a big difference to the range and balance of possibilities.

As well as asking for an investigation, you should have your vitamin D levels checked - vitamin D deficiency is extrememly common at this time of year and could be a part of the problem. The scales the GP works to are usually way out of wack for D, and the advised intake quite inadequate, so get the exact figures and you can see for yourself what other sources think of them.

Consider Essential Fatty Acid levels also, minerals, B vitamins, and vitamin C, although you can pretty much dive in with supplements for these. And you can get going on 5000iu of vitamin D3 per day pending a test.

WAIT
(@wait)

hi might just be a trapped nerve or even early parkinsons

Share: