Do you have difficu...

Notifications
Clear all

Do you have difficulty operating petrol pumps?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@sammy2191)

Hey everyone,

I am a Product Design student currently in my final year of study. It involves seeking out a problem and finding an innovative solution to that problem. A problem that has taken my interest is the concern that many people who suffer with arthritis find it difficult to refuel their cars, both unscrewing the petrol cap and squeezing the handle for a prolonged period of time. I’m trying to gather some information from people who may have experienced the problem first hand.

I’m interested in any information that you may be able to give me that may help.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

4 Replies
CarolineN
(@carolinen)
Famed Member

Hi there Sammy - welcome to Healthypages 🙂 Interesting question.

Yes I have problems, especially squeezing the handle on the nozzle for long enough to fill the tank. I have CFS and fibromyalgia and seem to have lost a lot of muscle strength, especially keeping a group of muscles contracted for a prolonged period. I have to keep changing hands. The petrol cap is OK if I don't tighten it enough.

I give up on wheel nuts if I have a puncture though - I just stand and look helpless in that situation 😮 - used to be able to do that easily :rolleyes:.

Topic starter
(@sammy2191)

Hey Caroline – thankyou! 🙂

Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I have been researching around the problem for a while now and it seems as though you’re not alone. Lots of people have the same problem; I’m just surprised nothing has been done about it before now.

I have been emailing the main petrol companies to see what services they have to offer their customers. They have all be very good in getting back to me, yet the only service they seem to provide is the service call. However, this doesn’t allow people to be independent. It also isn’t run at all stations and at all times which is disappointing. Do you think that there is anything in particular that could make the process any easier? I’m thinking of maybe a simple product that people could just leave in their car and use as required. Would love to hear your thoughts! 🙂

(@ravenstar)
Estimable Member

Hey everyone,

I am a Product Design student currently in my final year of study. It involves seeking out a problem and finding an innovative solution to that problem. A problem that has taken my interest is the concern that many people who suffer with arthritis find it difficult to refuel their cars, both unscrewing the petrol cap and squeezing the handle for a prolonged period of time. I’m trying to gather some information from people who may have experienced the problem first hand.

I’m interested in any information that you may be able to give me that may help.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

In regard to unscrewing the petrol cap, how about an invention that's similar to the a jar lid gripper that's surrounded with rubber? I sure could use something like that....those caps are hard to get off in the winter. 🙂

hom
(@hom)
Reputable Member

Hi, I'm surprised you haven't had more replies but - a resounding yes! Holding a petrol pump can be really difficult for me- and I don't have any diagnosed health problems. Perhaps it's just that I'm a woman! I joke about it and say they must've been designed by a man. They're far too heavy and take far too much grip/pressure to keep them squeezed enough for the petrol to flow. In fact the whole design of a petrol forecourt isn't 'woman friendly' in my view.
The car petrol cap isn't quite as hard but I'm sure the design could also be improved.
HTH Hom

Share: