Cough Vitamin B12 Metformin

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
orangeblossom
Topic starter
(@orangeblossom)
Noble Member

I have a cough on and off since the New Year. This was getting mega so I went to the docs. He gave me inhalers which did get rid of it but then it would return. I have had an Xray - clear. I have had a lung function test - awaiting results. I have discovered that Metformin which I take for my type2 diabetes can deplete the body of vitamin B12 and one of the lesser know symptoms is cough, also my prescription was doubled in the New Year as this has taken hold. My doc agreed to send me for a blood test for B12 but it falls with the range at 365 the range being 195 - 900. Other sources and countries even, say this range is far too low and by their reckoning I would be deficient. To this end I am supplementing myself. My cough has improved dramatically to what it was, but I will still get a fit of coughing every so often.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything else like?

3 Replies
amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Although I cannot answer your question, re. supplementation of Vit B12 - the B vitamins are synergistic, i.e. work together so just taking one of them will unbalance the intake of the other B vitamins.

Obviously you need to rectify your situation with a high Vit B12 intake. To boost supplementation further, do you know about foods that are high in Vit B12?

orangeblossom
Topic starter
(@orangeblossom)
Noble Member

Hi Amy

Thank you for your reply.

I fairly rattle with vitamins so I do get other B vitamins. Thanks for the link I've had a look. Once again because of this problem and Vitamin B12 I've scoured the internet looking at everything to do with the deficiency and foods that contain it.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

What are you doing to manage your diabetes? If you are only on Metformin, getting off it should be possible . That would kill 2 birds with one stone. Type 2 diabetes can be managed without medication and with the right lifestyle changes people have cured the insulin resistance that causes the problem

Share: