Clear all

NLP training

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@calla-lily)
Illustrious Member

I'm currently studying for a degree in psychology, and have just become interested in NLP. I was wondering what the training entails, how much (on average) i should expect to pay and the recommended duration of courses. 🙂

Warmest wishes- calla lily x

12 Replies
Energylz
(@energylz)

Wow, that's a tricky one CL.

NLP covers many fields of expertise. I assume you're referring to NLP as a therapy and not business related NLP?

Many NLP courses run alongside Hypnotherapy courses so you tend to get one with the other. The prices and lengths of course can range from a few cheap days to a good intensive and expensive week (or done over a longer period of time in college type conditions).

Usually the cheaper courses are basic and not as suitable for doing therapy treatments and the more expensive ones tend to be very good. e.g. if you learn with someone like the Performance Partnership then you will get excellent training, but you'll have to pay for it.

I've looked at learning NLP and Hypno myself but, at present, can't afford it a good course.

I'm sure someone who's actually done the course(s) will be able to offer some better advice.

Love and Reiki Hugs

Topic starter
(@calla-lily)
Illustrious Member

Ta for your informative reply Giles, :hug: yes, its NLP as a therapy that i'm interested in.:)

Warmest wishes- Christine x

danielahH
(@danielahh)
Reputable Member

Hi Calla Lily
I am just finishing my NLP Master Practitioner (& Hypnosis) - final certification on Monday...
It was not cheap but the techniques in Neurological Repatterning I have learned are absolutely mind-blowing.
I am training with Christopher Howard's Leadership and Coaching Academy and I chose them after checking out many different courses with different trainers. There are so many out there, it is important to choose the one that most fulfills your requirements of how you would want to use the NLP tools.
All the Best
:nature-smiley-008:

(@sarah7)
Reputable Member

I trained with Paul McKenna four years ago and the cost, from memory, was about £1000 for the week. Not bad considering Richard Bandler was with us each day for an hour or so.

I haven't done the Christopher Howard NLP training but did do his Breakthrough for Success which uses many elements of NLP and it was outstanding, so assume the rest of his courses will be. Think it was a bit pricey though.

(@jay_1611053279)
Estimable Member

Hi calla lilly

I cannot recommend Wilf Proudfoot highly enough. He is based in Scarborough, although has worked all around the world & a lot in America. He is really reasonable with his prices. The only problem is that he is now in his mid 80's and will not continue forever. He has just retired from his (almost lifetime, i think!) post of being the Chair of the UK Guild of Hypnotist Examiners. If you want something that is fancy & sophisticated, then his courses may not be for you, but if you want the best hands-on (& fun!)learning experience from (in my opinion) one of the best teachers of Hypnotherapy/NLP around, then he is your man!!!
I trained with him last year & he changed my life. This is a statement that I think all of his students would make.

Good luck with whatever you choose 🙂

~jay~

Topic starter
(@calla-lily)
Illustrious Member

Thank you for your replies danielahH,:hug: Sarah7 :hug: and ~jay~ :hug: its much appreciated.:)

Bannick
(@bannick)
Famed Member

Most courses take between 5 and 8 days, sometimes consecutively or split into a series of weekends. The going rate tends to be somewhere between £900 and £2000 for the decent courses, I'm not saying there aren't any that cost more or that there aren't cheaper ones that are good too, I'm just going off the ones that I know are good courses.

CharisNLP
(@charisnlp)
Reputable Member

Hi, I run a training school in Scotland (though I did also train with Wlif Proudfoot, amongst others, many years ago, and he is LOVELY). The INLPTA training is 15 days minimum. Many places will do this as two courses - a hypnosis element leading to a diploma in clinical hypnosis and an NLP element, which by itself would get you a business type NLP certification. Together, you would get the full INLPTA certification. I have to say I think INLPTA is the most thorough qualification around (and over the years, I've done a few, LOL) Dr Susi Strang in Co Durham is excellent, and the Performance Partnership in London is good (though pricey) Their training is only 7 days, so it isn't INLPTA. New Oceans also gets a good name. I wouldn't do a training shorter than 7 days, certainly, as ANLP won't recognise it (which is a pity as it means they don't accept Wilf Proudfoot's course.) I'm new here, so not sure how much promotion of training providers you are allowed to do on the forums, but PM me if you want more info. I'm happy to give you any advice I can. Joyce

Energylz
(@energylz)

Hi Charis,

As a general rule on the forum, you are permitted to provide links and information relating to websites/organisations that are relevant to the topic and that you are not associated with yourself; and you are not permitted to advertise or promote your own services or website in your posts.

So, if you have links to the various organisations where Call Lilly may research for herself about the differences and the courses then, by all means, feel free to provide them.

Love and Reiki Hugs

(@anotherjen)

Hi Calla,

There are many different trainers and courses out there, so I think it benefits anyone to get clear on what it is that you want to get from the course. I suspect that you'll find that most practitioners really enjoyed their training and would recommend who they trained with, so you'll probably get a whole host of recommendation of I trained with company/trainer x and highly recommend them which doesn't necessarily help you narrow down the list of options of who is the right fit for you. You'll potentially find many different attitudes towards how long courses "should" be etc. Personally, I recommend that you find the one that's the best fit for what you want out of it.

You already have said that you're interested in it from a therapeutic perspective rather than a business, teaching, medical etc. You may also want to consider other aspects of training that may be important to you. Are you restricted by location, can you travel anywhere within your country or for that matter the world for the right course?

Do you have a preference on class size - there are some trainings that have 100's of people attending (normally with qualified trainers as assistants on hand as well). The benefits of this is that most NLP trainings are very interactive with lots of exercises, with a large group you are working with a different person each time. This means that you have loads of exposure to different peoples "maps of the world" so you are forced quickly to be flexible with your approach. Other companies offer smaller trainings (I think the smallest I've ever heard running is with 2 people!) this means you get very individual attention from the main trainer(s) but you don't get as much experience of working with different people.

Course dates - as already mentioned some courses will be modular, maybe over several weekends, others are one continuous block. Dependent on your circumstances this may be relevant to you.

I've played on many courses and have got lots from each one, yes there are some trainers who's skills I admire more than others but that doesn't mean to say that one of the other courses is not a better fit for you.

There are many different nlp practice groups and evening events around, which often have an invited speaker or guest trainer running an evening. The cost for these events varies around the country - largely due to room hire etc. Some of the eveing events are free if its a promo rather than a regular group otherwise, the cheapest I've ever seen is £5, while the most expensive was around £75 (but that was in London and a one off evening with Richard Bandler - one of the co-creator and the first evening event in Europe I know of him doing in many years). The average cost is around £15. This may be a perfect opportunity to experience a trainer before booking a longer course with them (and have fun in the process). There are two places I suggest you look to find your local practice group. The first is the website where you'll find the most comprehensive list of practice groups that I know about for the UK.

Hope that helps

Jen

Topic starter
(@calla-lily)
Illustrious Member

Many thanks to all the further helpful, informative replies and links since i last posted, :grouphug: its much appreciated.:)

(@masha-b)
Noble Member

Hi Calla Lily,

Whichever NLP school you use, I would recommend that you don't go for the abbreviated version of the NLP practitioner course (e.g. 7 days instead of the full 20 days), not only because of the depth of learning and practical skills, but also because it may restrict you in the future if you wanted to go on to join various professional organisations which will require you to have completed the whole 120 hours.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the [url]Northern School of NLP [/url]in Lancashire (many students call it "Hogwarts" for the magic that it offers :)), which has been endorsed by one of the "grandfathers" of NLP Robert Dilts, who said: The Northern School of NLP is the only NLP institute in the world that I know of that places so much emphasis on the generative engine of NLP: Modelling.
It is a place where you can "create" NLP rather than learn "about" it or even just "do" it. (But I accept that I am very, very biased, obviously!)

Their practitioner courses are in the region of £1750, but I think they may have some special offers for the summer intensive starting in July.

If you are based in London, other good schools I know are The Performance Partnership, ITS and Beeleaf Training (they are likely to be more expensive than the Northern School).

If you are not in a rush to do the training immediately, I would recommend that you attend the [url]NLP conference [/url]in November to get the taste of different speakers/trainers/presenters and the possibilities that NLP offers.

Masha

Share: