Clear all

To All NLP Practitioners

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@deedeem)
Eminent Member

I m considering doing a course in NLP at some point but keep seeing courses for NLP practitioners and NLP Coaches. Up until now, I haven't managed to work out the difference.

Can anyone explain?

7 Replies
(@masha-b)
Noble Member

NLP Practitioner course should be around 20 days in length (there are some "fast-track" options but I would personally avoid them like plague) and should cover all aspects of neurolinguistic programming including sensory acuity, state management rapport building, representational systems, modelling, language patterns, a range of common techniques such as "fast phobia cure" and "new history generator", possibly some Ericksonian hypnosis and Time Line Therapy etc, etc, etc. "NLP Coaching" courses will focus on the elements specifically related to life/executive coaching, with fewer "therapy" elements and possibly less personal development.

Unless you want to stick exclusively to coaching, I would suggest doing a full NLP Practitioner training with a reputable company, my favourite is the [url]Northern School of NLP [/url]in Lancashire, but I see that you are in London, where the good schools include [url]PPD Learning [/url]and [url]Beeleaf Training [/url](the latter with bigger focus on therapeutic aspects of NLP).

If you want to go into executive coaching, then [url]The Performance Solution[/url] in Wiltshire have an excellent training programme for that.

Masha

Topic starter
(@deedeem)
Eminent Member

NLP Practitioner course should be around 20 days in length (there are some "fast-track" options but I would personally avoid them like plague) and should cover all aspects of neurolinguistic programming including sensory acuity, state management rapport building, representational systems, modelling, language patterns, a range of common techniques such as "fast phobia cure" and "new history generator", possibly some Ericksonian hypnosis and Time Line Therapy etc, etc, etc. "NLP Coaching" courses will focus on the elements specifically related to life/executive coaching, with fewer "therapy" elements and possibly less personal development.

Unless you want to stick exclusively to coaching, I would suggest doing a full NLP Practitioner training with a reputable company, my favourite is the [url]Northern School of NLP [/url]in Lancashire, but I see that you are in London, where the good schools include [url]PPD Learning [/url]and [url]Beeleaf Training [/url](the latter with bigger focus on therapeutic aspects of NLP).

If you want to go into executive coaching, then [url]The Performance Solution[/url] in Wiltshire have an excellent training programme for that.

Masha

Thanks Masha B for your in-depth answer - that helps a lot.

I read somewhere that you can't practice professionally as an NLP practitioner, is that right?

Just out of curiosity, could you say why would you choose to avoid the 7 day training?

(@masha-b)
Noble Member

Thanks Masha B for your in-depth answer - that helps a lot.

I read somewhere that you can't practice professionally as an NLP practitioner, is that right?

Just out of curiosity, could you say why would you choose to avoid the 7 day training?

Hi deedeem,

I am not sure where you read that you cannot practise professionally as an NLP practitioner - at the moment you can certainly do it, however with the future introduction of tighter guidelines for Health Professionals it may become illegal to practice any kind of therapeutic technique without going through registration with appropriate bodies, etc. This is partly the reason that after completing my NLP Practitioner course 10 years ago and Master Practitioner 5 years ago I have also now done a two year postgraduate level diploma in Neurolinguistic Psychotherapy, (hopefully) leading to UKCP accreditation for which I am applying this year - it did turn out to be a wonderful course, so wasn't just a "jumping through hoops" exercise. I passionately believe in the value of NLP as a healing tool and want it to be better known and acknowledged among health professionals, and I hope that I will be able to better contribute to that recognition.

In terms of 7 day courses - I wonder if you would prefer to be operated on by a surgeon who's done his 5 years (or longer?) medical degree, or would you opt for one who's done an accelerated "quickie" version over one year? 😉
NLP can be seen as a bit like "surgery for the mind" - I would like mine to be operated on by those with plenty of knowledge and hands-on experience! 🙂

Hope this is useful

Masha

David100351
(@david100351)
Reputable Member

I think it's likely that you won't be able to call yourself a psychotherapist, or whatever, without having the requisite registrations, in the same way, for instance, that you are not allowed to call yourself a policeman or a pharmacist, or impersonate a medical doctor. However, you will still be able to work with others.

Counselling came about when Carl Rogers was looking for a name to describe what he did, which did not fall foul of the american psychologists and psychiatrists. If that title becomes "reserved" and its difficult to see how that could happen - one of the reaasons Rogers chose it, IMHO - we can go on calling ourselves Certified Master Practitioners of NLP without any danger at all. I can't believe that "personal coach" or "personal NLP trainer" will become restricted titles, either.

The HPC is about protecting vulnerable members of the public, and giving NHS services a standardised list of practitioners to choose from: it remains to see how that will work in this area. A lot of therapists, myself included (although I'm BACP accredited at present) are not interested in working in that part of the market, anyway.

Topic starter
(@deedeem)
Eminent Member

No, I wouldn't call myself a psychotherapist - I wouldn't even feel comfortable with that title anyway. For now, I have the opportunity to listen in on a practitioner course (which has been recorded) online so this will help me to decide if I want to go ahead with the training or not. Thanks for your input.

(@masha-b)
Noble Member

Which NLP training company has the course been recorded with? If it doesn't grip you, please do bear in mind that NLP training provision is very variable in the UK - some training schools are excellent, and others are very, very poor, so if you don't like what you hear it may not be a good representation of "real" NLP.

With regards to regulation, I think if you called yourself "coach" rather than therapist, then the requirements will be less strict, but I am aware that even a few years ago when I did my coaching course the Coaching Federation was already tightening up on issues such as supervision, CPD etc.

Masha

Topic starter
(@deedeem)
Eminent Member

Which NLP training company has the course been recorded with?
Masha

It's with NLP World. They're based in Bighton.

Share: