Full Moon

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Celia
Topic starter
(@celia)
Noble Member

Having a close friend who is studying for an astronomy degree part time - I seem to keep reading bits about the subject every where I look!

One such is the following -

"No matter where you go on Earth, the moon is always in the same phase. The only anomaly is that if, in Europe, the left side of the Moon is dark, the shadow will be on the right when viewed from Australia. We'll all see a Full Moon tonight, but what we see in it is another matter. Some will envisage the face of a man. Others may perceive a figure carrying a lantern or a lady with her hair up wearing a jewelled necklace. Maoris see a woman by a tree; the Japanese, a rabbit making rice cake"

Thinking about that - made me wonder if HP'ers had any favourite lore / rituals / beliefs about full moons?

Have a good day!

Celia

7 Replies
Patchouli
(@patchouli)
Noble Member

Don't know much about myths but when I fifnished work tonight I was driving up to my accountants to sign end of yewar stuff and the moon tonight is massive. It looks beautiful again as it did on New Years eve.

Patchouli

Reikiangel
(@reikiangel)
Illustrious Member

I too was struck by how enormous and beautiful the moon looked tonight when I went to my car after work. I believe Mars will be visable tonight too, quite close to the moon. I just hope it's not too cloudy later!

Love and light

reikiangel

xxx

Holistic
(@holistic)
Illustrious Member

More about it on Yahoo News, including the reason this one is so big and bright:

and the BBC's weatherman was talking about it on the Points West forecast video I've just watched, where there was a background photo someone had taken of the moon centered above Glastonbury Tor - stunning pic! 🙂

Holistic

Celia
Topic starter
(@celia)
Noble Member

Apologies to anyone who feels confused - this post is not about ASTROLOGY - its about ASTRONOMY and any subsequent lore... hence why it originally went in general discussions. Sadly it got moved....Maybe it will end up in the trash now....

Maeshadow
(@maeshadow)
Honorable Member

More about it on Yahoo News, including the reason this one is so big and bright:

and the BBC's weatherman was talking about it on the Points West forecast video I've just watched, where there was a background photo someone had taken of the moon centered above Glastonbury Tor - stunning pic! 🙂

Holistic

This being the first full moon of 2010, it is also known as the wolf moon, a moniker dating back to Native American culture and the notion that hungry wolves howled at the full moon on cold winter nights
Very interesting!! Great link there Holistic!!

(@celtia)
Noble Member

Yes - what an interesting link. A few clicks in you get to 10 fascinating moon facts and the names of all the moons for 2010!

Well I never......

clarice08
(@clarice08)
Estimable Member

The moon is as beautiful as ever this month, seems to just tower over eveything else!.. (yes, i know, it's in the sky lol..) I had noticed it a couple of evenings ago. Interesting link. x

Share: