Convincing a friend...

Notifications
Clear all

Convincing a friend?

susananne
Topic starter
(@susananne)

Hello there, recently I found myself trying to encourage a friend to becoming a Vegetarian which is something I usually wouldnt do. She was not considering becoming one or anything like that, She was just asking me why I dont eat meat etc and without knowing I felt urged to try and convince her to become Vegetarian. Have you ever tried to convince anyone to be a Vegetarian and do you think its a bad thing to do?

5 Replies
Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Hello there, recently I found myself trying to encourage a friend to becoming a Vegetarian which is something I usually wouldnt do. She was not considering becoming one or anything like that, She was just asking me why I dont eat meat etc and without knowing I felt urged to try and convince her to become Vegetarian. Have you ever tried to convince anyone to be a Vegetarian and do you think its a bad thing to do?

I think its a bad idea to try to persuade ANYONE to change their views on something like that. Its the sort of things people need to make up their own minds about.

susananne
Topic starter
(@susananne)

Hi I completely agree with you and wouldnt usually do such a thing. But then it got me thinking is trying to educate someone when they ask you a question also not putting your views across? And obviously in a biast way in this case therefore not a way of trying to persuade a person? Hope that makes sense.

Energylz
(@energylz)

I think if someone asks you a question you just answer it honestly.
I remember a vegan once (ooo about 20 odd years ago now) telling me that I shouldn't eat meat, but I hadn't asked about it, and he was trying to make me feel bad about eating meat, so all that did was put me off him.

All Love and Reiki Hugs

darrensurrey
(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

They're right. Like anything, you cannot convince someone to do something. Whether it's quitting smoking, taking up tai chi or being a vegan, they have to already have an interest in wanting to do it.

I think if someone asks you a question you just answer it honestly.
I remember a vegan once (ooo about 20 odd years ago now) telling me that I shouldn't eat meat, but I hadn't asked about it, and he was trying to make me feel bad about eating meat, so all that did was put me off him.

All Love and Reiki Hugs

How do you know if there's a vegan at your party? They'll let you know.

Mountaineer
(@mountaineer)
Prominent Member

There are various videos on YouTube exposing the realities of the meat industry. I forget the title, but the one narrated by Sir Paul MacCartney is a powerful one.

You could say, "Why am I a vegetarian? THIS is why I am a vegetarian."
There is no remedy for hardness of heart I find, but you never know, it might change her opinion. At the very least she'll understand where you are coming from after seeing all that.

Share: