125 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
18.9 K Views
Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

As 2016 ends, I thought it would be helpful if we could post some good things that have happened. 🙂

Here's one I found today:

For Native Americans, new national monument a rare victory

Of course, not everyone is happy...

Wishing all HP-ers a peaceful, healthy, fulfilling and happy 2017!

Love and peace,

Judy

124 Replies
jeannie
(@jeannie)
Noble Member

“Everything we do is in prayer here, and prayer is an essential part of revitalization of our cultures and our languages.”

Shsme for those who believed a God listens that their prayers were not answered a very long time ago.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Do people here know about this link?

Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Thank you Amy! That's like a breath of fresh air. 🙂 I've just booked-marked the site.

What people often don't realise is that bad news makes the headlines because it's not the norm. Every hour, every day, people are being honest, kind, unselfish, responsible etc, but because it's the norm, it isn't reported. And because we get a daily diet of bad news (especially in these days of social media, when a lot of it is simply made up nonsense) we tend to feel hopeless and victimised.

I've found lots of inspiration from the people featured on the CS Monitor's[url] People Making a Difference [/url] pages. Many change-agents and difference-makers seem to be women and I rejoice that, especially in poorer countries, when they have low social standing, women are grasping the mettle and making a difference!

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Thought you might like this:

Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

What a lovely article Crowan - thank you! I must say, politics apart, 2016 has been a good year for me and I'm sorry to see it go.

This was on the news tonight - more good news - woo hoo: 😎 😎 [url]China to ban ivory trade by the end of 2017 😎 😎[/url]

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

What a lovely article Crowan - thank you! I must say, politics apart, 2016 has been a good year for me and I'm sorry to see it go.

This was on the news tonight - more good news - woo hoo: 😎 😎 [url]China to ban ivory trade by the end of 2017 😎 😎[/url]

That is good. Thanks.
The Syrian ceasefire looks as if it might hold, as well.

(@eddiecharette)

lets hope for a beautiful 2017 full of positive thinking .

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

On this politically difficult day, here's a bit of feel-good news.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Good!

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member
Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

That's lovely - thanks for sharing! 🙂

gunstalin
(@gunstalin)

The easiest way to improve your mood - and your life - is to take time each day to focus on the simple things that bring you joy. To that end, the Telegraph has teamed with Seven Seas to bring you uplifting, feel-good news stories each day. Take a few minutes to read something happy. And don't forget to share your own bit of good news on social media for your chance to win luxury prizes

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Well, well! Finally found an important issue that I support Trump for tackling

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Let's hope.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Let's hope.

At first I thought it might be rhetoric but Trump tends to put things into action...

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

I don't get the impression that he does rhetoric, and I'm sure - like most of us - he sees trafficking as something that needs to be tackled. But his banning of refugees actually puts more children at risk, so this is rather 'so long as it's not in the USA, it doesn't matter'. However, yes, it's good that anything is being done. And, maybe if more had been done in the past, we would not have the kind of world where so many people think Trump is wonderful.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Well his recent mass deportation stance on those in US illegally - without papers - is problematic i.e. far from being implemented currently. It is causing a lot of fear from 'illegal' parents and their children (born in US), e.g. the children not knowing if their parents will be there when returning home.

Yes he only sees so far and his vision is vastly flawed but I am pleased about him going all out in dealing with human trafficking which is a global problem.

Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

This lifted my spirits today! 🙂

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member
Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Brilliant - I hoped that someone would reach out to reward him for his bravery, compassion and unselfishness, but this is better that I'd imagined.

thanks for posting Amy.

Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

I finally found the Pause for Thought from Monday morning.

"There must always be hope - it is what guides us and glues us together, giving us strength in our shared humanity."

Love and peace,

Judy

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I finally found the Pause for Thought from Monday morning.

"There must always be hope - it is what guides us and glues us together, giving us strength in our shared humanity."

Love and peace,

Judy

Hope and defiance would be a winning combination! I do feel that, if anyone can turn this horrendous situation around, then true Muslims are more likely to succeed here. How strange that terrorists feel that they follow the Koran more than Muslims when the God is a God of mercy!!!

There is a saying .... if it's necessary, it's possible.

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

I think hope is overrated.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I think hope is overrated.

I think it is very important - it keeps people buoyant. Hope against all the odds may be a different thing....it can turn into faith.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Yesterday, after the vigil in Manchester, they applauded. Someone at the back started singing the Oasis song "Don't Look Back In Anger" and they all joined in. Oasis, of course, hailed from Manchester.

This was announced today

Principled
Topic starter
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

A friend sent me this link to the NY Times. I hadn't realised that there were two homeless men who rushed to help the injured and this was so lovely:

The tragedy may have also helped to heal a family rift. After hearing about what Mr. Parker had done, his mother reached out.

“This is my son and I am desperate to get in touch with him,” she wrote on the fund-raising page. “We have been estranged for a very long time, and I had no idea he was homeless. I am very proud of him, and I think he might need me right now.”

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

I think it is very important - it keeps people buoyant. Hope against all the odds may be a different thing....it can turn into faith.

And I think hope has got us into this situation where humankind might well be extinct in a decade or two. But we have discussed this before ....

(@zandalee)
Reputable Member

Oh my I hope not, think about the abilities we have as human for great change. I decided to join this forum to find like minded persons and see and hear different opinions. I am for sure learning that we all think differently.

Page 1 / 5
Share: