What's the history ...

Notifications
Clear all

What's the history behind Spiritual Healing?

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
14.9 K Views
Topic starter
(@azalia)
Illustrious Member

I thought it might be interesting to share with you the development of Spiritual Healing, right up to the present day. As you read through the history, it's easy to see how many people associate Spiritual Healing with 'faith-healing' or otherwise connected with religion. The origins of SH are definitely in religion, but it really is fascinating to see how it has evolved-get stuck in! (or print it off to read at your leisure! See [url]printable version[/url])

12 Replies
Topic starter
(@azalia)
Illustrious Member

RE: What's the history behind Spiritual Healing?

What's the history behind Healing?
Despite the recent increase in popularity, healing in one form or another has been around for many thousands of years. Hands-on healing can be traced back to the ancient Egyptian and Babylonian civilisations where Priests used it as part of the service available in temples of worship in Egypt, Greece and the Orient. By 1000BC the Egyptian, Imhotep became so famous as a healer that on his death he was deified as the Egyptian God of healing. The symbolism of snakes that appears in the temples of Imhotep reoccur in the Greek Caduceus, a symbol of healing showing snakes entwined around a staff, that is still used to the present day.

Healing and Religion
Since humankind has walked the earth, there has always been some belief in a higher power or supreme energy from which we ourselves have originated. The Native American Shamans called this 'The Great Spirit' or 'The 'Great Mystery' and the Kahunas from Polynesia acknowledged their own higher self, through which they believed they had access to this Source (1). Many religions call this supreme force 'God' and religions such as Judaism attributed their healing gifts to direct input from this source. Jesus is one of the most well known healers of all time, and irrespective of different views as to who and what he was, the recorded healings represent three years of extraordinary and far-reaching influence.

During the Middle Ages and Renaissance, treatment of the sick was largely in the hands of the physician and Priests were only allowed to offer spiritual guidance rather than spiritual healing.

Religion and a New Perspective on Healing Disease: Christian Science
Following a chronic illness Mary Baker Eddy came to the conclusion that the basis of all disease was psychosomatic and later wrote 'Science and Health' stating that disease was an illusion and could be eradicated by the mind. In 1879 Mary Baker Eddy established the first Christian Science Church.

-Healing in the East: Forty three years later in Japan, Mikao Usui completed his shûgyô training (the 21-day meditation on kurama yama) and discovered a vast omnipotent spiritual energy that can be channelled for healing. Usui named his healing technique Usui Reiki Ryôhô Gakkai (2)

A Spiritual Approach to Healing
By the 1950s there was a renewed interest in 'psychosomatic' illnesses that attracted the attention of the clergy, some of whom were beginning to campaign for a revival of their own healing mission. The Churches' Council of Healing was set up with a Commission to investigate the subject. One of those investigated by the Commission was Harry Edwards.

At this time Spiritual Healing was being explored through Spiritualism, being more easily accepted if it was being practiced under a religion in Church. After attending a Spiritualist meeting, Harry Edwards found he could help assist people through giving healing when orthodox medicine and drugs were unable to help. In 1954 Harry Edwards created a national healing organisation, the NFSH (National Federation of Spiritual Healers). The NFSH was initially born out of an attempt to create a strong body to state the need for healing and the need to support conventional treatment- despite scepticism from the British medical Association and the Churches' Council.

A Modern Science and Healing
During the past few decades, science has advanced to such a level that it has begun to prove that there may be such a thing as 'life-force'. F

Principled
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Dear Azalia,

What an interesting thread - and you obviously spent ages researching and preparing it. Thanks very much.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that you had included Mary Baker Eddy as she certainly made a huge contribution in line of pioneers! The information you copied on her is not terribly accurate, so I thought, for anyone who is interested, I'd give a bit more detail.

She certainly suffered from chronic illness for most of her 45 years, but it was a healing of an injury caused by a fall on the ice in Feb. 1866 that was her "falling apple" in this revelation of Christ-healing. I'll let her describe it herself:

"St. Paul writes: "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace." This knowledge came to me in an hour of great need; and I give it to you as death-bed testimony to the daystar that dawned on the night of material sense. This knowledge is practical, for it wrought my immediate recovery from an injury caused by an accident, and pronounced fatal by the physicians. On the third day thereafter, I called for my Bible, and opened it at Matthew ix. 2. As I read, the healing Truth dawned upon my sense; and the result was that I rose, dressed myself, and ever after was in better health than I had before enjoyed. That short experience included a glimpse of the great fact that I have since tried to make plain to others, namely, Life in and of Spirit; this Life being the sole reality of existence. I learned that mortal thought evolves a subjective state which it names matter, thereby shutting out the true sense of Spirit. Per contra, Mind and man are immortal; and knowledge gained from mortal sense is illusion, error, the opposite of Truth; therefore it cannot be true." (Miscellanneous Writings p. 24)

Also, she did not teach and practice healing through the power of the human mind at all, but through yielding our mortal thinking to God, the divine Mind.

"So-called mortal mind or the mind of mortals being the remote, predisposing, and the exciting cause of all suffering, the cause of disease must be obliterated through Christ in divine Science, or the so-called physical senses will get the victory." (Science and Health p 230)

"What is the cardinal point of the difference in my metaphysical system? This: that by knowing the unreality of disease, sin, and death, you demonstrate the allness of God. This difference wholly separates my system from all others. The reality of these so-called existences I deny, because they are not to be found in God, and this system is built on Him as the sole cause. It would be difficult to name any previous teachers, save Jesus and his apostles, who have thus taught." (Unity of Good p. 9)

For anyone who would like to learn more, there's a short biography of Mary Baker Eddy on the Science and Health web-site and also a more detailed one from the Library that carries her name in Boston, MA:

Meet the Author (a short bio)

Her Story (slightly more in-depth)
[DLMURL] http://www.marybakereddylibrary.org/marybakereddy/bio.jhtml [/DLMURL]

Thanks again Azalia,

Love and peace,

Judy

Topic starter
(@azalia)
Illustrious Member

Hi Judy, many thanks for filling me in. She did indeed make a huge contribution, and the ideas that she presents in her books are very similar to the works of Louise Hay, Wayne Dyer, Abraham Hicks and other 'metaphysical' authors.In fact, it was researching the potted history that made me pick up Science & Health again...I'll email you soon x

PS- if you think the info misrepresents Mary BE, then I call let the NFSH know so they can update the info next time they do a re-print;)

(@elyezual)
Honorable Member

Azalia, good idea. There is evidence that spiritual healing goes back as far as science can date human origin. But I believe that spiritual healing goes back pretty much forever (it has always been).

Love and Light
Elyzual.

Principled
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Azalia,

You are a sweetheart! [sm=1kis.gif]

If you could be bothered, it would be so much better coming from one of the NFSH's own members than from me or someone else! What troubled me was the suggestion that it was just mind-over-matter, when that's the one thing it is not!

Many of her ideas have been picked up by later metaphysical authors. At a recent MBS exhibition someone was talking to us at our stand and we asked if he had Science and Health "Oh yes, I base all my lectures on it." Well, I couldn't help wondering whether he gave Mary Baker Eddy any credit! I was once pleased to see an MBE quote about angels as an HP member's signature (but with no credit). When I remarked on it, she said she'd found it on an internet Angels site, with "author unknown" against the quote. [&o]

Returning to the metaphysical authors, I believe that Louise Hay's mother was a Christian Science practitioner, but having looked through LH's books, it is not the same - some similarities, but that main element of the Christ is missing.

You're a star Azalia!

Love and peace,

Judy

(@shane)

hi
i use two spiritualist mediums in my paranormal team that i run, theyalso do Spiritualist Healing. not sure how this healing works but i have seen it work at first hand. not sure if any of you know them Steven & Elaine Brame.

Editto add signature

(@oakapple)
Illustrious Member

Hiya Azalia. I belong to a number of healing groups, Incuding Christian Mystic , Hindu Mystic , and Spiritual .

Although books give invaluable information most Healing Groups base there techniques on meditation and not information. It's generally about the healers "Intent " not knowledge.

Most Swamis are under-educated , and dedicate themselves to their religious beliefs.So as long as your intentions are from your heart and soul, healing energies can be radiated and directed.

Education for the masses is relatively new........sometimes the answers come from within.

Love , Light , and Healing

Oakapple

(@sylistra)
Eminent Member

Hi
I am an SNU (spiritualist National Union) spiritualist healer.
As pointed out in your first post. Healing has been happening forever regardless of religion and beliefs.

I am with a group of healers who work in the community, from a local library, treating whoever feels drawn to us, which are many, we do not discuss religion, unless they do.

The simple term is that it comes from spirit (god , spirit, universal energies.) throught spirit ( the Healers spirit) to spirit (the patient)

As we know healing cannot be psychosamatic when babies, children and animals benefit from it.
And that distance and absent healing work just as well whether the recipient is aware or not that it is being sent.

My husband gave a good analogy to a man who was questioning about healing reiki etc.

it's like having a big tank of water (healing energy) with lots of pipes coming from it. going to all the different healers.
The tank of energy is always full no matter how much is used.
the same energy is available and used by all healers. It's just their way of opening the taps that differs.

After that it is the ability of the individual healer to Attune (turn the tap) to the source (tank) and to blend with the patient - esspecially in contact healing.

I know as the healing practitioners you all are - who posted before me - you all know this and more.

I thought it might be useful for others who read this link

love and light
sylistra

(@saideepak)

Spiritual healing is an important science that helps people to overcome problems that have their root cause in the spiritual realm. However unless the principles of this subtle science are understood and adhered to, spiritual healers can be negatively impacted by practicing spiritual healing. The most sustainable form of spiritual healing is enabling the person in trouble to begin and continue their spiritual practice.
1. What is Spiritual Healing?

Spiritual research done by Spiritual Science Research Foundation (SSRF) has shown that up to 80% of problems in our lives have their root in the spiritual dimension. Spiritual healing as defined by SSRF is overcoming the spiritual root causes of problems by spiritual means.
2. Difference between symptoms displayed and the root cause

It is important to differentiate the symptoms displayed by a person and the basic root cause. We can better understand this by an example.
Let’s say John throws a bucket of water on the floor in Jane’s room when she is not there. He then hides himself to watch Jane’s reaction on her return. When Jane enters the room she searches high and low for the cause but cannot find the reason for the water on the floor. She then goes on to wipe the floor. John lets out an evil chuckle under his breath at Jane’s plight and ignorance about the root cause.
This is a typical analogy of how a spiritual reason such as an attack by a ghost (John) can cause a problem in life such as a heart condition (i.e. the water on the floor). Due to the fact that we do not have the sixth sense vision to see or perceive the ghost, our search for the cause of, for example, the chest pain remains limited only to the physical or psychological dimension.
3. What does Spiritual Healing heal?

We can now appreciate that in cases of heart disease resulting from a spiritual root cause, medical or surgical treatment can only alleviate the consequent damage done by the spiritual root cause. Thus by treating the heart condition by surgery or medicine, medical sciences can at best bring about a symptomatic cure. The condition however reoccurs as the root cause, for example, the ghost, is not taken care of.
Spiritual healing is about diagnosis and removal of the spiritual root cause of the problem, that is, the ghost in the above example of heart disease. It could also be used for stopping a potential problem happening in the first place.
Though advanced spiritual healing remedies can also revert the physical damage done, in most cases it is advisable to use physical measures (treatment) to alleviate the physical damage (i.e. the water in our example above). This is because one would have to use a lot of spiritual energy to achieve what can be done with comparatively lower input at a physical level. This is considering that spiritual energy is invaluable and extremely difficult to acquire compared to any physical effort.
It is for this reason that the Spiritual Science Research Foundation (SSRF) emphasises that only the appropriate level of energy be used for treating a problem. So for example, if a person is having eczema due to a spiritual root cause, it needs to be treated at a physical level with medicines and the spiritual root cause needs to be alleviated by spiritual remedies.
4. Basic principles behind spiritual healing

a. Principle behind diagnosis

Diagnosis of a problem that has its root cause in the spiritual realm can only be done with one’s sixth sense (ESP). The accuracy of a diagnosis can vary considerably and is a function of 2 basic factors:
·The person’s sixth sense (ESP) ability and spiritual level versus the strength of the affecting entity or ghost (demon, devil, spirit, etc.)
·Destiny that decides the duration of sufferings
·Resolve of the guiding Saint of the spiritual healer
b. Principle behind any type of spiritual healing

The following is the principle behind any type of spiritual healing treatment practiced anywhere in the world.
Basically by applying spiritual healing remedies we try to:
·Decrease the subtle basic raja-tama components caused by the ghosts
·Increase the subtle basic sattva component
·Try to remove or at least decrease the layer of black energy created by ghosts which is inherently raja-tama.
·(Sattva (purity, Divinity), raja (action, passion) and tama (ignorance, inertia) are basic subtle components entire Creation is made of and which modern sciences have not yet ‘discovered’)
5. Generic types of spiritual healing methods

There are two generic methods of spiritual healing. These are the two choices that apply to all of us who have a problem that has its root cause in the spiritual realm.
1.Spiritual remedies: This is where either someone else or the affected person himself performs a certain specific act to alleviate a certain problem at a spiritual level.
2.Spiritual practice: When a person does spiritual practice that conforms to the five basic principles of spiritual practice he builds his own ability to protect himself against harmful elements in the spiritual dimension
The first method of healing mostly brings about symptomatic cure and sometimes cure of the spiritual root cause, while the second brings about cure of the root cause of a spiritual problem.
6. Modes of spiritual healing

The energy being channelised for healing is brought about through:
1.Use of an inanimate object such as holy water or holy ash.
2.Through a person
oThrough a person (generally the person has to be above 50% spiritual level)
oThrough a Saint i.e. a person above the 70% spiritual level.
o(Here spiritual level is defined on a scale from 0% to 100% where inanimate objects would be at 0% and a God Realised Soul, i.e. someone Who has merged with God Principle, would be at 100%)
Depending on the mode used, the mechanism of action, i.e. how energy is channelised, changes.
7. Importance of spiritual level of the healer in treating others
The spiritual level of spiritual healers is the all important aspect which defines:
·How they are able to treat others
·What healing methods they can use and
·The types of Universal energies they have access to
8. Types of healing
Examples of various spiritual healing techniques that are commonly used to heal others can be:
·Chanting the Lord’s name: Chanting for others is possible only when one is at the minimum spiritual level of 37% and is the easiest way to help another person.
·Prayers and surrender: When we pray we acknowledge our lack of ability to solve a problem. This surrender of the problem also helps in reducing our ego and therefore a temporary rise in spiritual level. As a result, we are able to access energy of the mind which sends energy behind our prayer for others. Hence our prayers to heal others work.
·Other Spiritual healing techniques: Spiritual healing techniques such as Pranic healing and Reiki actually use the energy of the mind augmented by the Universal Energy of Will. This type of spiritual healing can only be done by a person around the 50% spiritual level. They do not access any universal vital energy. Vital energy only exists at an individual level and not at a Universal level. When one has access to energy of the mind one is able to control the vital energy in the vital body.
A person who is below the spiritual level of 50% technically cannot heal using these methods. This is because they do not have enough access to Universal energies. In case where a person below the spiritual level of 50% is able to do seemingly miraculous cures by Pranic healing or Reiki, invariably it is ghosts healing through them. Ghosts use these healers to affect society. While there may be temporary relief or miraculous cure from a problem, ghosts use the faith people have in the healer to infuse people with black energy and lead people astray.
9. What is the catalyst to channelise spiritual energies?

The main deciding factor as to whether a person has the ability to heal is based on the amount of spiritual practice he/she has done and the corresponding spiritual level. This spiritual practice can either be of this lifetime or a previous lifetime.
The healer’s desire to heal is a secondary factor that helps hone a spiritual healer’s ability to heal.
10. How will one know if one needs spiritual healing at all?

Spiritual research conducted by the Spiritual Science Research Foundation (SSRF) over the past 20 years has revealed that 80% of problems in life have their root cause in the spiritual dimension. Thus these problems can be overcome completely only by complementing worldly efforts with remedies in the spiritual dimension. This explains the overwhelming importance of spiritual healing in solving problems in one’s life.
It is difficult to decide with the help of intellect whether one needs to augment spiritual practice with other spiritual remedies. Only Saints and people with strong extrasensory perception (ESP) or sixth sense can really say with authority whether a spiritual healing remedy is needed because only they can diagnose whether the problem has a spiritual root cause.
However one can also make a decision based on their intellect if the following are observed:
·Problems that do not go away despite best of worldly efforts.
·Chronic or recurrent problems with no apparent cause.
·Problems affecting many people in a family simultaneously.
·Problems that exacerbate around new moon and full moon.
·Problems that are alleviated at least partially when the affected person is exposed to a spiritually positive environment like being in company of Saints.
So in summary it is advisable to do spiritual practice, a type of spiritual remedy, on a daily basis.
11. Can harm come to one in anyway, if spiritual healing is done incorrectly?

The short answer is - yes. Following are some of the ways it can be harmful:
Healers that are after fame and fortune and of lower spiritual level are most likely to be targeted by ghosts. Higher level ghosts use these defects and attachments in the spiritual healer to affect and possess them. The possession is insidious and intangible and the healer would not have the faintest clue that he is being controlled by a ghost. Hence it goes unnoticed. Once they have possessed the healer, they initially alleviate symptoms of the persons treated by the healer through their spiritual strength to get their faith but also to infuse black energy into the treated persons.
If the healer does not have an advanced sixth sense he may not be able to discern the difference between positive and negative in the subtle world. Hence while the healer may think he is channelising energy from spirit guides he is actually healing with black energy of ghosts posing as spirit guides. So even though the initial symptoms may be cured to gain the patient's faith, the long term effects are quite damaging.
12. Who should we heal and when should we heal?

At the outset we need to understand two important principles.
·The best type of spiritual healing is when a person does spiritual practice for oneself. In this way, one builds up one's own spiritual reserves so that he is less prone to attack from the spiritual dimension. Doing regular spiritual practice is also far more sustainable as a protective measure than being spiritually healed using some form of spiritual healing. As much as possible spiritual healers need to encourage people to begin and be regular with their spiritual practice, even if they continue to come for healing. Spiritual practice complements the spiritual healer's efforts in removing the problem.
·Spiritual growth to realise God is our main purpose in life. Accordingly if all our actions, spiritual healing or otherwise are aligned to assist ourselves and others to progress spiritually we benefit maximally.
Given the above, spiritual healers' time and energy is best spent when they help other people to overcome any spiritual obstacles that are inhibiting them from practising Spirituality. In this way they are helping people grow spiritually. From a purely spiritual perspective, it is best that one does not use spiritual healing energy on people that have no intention of starting spiritual practice. The reason for this is that unless a person does spiritual practice to augment the spiritual healing, it at best brings about temporary relief as the affecting entity can cause harm in other areas of life or the person can be affected repeatedly by other entities. Spiritual healers have access to Universal energy appropriate to their spiritual level. Along with this comes a responsibility to help people to grow spiritually which is being in alignment with our purpose of life. If this is not the case a spiritual healer begins to stagnate and invariably deteriorates in his spiritual level and can potentially be used by ghosts.
It is advisable not to get emotionally carried away healing people just for the sake of healing. If it is in a person’s destiny to go through a certain amount of suffering then all we do is alleviate it temporarily. But the person still has to go through the required quota of suffering. Instead, it would be spiritually more correct if our intention was to heal a person so he gets the faith that the spiritual dimension does exist and this in turn inspires him to begin his spiritual practice.
In summary

Spiritual healing is practised by many people worldwide. Only by understanding the principles and the spiritual perspective on ‘who’ and ‘when’ to heal can we be sure to be in alignment with the purpose of life. The best spiritual healing gift that one can give others is assisting them in beginning their spiritual practice so that they can help themselves. This is akin to giving a person a fishing rod and making him independent as opposed to spoon-feeding him and giving him a fish.
For more information, do visit -

(@louloudog)

Hi

I don't want to draw away from the essence of the thread which I have found really interesting. I am not a healer nor did I really have a great deal understanding, but I received some healing recently and it really was amazing, through the whole hour I felt myself changing, stress just lifted, old seated issues came up and we worked through them and seem to have just gone. And since this positivity just seems to be with me all the time. When I asked the healer about the concept and the process he said that it was just something he done which his grandmother used to do before and he picked it up from he. He was reiki trained but said his gift was just there a and nat would still be the without. He said that he was also a trained councillor which helps with personal issues that arise, which it did. He said from the beginning that he was not a member of any professional body regarding healing and that I needed to be aware of this before we agreed an appointment. There was no charge for the session he said that for him charging went against what he was trying to do.

Could I ask if someone has to be a member of a professional body, if so why. And is healing normally free or do you generally pay for it. I found this person by word of mouth and he did come highly recommended.

Loulou xx

(@shivamsarah)

I thought it might be interesting to share with you the development of Spiritual Healing, right up to the present day. As you read through the history, it's easy to see how many people associate Spiritual Healing with 'faith-healing' or otherwise connected with religion. The origins of SH are definitely in religion, but it really is fascinating to see how it has evolved-get stuck in! (or print it off to read at your leisure! See [url]printable version[/url])

I am new to this group and did see that this was posted a long time ago but just wanted add something that I thought was interesting when I read an article about science finding an ancient body that suffered from cancer. Upon mentioning this to a friend of mine, he replied that, “Yes, that it is true, some people did have cancer long ago, but only those people who chose not to go to an alchemist”. When I expressed disbelief about his statement, he replied that long ago, alchemists were able to cure people of all forms of diseases by using alchemy. Then, he rapidly listed names and dates. He seemed quite knowledgeable and genuine and gave some insights into Alchemy and Spirituality....

(@laurendaniels)

Spiritual Healing is complementary to orthodox medicine; it must not be considered as an alternative - Via Google

Share: