11 Users
0 Reactions
19.4 K Views
Cascara
Topic starter
(@cascara)
Prominent Member

Hi,

I know that quite a few of you are on these two meds for neuropathic pain caused by disc and spine and I was wondering if anyone had heard about the links to teeth problems like serious sensitivity and loss of enamel causing breaks etc?

I was on Gabapentin for a few months and it didn't suit me but during that time I had sensitive teeth for the first time. The dentist said that some drugs can do this and I am not talking a twinge I am talking unexplainable tooth pain. Then when I googled I was shocked to find research and studies showing that this can happen and that it is irreversible so I naturally thought of asking here to see if anyone has similar and may not have put two and two together yet?

17 Replies
 yogi
(@yogi)
Reputable Member

hi cascara
iv'e been on pregablin ive put weight on and yes i feel my enamel has changes im due at the dentist iv'e never had a filling in my life always had good teeth but also pregablin has gave me a sweet tooth which i never had, i just hope i'll be ok when i go but my enamel on bottom teeth has changed feel very dry x

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Hi,

I know that quite a few of you are on these two meds for neuropathic pain caused by disc and spine and I was wondering if anyone had heard about the links to teeth problems like serious sensitivity and loss of enamel causing breaks etc?

I was on Gabapentin for a few months and it didn't suit me but during that time I had sensitive teeth for the first time. The dentist said that some drugs can do this and I am not talking a twinge I am talking unexplainable tooth pain. Then when I googled I was shocked to find research and studies showing that this can happen and that it is irreversible so I naturally thought of asking here to see if anyone has similar and may not have put two and two together yet?

It is sadly a common side effect - I am sure your dentist can advise you. 'Common means it can happen in 1%-10% of people that take the drug.

(@microsuccess)
Trusted Member

Hi

During my time on meds i picked up septic throat which the dr said was a direct result of the meds. I was on anti biotics for 2 weeks to clear it. Then i went to the dentist just to be sure it was gone and he said i now showed potential signs of gum disease??? this was 3 months after he said i has in really good dental health. The only thing that changed in that period was my accident and starting the medication.

I started using cordisone mouth wash and pronamel toothpaste. I had less mouth ulcers (side effect of the meds) literally 2 days after starting the cordisone and at my next 6 month checkup the dental hygenist was back to being happy with my mouth. On a personal note i felt better aswell as the ulcers were a real pain and the septic throat just another thing i could of done without.

(@chris517)
Eminent Member

I have been on Pregablin for over two years now my teeth are fine but I have put weight on. I go swimming everyday for mobility reasons but still gain weight. I know that I would rather have the weight problem than the pain that I get if I dont take these pills. I used to drink before my spinal problem but they said that taking the pills you could not drink. So I stopped but because everyone deserves a treat now and again I sometimes dont take the pills on a Saturday so I can have the odd glass of wine. That is when I know that the pregablin is helping my condition as the pain increases.

yogi
(@yogi)
Reputable Member

hi chris

im going through the same problem my appetite has gone but iv'e gained a stone since march plus pregablin has given me a sweet tooth which i never had before all i eat is two bowels of cereals ans at the moment cornetto im obviously since having my fusion 3 weeks ago i can't walk so can't lose my weight iv'e put on, god i wish i could wave a magic wand for us all with back leg any health and mobility problems. x clare

(@tree-lover)
Estimable Member

I have been on Pregablin since January and strangely I have also in that period been told by dentist I have gum disease. Go to dentist regularly and not told this before. Like Microsuccess I was told be dentist to use that mouthwash and go for review in six months - not there yet. In the meantime however, we were working at the dental hospital and were told that that particular mouthwash should not be used for more than a month at a time as it can give you permanent black marks on your teeth. You really cannot win can you!

I too have put weight on during the Pregablin period - no exercise at the moment so it is practically impossible to lose weight.

Angela

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

I have been on Pregablin since January and strangely I have also in that period been told by dentist I have gum disease. Go to dentist regularly and not told this before. Like Microsuccess I was told be dentist to use that mouthwash and go for review in six months - not there yet. In the meantime however, we were working at the dental hospital and were told that that particular mouthwash should not be used for more than a month at a time as it can give you permanent black marks on your teeth. You really cannot win can you!

I too have put weight on during the Pregablin period - no exercise at the moment so it is practically impossible to lose weight.

Angela

Gingivitis is another side effect of Pregabalin and Gabapentin. I assume he suggested you use Corsodyl Mouthwash and he is quite right long term use is not reccomended

(@sharon-heath)
Eminent Member

Pregabalin is not ideal for prolonged use. I have friends who used them and they complained that they are gaining weight. I have noticed that this is a more common side effect. Before using the medication, always ask your doctor for side effects and do some research of your own. This is very important especially if the medication has strong effects. With regards to your teeth issues, see your dentist immediately and see how this can be addressed properly.

(@tree-lover)
Estimable Member

Tashanie

I did not word my original post too well - result of drugs.

I went on Pregablin along with Omeprazole and Tramadol in January

In April I went to the dentist who told me (for the first time) that I had gum disease and told me to take Corsydol for six months and to come back. Obviously not up to that appointment yet.

Last month we were working as communication patients for the dental exams at the dental hospital and that was the question they were dealing with. They recommended Corsydol for one month only. I queried this with one of the tutors afterwards and they told me about the long term effect of Corsydol and confirmed the month.

You can obviously not know whether it is the Pregablin or whether I would have had this anyway but Microsuccess's post flagged up this possibility. What I have been annoyed about since last month is my dentist telling me to use Corsydol for six months until she sees me.
Angela

Cascara
Topic starter
(@cascara)
Prominent Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.

On doing more research it does seem to be that these drugs change the way the calcium channels report pain and of course the calcium barrier in teeth is what helps prevent pain and sensitivity and also creates strong enamel. Put the two together and obvious teeth problems could in theory occur and in practice do.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Pregabalin is not ideal for prolonged use. I have friends who used them and they complained that they are gaining weight. I have noticed that this is a more common side effect. Before using the medication, always ask your doctor for side effects and do some research of your own. This is very important especially if the medication has strong effects. With regards to your teeth issues, see your dentist immediately and see how this can be addressed properly.

You will always get a leaflet which lists all the side effects. I have a problem with these because I know they are legally required but reading about the side effects can ut people off taking medication they really need. I always emphasise to people that the more scary side effects are rare - and that not everyone will get all the side effects.Its getting the balance right between giving enough info that people know what to expect - without suggesting they may get a certain side effect ...so making sure they get it. Grrrr.

Cascara
Topic starter
(@cascara)
Prominent Member

I always read the leaflets as I react so badly to some things and silly things like colourings in meds. I read the 'teeth problems' bit and laughed thinking what on earth could such a general thing be and how could it ever be certain to be the drug. More fool me 🙁

My hygienist was shocked at the difference, from good healthy gums and teeth to sensitive in under two months. The only difference being the med.

(@sandnesspeak)

I seem to have swollen gums which are pulling away from the tooth, a google search tells me its called periodontal disease. I went to the dentist named Gum disease Las vagus dentist last week and she cleaned the area and said to keep cleaning that area as its due to trapped food and irritation. A week later I still have the same swelling, causing me to catch the skin and lots of bleeding yesterday.I am a bit hesitant about going back to the dentist.

(@wendy-oh)

Thanks for all the replies so far.

On doing more research it does seem to be that these drugs change the way the calcium channels report pain and of course the calcium barrier in teeth is what helps prevent pain and sensitivity and also creates strong enamel. Put the two together and obvious teeth problems could in theory occur and in practice do.

Hi-I have taken gabapentin in very tiny almost homeopathic dose several times over the last 10 years, just for a few months at a time at the most usually. I hadn't taken it for a year or two but got into a pain flare up and was taking a tiny amount again the last couple weeks and noticed that some tooth pain came back that I thought I had kicked. I googled and found this thread among some others.

Cascara, I am very sensitive like you and I am intrigued by the calcium channel connection you mention. Do you know if there are some safe ways to alter the channels to reduce pain that won't hurt teeth? Did you find a good way to combat any damage meds did to your teeth?

good thread, thanks.

Cascara
Topic starter
(@cascara)
Prominent Member

No, I'm afraid I havent and can only say that as the Pergabalin seems to make such a positive change to the pain I have stuck with it and even as I look now my dose was doubled to what it was back then. 🙁

2 Replies
(@chiaradedede)

@cascara 

It's been years but I just now came across the post

I've only been on gabapentin for two days and I have a toothache like you described

I wanted to know if you had resolved it, if it regresses over time or if you take pain medications

Thank you

(@chiaradedede)

@cascara 

*I only took it for two days and stopped it

Share: