Notifications
Clear all

Home Study Course - Please Check

Angel
Topic starter
(@angel)
Noble Member

Hiya everyone

Two weeks ago, my HCA (Health Course Assistant) Home Study Course arrived along with the first 2 assignments. After reading the introductions and what is expected, I spent the next week reading Study skills books to bring me up to speed on how Uni's like their essays set out.

A couple of days ago I began the reserach for the first assignments.

1. Healthy Diets (in depth about food groups, nutrients etc.)
2. Eating Disorders.

I must admit, I did wonder why a HCA course would want you to learn this stuff in so much depth, I thought First Aid or A & P would of been the first thing, but these people are the pro's so I got on with it.

Over the last week, I have made notes galore, read everything about eating disorders from loads of books and internet sites and spent 6 hours yesterday getting all put together to make an essay out of it. BUT while reading through some of the notes the HCA course sent me, I began noticing lots of spelling mistakes and gramitical errors and some of the text was referring to American facts and figures even though this is a British Course. I was a little annoyed that this stuff obvisously had not been proof read, so I phoned the Home course company up.

They put me in touch with my allotted tutor and I becan to explain things to him, saying how disapointed I was with the errors etc and the American theme of it. He sounded suprized when I said this and asked me what modules I had been sent out, when I told him, he was shocked and said I had been sent the WRONG course.

I could of wept there and then down the phone. I explained about all the work I had put in and he could only apologise and say as a HCA that it would be benifical, but he would get the correct course out to me by Monday.

So I ask, if any of you are doing a Home Study Course, then please double check with the company that they have sent you all the correct paperwork. I only wish I had checked earlier, I am just glad that I didn't get much further than the whole research stage.

Angel x

6 Replies
Angel
Topic starter
(@angel)
Noble Member

Well the CORRECT course arrived a couple of days after making the post and I almost wish they kept with the first one. lol

Apparently, the first one they sent was the right one after all, it was just an old version, the new one came out this month.

In the old one, I had 2 assignments, one was 750 words and one was 1500 words long. In the new course package, I have 5 assignments, each one been 1500 words each. ekkkkkkkkk.

At least I'm on the right track now.

Angel x

Angel
Topic starter
(@angel)
Noble Member

Juat an update (in case any one is interested)

Second and third packs arrived...pack two all about diet and nutrition (again) and pack 3 all on Counselling. I could of cried, I have just left level 3 counselling cos I found it so boring. All together I have 12 assignments to do at 1500- 2500 words per assignement...that'll keep me busy.

The on Saturday morning another pack arrived, with a text book....more notes but no assignements thank goodness. After spending the weekend reading through everything, I realised there is nothing about A & P, medical care, first aid etc. So I phoned the company this morning and was told "more" packs would be arriving as the course went on, the A & P would arrive this week with another 4 assignemnts.

SO....if anyone is interested in doing a Home study course, let me tell you, you do recieve a fair amount of work. I have already filled one lever arch file with all the paperwork they have sent....I guess a small rain forest is getting destroyed somewhere though, which is quiet sad really.

Angel x

Bambi
(@bambi)
Eminent Member

Hi there, which company are you studying with? Im also interested to know what a Health Course Assistant is? Do you have to do case studies??
Im studying CBT with Stonebridge at the moment and so far so good! I notice you said you did counselling, was that home study too? Was it really boring? Have you done any other courses? Im aiming my study towards eating disorders and enjoying it very much - hard work as you say!! Keep in touch and let me know how you get on! Bambi x

Angel
Topic starter
(@angel)
Noble Member

Hiya Bambi

I am studying with The National Home Study College.

A healthcare assistant is a person who helps the nurses out in hospitals or clinics. They have quite a fair amount of responsibilites and it's not just feeding patients and making beds anymore. HCA's now do ECG, take blood samples, take blood pressures, clean and dress wounds, remove catherters and there is talk of them shortly doing flu vaccinations and even more hands on work.

At the moment I am doing all the theory side of things, then I will need to find a placement to get the hands on training doing venepuncture etc. I believe the surgery of the hospital I go to, will then put me through the practical side of things.....another HCA course, put practical this time.

The counselling courses I did were at college and I started to find them boring because, we just had to sit there and listen to our clients, (which counsellors are supposed to do) we were not allowed to offer advice or anything and I am a really hands on type of person. I felt frustrated not been able to do anything put listen, paraphrase, summerise etc. But at least if will come in useful when I have the couselling assignments to do for the HCA course.

Good look with the CBT course.

Angel x

Angel
Topic starter
(@angel)
Noble Member

Hiya everyone

Just want to share with you all, I handed my first assignment in last week on Vegetarians and Diet and I got a letter today telling me I got a

Grade A

I am absolutely buzzing, this is the first essay I have ever wrote (outside of school that is) and I got top marks. I'm chuffed to pieces.

Angel x

Angelic Light
(@angelic-light)
Reputable Member
Share: