Chest infection

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@ms_moomin)
Eminent Member

Hi all
I know there is a separate thread about chest infection currently. I have had an upper respiratory infection for almost 2 weeks. I have finished a 7 day course of antiobiotics and am going back to the doctors tomorrow as the cough has cleared somewhat but my asthma has been playing up.
I have spoken to the GP over the phone today and I think I might be put on another course of antibiotics and possibly steriod tablets for the asthma. I have not normally used my inhaler regularly as I only notice asthma when I get a cold or a chest infection. I am all for natural health so does anyone have any thoughts on steroid tablets or long term use of asthma inhalers, if it is bad for you?
Thank you.

2 Replies
Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

If you have asthma using your steroid inhaler regularly is a good idea even if you don't need your reliever inhaler.

BUT my son has asthma, it was always quite mild and he has decided not to use inhalers at all. He is totally fine but every winter he gets at least one severe cold that goes to his chest and may need antibiotics and steroid tablets.

A cough can be a sign of uncontrolled asthma and a sign you need your inhalers...both of them. Taking the steroid inhaler regularly reduces the risk of asthma attacks and the systemic dose of steroid you get is very low so the risk of side effects is low.If my son had a cough I would be encouraging him to go back on his inhalers.

If you need regular oral steroids the side effects are much worse so the steroid inhaler is probably the best and safest option for you

Topic starter
(@ms_moomin)
Eminent Member

Thank you for the advice. My asthma is probably along the lines of your son's, in that I only notice it when I get a cold/virus and it goes to my chest.
I went back to my GP and my chest sounded clear. She didn't believe I needed to be on oral steroid tablets.
I've been using my inhalers every day and I think I am on the mend.

Asthma/chest infections are scary - my GP thinks I am having panic attacks so I need to try not to be such a hypochondriac.

Share: