Lying or sitting

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
jungdreamer
Topic starter
(@jungdreamer)
Estimable Member

Using iPod to type this so excuse me if there are typos. I am just wondering what is recommended in reflexology treatments when it comes to the seating position of the client. I use a plinth and was thought to have the client sitting up so you can see her face. However mo st if my clients prefer to lie flat. It seems more relaxing for them. Just wondering what others do.

5 Replies
Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

Hi JD

I try and do what the clients like which is usually the Lafuma. But if I have a busy day of a mix of treatments, then its a couch but with pillows under the legs and the back up slightly. I think it would be better if the client was completely supine to help with relaxation, but I find that they keep wanting to look at what I'm doing. So having them slightly up, therefore they can see want's going on, and then switch off a bit once the cursoity (sp) is satisfied.

For reflexology and other types of bodywork, as long as the client is comfortable it's the therapists manner, technique and insight that are the important factors.

Best Wishes

RP

(@janetheal)
Trusted Member

Sitting!

Hi there. I would definitely go with sitting. The problem may be the plinth which, if it is flat, is not going to be the most comfortable. The problem with lying is that you don't properly see the client's reactions to what you are doing. They might be wincing away while you go on pressing that point! I also like the intimacy of the eye contact, e.g. when doing the solar plexus breathing exercises at the end. Don't know if other reflexologists feel the same?

Janet x

Ged
 Ged
(@ged)
Reputable Member

I go with what my clients preference is - and I have a mixture of those that like lying flat, those that like sitting bolt upright, and a few who have preferred a couch to a lafuma!

As RP has stated, so long as your client is comfortable, its the therapist & treatment which make the difference.

bbd
 bbd
(@bbd)
Trusted Member

I have both a couch and a chair but I much prefer to use the couch as I find clients relax deeper. The chair is useful when they can't lay flat or if they can't get up on the couch but I rarely use it

(@potion)
Estimable Member

I use a reflexology chair and most people seem to find this very comfortable. I was also taught that it's important to keep eye contact and I've found the chair generally works very well for both me and the client.

However, heavily pregnant women often don't want to recline too far and in those circumstances I've wished I had got a plinth so they can sit in an armchair instead. In those situations I've reclined them ever so slightly in the reflexology chair and have ended up sitting on cushions on the floor so I can get to their feet. Not the best!

Share: