How Westminster is 'dealing with' i.e. hiding the homeless problem

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Shameful! They are obviously embarassed by the scale of homelessness in London and trying to hide the truth from tourists.

12 Replies
amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Since many of the homeless are incapable of working e.g. having addictive problems and/or mental health ones, I am suspicious of Westminster's solution in finding them work in a new location. It smacks of a cover up to me.

(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

Not sure this is a new initiative. It happened when I lived in Kensington more than 40 years ago.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Not sure this is a new initiative. It happened when I lived in Kensington more than 40 years ago.

That was for homeless families in temporary accommodation. This new scheme is to deal with the homeless issue. I don't really understand how it can work, i.e. does Westminster do some kind of deal with the borough they are sent to - a backhander? I am looking into it since I distrust in it being in the interests of the homeless e.g. do they have any say on the matter of being moved?

I fully recall the spikes that Westminster inserted e.g. around Westminster cathedral to stop the homeless from being able to sleep there so it feels a lot like they are being shifted to avoid embarassing the council e.g. to not be seen by tourists.

(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

It wasn't families being moved when I was in Kensington - it was the homeless, sleeping in boxes in the mews behind the buildings where I lived.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

It wasn't families being moved when I was in Kensington - it was the homeless, sleeping in boxes in the mews behind the buildings where I lived.

Oh I see...I did a google search and it just said homeless families. Do you know anymore about this, i.e. how it went - whether it was successful or not? I would contact the Kensington council but their reply may be a tad biased!

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Denial seems to be the way the government deal with most things.

(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

Oh I see...I did a google search and it just said homeless families. Do you know anymore about this, i.e. how it went - whether it was successful or not? I would contact the Kensington council but their reply may be a tad biased!

It was more than 40 years ago.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Amy what would you do about the homeless?

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Well first off I wouldn't move them off to another district without ensuring that they are OK with that! I am looking into this currently because I distrust Westminster (remember the spikes to stop them sleeping locally?). It smacks of hype/a PR exercise. There may be some truth in it but, for the most part, who would voluntarily want to be in another location away from their friends and everything they knew?

I don't claim to be a politician but you don't have to be one to know that something smells rotten here.

By the way, I have been street homeless (for 6 months) so I have enormous compassion for them.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

And this just goes to prove what I had been suspecting....

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

And what would you do, Sally?

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

And this just goes to prove what I had been suspecting....

No surprise there.

Share: